News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

SW Pennsylvania

Started by rickmastfan67, November 30, 2011, 10:27:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

74/171FAN

Bitmapped

Quote from: 74/171FAN on February 18, 2022, 07:44:21 AM
(Also for PA 201) PennDOT - District 12 News: PennDOT Announces Updated Virtual Plans Display for Route 3007 (Fayette Street) over Interstate 70 Bridge Replacement Project in Westmoreland County

I'm surprised they are just raising the existing PA 201 bridge rather than replacing it. It's an original through girder structure. Maybe this is a temporary project until they do a larger rehab in this section?

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

davewiecking

Quote from: Bitmapped on February 18, 2022, 12:12:54 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on February 18, 2022, 07:44:21 AM
(Also for PA 201) PennDOT - District 12 News: PennDOT Announces Updated Virtual Plans Display for Route 3007 (Fayette Street) over Interstate 70 Bridge Replacement Project in Westmoreland County

I'm surprised they are just raising the existing PA 201 bridge rather than replacing it. It's an original through girder structure. Maybe this is a temporary project until they do a larger rehab in this section?

Bridge has a fresh coat of paint, so I imagine PennDOT has a good idea of its condition. Main span support at 4 discrete points, so I imagine it'll be pretty simple to "slip in some shims"  so to speak. If they rebuilt the whole thing, they'd probably have to widen the shoulders and reconfigure the ramps. And figure out how to access the handful of properties along Greenhill Rd.

Gnutella

I've looked at some of the reconstructed segments of I-70 south of Pittsburgh, and they're a major upgrade from what the highway used to be.

mvak36

Quote from: Gnutella on February 27, 2022, 06:12:45 AM
I've looked at some of the reconstructed segments of I-70 south of Pittsburgh, and they're a major upgrade from what the highway used to be.

Yeah. They've made a lot of changes these last 10 years. One thing I noticed was they fixed those short ramp merges on the interchanges.

Here's the PennDOT site for those projects: https://www.i-70projects.com/
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

Mr_Northside

Clearly the major priority of where the money has gone has been to ramp/interchange reconstructions and improvements. (Still quite a few left to do)

I also agree the completed portions, while still in a pretty narrow footprint, are a major upgrade.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

Roadsguy

Quote from: Mr_Northside on February 28, 2022, 04:32:27 PM
Clearly the major priority of where the money has gone has been to ramp/interchange reconstructions and improvements. (Still quite a few left to do)

I also agree the completed portions, while still in a pretty narrow footprint, are a major upgrade.

Yes, I've been on some of them, and while it would have been better if they had widened it to six lanes with full shoulders, it's still much better than the untouched sections. The narrow inside shoulder is about as wide as the unreconstructed Turnpike sections, and all the overpasses are being built long enough (and even some mainline bridges wide enough) to allow for a third lane. I wonder if there were right-of-way constraints that made them choose between a wider inside shoulder or a future third lane?
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

MASTERNC

Quote from: 74/171FAN on March 02, 2022, 02:43:01 PM
(For I-70) PennDOT - District 12 News: Interstate 70 Closures and Restrictions Anticipated Next Week for Emergency

I think that this is all within the I-70/PA 51 interchange.

Crazy that they make you go 4 miles out of the way instead of letting people make left turns to turn around, but I get that might create a mess.

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.