News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

SW Pennsylvania

Started by rickmastfan67, November 30, 2011, 10:27:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARMOURERERIC

I was surprised to see that the ramps would eliminate Bates Street access from the Parkway WB, I wonder what alternative will provide drivers WB with easy Oakland access?

JawnwoodS96

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on May 22, 2015, 08:16:26 PM
I was surprised to see that the ramps would eliminate Bates Street access from the Parkway WB, I wonder what alternative will provide drivers WB with easy Oakland access?
I think there are about four alternatives with the 376/43/885 interchange. The NS-24A option keeps the WB access with Bates Street (With access to 2nd Ave. intact as well).
Major interstates driven: i64, i264(VA), i66, i68, i70, i270(DC & OH), i71, i74, i75, i275 (Cin), i76, i376, i476, i77, i79, i279, i579, i80, i480 (OH), i81, i83, i283, i85, i185(GA), i285, i485, i90, i95, i295(VA & NJ), i495, i695(MD), i99

Go Steelers, Pirates, and Penguins!

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: Hoss6884 on June 16, 2015, 12:51:15 PM
I was driving around the Airport today and I noticed two stub ramps at the interchange with I-376 and the western terminus of BL-376.
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.5120127,-80.2750409,461m/data=!3m1!1e3

Can anyone tell me anything about this?  All Historical Aerials tells me is that the stubs existed as far back as 1993.
http://historicaerials.com?layer=1993&zoom=17&lat=40.51145001523443&lon=-80.27712106704712

I would guess that the stubs are for direct connection flyovers from north I-376 to east BUS I-376.
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

Mr_Northside

Turnpike officials revive Mon-Fayette Expressway extension

Killing off the leg to downtown may make it somewhat more affordable.... But I still won't believe it till I see the earth being moved.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

ARMOURERERIC

As a later phase, they could build a reversible "super 2(3) " connector from the Parkway to the Glenwood Bridge based on the build out plans, this combined with some version of an exit from 43 in Jefferson Hills to an PA 885 connector, would give alot of aid to South Hills residents without overloading Mifflin Road.

Mr_Northside

Officials consider new color for iconic Sister Bridges across Allegheny

Not sure what I think about the idea in general.
And the poll questions are kind of dumb.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Mr_Northside on June 19, 2015, 09:21:30 PM
Officials consider new color for iconic Sister Bridges across Allegheny

Not sure what I think about the idea in general.
And the poll questions are kind of dumb.

It's simple.  KEEP THEM GOLD!!!!

Zeffy

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on June 20, 2015, 12:34:29 AM
It's simple.  KEEP THEM GOLD!!!!

Amen. These golden bridges are a Pittsburgh icon.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

rickmastfan67

ARMOURERERIC

I remember them before they were gold.

Mr_Northside

PennDOT wants to revise interchange on Route 119 in Fayette County

We'll see if/what happens with this.  It would eliminate 2 traffic signals, making PA-982 the first one you'd encounter traveling south from New Stanton.
Hoping PennDOT or some organization puts the plans they are showing at the meeting online to be viewed as well.

Mr_Northside

How did the Fort Pitt Bridge get its color?

Some interesting pictures and information from a paint job project in 1981.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Mr_Northside on September 16, 2015, 11:42:59 AM
How did the Fort Pitt Bridge get its color?

Some interesting pictures and information from a paint job project in 1981.

Love the shots of the old signage on the bridge!

PITCHS

PennDOT claims they are considering roundabouts as the first option for intersection reconfigurations and sites like the new New Castle and Bentleyville interchanges on I-70 will make extensive use of them as well, like we see in Europe and even a few thousand miles west on I-70 in Vail, CO.

If funding continues to be decent and they can fix the low hanging fruit over the next 5-10 years, when they finally get to the incredibly substandard portions of I-376 east and west of Pittsburgh, can any of you envision something as elegant as this at Greentree or Squirrel Hill? (Switch to satellite view)

https://maps.google.com/?q=40.547259,-3.895407&hl=en-US&gl=us

Gnutella

Quote from: PITCHS on October 01, 2015, 12:33:10 PM
PennDOT claims they are considering roundabouts as the first option for intersection reconfigurations and sites like the new New Castle and Bentleyville interchanges on I-70 will make extensive use of them as well, like we see in Europe and even a few thousand miles west on I-70 in Vail, CO.

If funding continues to be decent and they can fix the low hanging fruit over the next 5-10 years, when they finally get to the incredibly substandard portions of I-376 east and west of Pittsburgh, can any of you envision something as elegant as this at Greentree or Squirrel Hill? (Switch to satellite view)

https://maps.google.com/?q=40.547259,-3.895407&hl=en-US&gl=us

There's probably not enough room for roundabouts at many of the interchanges along I-376. I think SPUIs would be a better way to go at several of them, including the Green Tree/Mt. Lebanon, Edgewood/Swissvale and Churchill interchanges. Maybe a modified SPUI could work at the Bates Street/Oakland interchange too. If there's one place where a grand roundabout could work, it's the Wilkinsburg/Forest Hills interchange. There's enough room inside the existing interchange footprint for a roundabout with multiple lanes and a decent radius. Speaking of radii, I hope the roundabouts that PennDOT is building now have large enough radii for 18-wheelers to use without dragging their trailers over curbs or grass.

ARMOURERERIC

I always felt that Greentree/Craft on and Squirrel hill should get the "Shirlington Rotary" treatment

PITCHS

Eventually they will have to get creative and do something with several of those interchanges. I'd like to see a complete redesign at Carnegie too. All are very challenging but it will be a long time before we see them addressed so plenty of time to think of something that's never been considered before.

JoeP

I don't understand how the Parkway West can be an interstate with the clear lack of standards at Carnegie and Greentree.

It's really disgusting that people have to drive on something stuck in the 1950s. This should have been addressed decades ago.

CanesFan27

New blog entry that covers the conversion of PA 71 to Interstate 70 (then Interstate 70S) from Washington, PA to New Stanton from 1958 - 1960.  During this time a number of at grades were eliminated, four new interchanges were built, and three others were reconfigured.

http://surewhynotnow.blogspot.com/2015/11/the-first-series-of-upgrades-to.html

seicer

Too bad many of those side ramps aren't being closed during the reconstruction of Interstate 70. Many of these interchanges could simply be combined.

ARMOURERERIC

Just Read that the Parkway east will close between Christmas and New Years for the demolition of the Greenfield Bridge.

ARMOURERERIC

Greenfield Bridge came down this morning, even though the requisite explosives detonated, the Schenly Park approach remained standing, although mangled up.

dave19

DeaconG

Quote from: dave19 on December 29, 2015, 11:02:19 PM
http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2015/12/28/greenfield-bridge-implosion-day/

Did anyone notice that the bridge began imploding before she dropped the plunger? Look at the center of the bridge, it lights off just as she starts to drop the plunger.
Coordination, folks...
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

BrianP

Quote from: DeaconG on December 31, 2015, 08:14:21 AM
Quote from: dave19 on December 29, 2015, 11:02:19 PM
http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2015/12/28/greenfield-bridge-implosion-day/

Did anyone notice that the bridge began imploding before she dropped the plunger? Look at the center of the bridge, it lights off just as she starts to drop the plunger.
Coordination, folks...
The plunger was probably for show.  The actual explosion was probably started with the press of a button.  But since you said coordination you probably realized that.  So I'd say close enough.  It's not that important.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.