News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Unusual placement of power lines/other objects in medians or islands

Started by index, July 26, 2019, 07:28:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: X99 on November 12, 2019, 06:25:53 PM
In Rapid City, SD, West Chicago Street has power lines above short trees in the median between 32nd and 44th Streets. They have to trim the trees at least once a year to keep them from growing too tall and hitting the power lines.

I have never understood doing that. It just looks terrible once the trees get tall enough and have to be trimmed.

TheGrassGuy

Are we just talking about America? Because there is a median power line at the intersection between Furongjiang Rd (芙蓉江路) and Tianshan Rd (天山路) in Shanghai.
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

kphoger

I enjoy finding locations where there are poles in the middle of the street without a median.  I had been racking my brain for a while trying to come up with a town I found on GSV in Guatemala with a couple of streets like that, but then I realized I've driven a great example multiple times.

Here is recent GSV of Calzada del Márquez on the east side of Parras, Coahuila.  I don't believe they're actually utility poles, but rather support poles used during the town's annual grape and wine festival, which takes place along the street with multiple vendor stalls setting up along the pavement.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on November 26, 2019, 01:24:29 PM
Are we just talking about America? Because there is a median power line at the intersection between Furongjiang Rd (芙蓉江路) and Tianshan Rd (天山路) in Shanghai.

Satellite view here, including the tower's shadow in the intersection.  (Note that the street map and the satellite view do not line up, because China.)
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: kphoger on November 26, 2019, 02:09:21 PM
Quote from: TheGrassGuy on November 26, 2019, 01:24:29 PM

Satellite view here, including the tower's shadow in the intersection.  (Note that the street map and the satellite view do not line up, because China.)
You do realize that Baidu Maps and QQ Maps exist?

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: kphoger on November 26, 2019, 02:44:28 PM
Baidu wasn't loading well for me.
Try QQ. Baidu might be disproportionately laggy on some networks outside of China.

kphoger

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on November 26, 2019, 03:41:07 PM

Quote from: kphoger on November 26, 2019, 02:44:28 PM
Baidu wasn't loading well for me.

Try QQ. Baidu might be disproportionately laggy on some networks outside of China.

Not knowing Chinese, I can't figure out how to share a link from QQ Maps.

Figured it out
Male pronouns, please.

CNGL-Leudimin

Baidu. With Street View to boot. For me it works fine most of the time.

Back in June they cut the pine trees that grew in the median of Italian A4 between Padova and Venice. They were a well-known landmark. RIP.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

TheGrassGuy

kphoger

Yeah...  Baidu still just gives me a blank white page, so screw that site.  As for street view on QQ Maps–I knew how to get there, but it wants me to install a new version of Adobe in order to view it.
Male pronouns, please.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: kphoger on November 27, 2019, 10:03:33 AM
but it wants me to install a new version of Adobe Flash in order to view it.

Fixed that for you. Adobe, on its own, is a company, not software.

Also: don't use Flash anymore (especially with a Chinese website!) It is an outdated, insecure, piece of shit software.

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.