News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

SW Pennsylvania

Started by rickmastfan67, November 30, 2011, 10:27:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

rickmastfan67

Seems that there are going to be adding traffic lights to the 'middle' of the Highland Park Bridge connector here in Pittsburgh.  That will be weird for sure.

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/transportation/2022/03/27/highland-park-bridge-route-28-penndot-ramp-closure-traffic-disruptions/stories/202203250107

QuoteThe project also will change the configuration of traffic entering the bridge to eliminate a dangerous merge for northbound traffic. And traffic signals will be installed where Freeport Road traffic merges onto the bridge to head south and on Freeport Road at the ramp just past Western Avenue in Aspinwall that takes traffic to a merge point on the bridge and then onto Route 28.

74/171FAN

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on April 17, 2022, 10:45:20 PM
Seems that there are going to be adding traffic lights to the 'middle' of the Highland Park Bridge connector here in Pittsburgh.  That will be weird for sure.

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/transportation/2022/03/27/highland-park-bridge-route-28-penndot-ramp-closure-traffic-disruptions/stories/202203250107

QuoteThe project also will change the configuration of traffic entering the bridge to eliminate a dangerous merge for northbound traffic. And traffic signals will be installed where Freeport Road traffic merges onto the bridge to head south and on Freeport Road at the ramp just past Western Avenue in Aspinwall that takes traffic to a merge point on the bridge and then onto Route 28.

Well that ends any slim chance to convince me to add the Highland Park Bridge to usasf in Travel Mapping.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: 74/171FAN on April 17, 2022, 11:07:11 PM

Well that ends any slim chance to convince me to add the Highland Park Bridge to usasf in Travel Mapping.

Yep, here's the proof:
https://www.penndot.pa.gov/RegionalOffices/district-11/PublicMeetings/AlleghenyCounty/Documents/28_HPI_Roll_Plot_Mar20-Final%20Design%20(1).pdf

From: https://www.penndot.pa.gov/RegionalOffices/district-11/ConstructionsProjectsAndRoadwork/AlleghenyCountyConstruction/Pages/HighlandParkInterchangeProject.aspx

74/171FAN

Bitmapped

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on April 18, 2022, 02:49:49 AM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on April 17, 2022, 11:07:11 PM

Yep, here's the proof:
https://www.penndot.pa.gov/RegionalOffices/district-11/PublicMeetings/AlleghenyCounty/Documents/28_HPI_Roll_Plot_Mar20-Final%20Design%20(1).pdf

From: https://www.penndot.pa.gov/RegionalOffices/district-11/ConstructionsProjectsAndRoadwork/AlleghenyCountyConstruction/Pages/HighlandParkInterchangeProject.aspx

There is a short weave right of only about 200 feet right now now approaching PA 28. Short of relocating ramps, which would be difficult, this is really the only way to eliminate the weave. Traffic can queue up in the correct lane at the signal and then go when the 2-phase signal cycles back and forth. The delay should be pretty minimal.

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

coldshoulder

Quote from: 74/171FAN on April 21, 2022, 04:16:18 PM
(For I-376 BL)  PennDOT - District 11 News: Route 3160 Business Loop 376 Long-term Single-lane Closures Begin Next Week in Moon

Just curious about the "Route 3160" designation, as I've never seen or heard it referenced before anywhere.
Is it fairly recent?  And what is the purpose? Is the 3160 a state, county, or township route number? Is it signed as both 3160/Bus. Loop 376? And does the dual designation cause any confusion?
You're just like crosstown traffic
All you do is slow me down
And I got better things on the other side of town

Crown Victoria

Quote from: coldshoulder on April 22, 2022, 10:36:01 PM
(For I-376 BL)  PennDOT - District 11 News: Route 3160 Business Loop 376 Long-term Single-lane Closures Begin Next Week in Moon

Just curious about the "Route 3160" designation, as I've never seen or heard it referenced before anywhere.
Is it fairly recent?  And what is the purpose? Is the 3160 a state, county, or township route number? Is it signed as both 3160/Bus. Loop 376? And does the dual designation cause any confusion?

In PA, secondary routes are given a 4-digit number. Each county is divided into 4 quadrants, and number is assigned according to the quadrant a given route is located in. These numbers are unique within a county, but they can repeat across the state.

In this case, "Route 3160" is the internal designation for BL-376. It is not signed like Interstates, US Routes, and State Routes are, but the number can be found on the "Little White Signs" commonplace throughout PA.

There are other 4-digit designations for relocated routes (such as the old US 6 in Lackawanna County), interchanges, rest areas, and even PA Turnpike routes.

Some background on the Location Referencing System: https://www.penndot.pa.gov/ProjectAndPrograms/ResearchandTesting/RoadwayManagementandTesting/Documents/LOCATION%20REFERENCING%20SYSTEM.pdf

74/171FAN, did I get this right?

Roadsguy

Quote from: Crown Victoria on April 22, 2022, 11:28:20 PM

In PA, secondary routes are given a 4-digit number. Each county is divided into 4 quadrants, and number is assigned according to the quadrant a given route is located in. These numbers are unique within a county, but they can repeat across the state.

In this case, "Route 3160" is the internal designation for BL-376. It is not signed like Interstates, US Routes, and State Routes are, but the number can be found on the "Little White Signs" commonplace throughout PA.

There are other 4-digit designations for relocated routes (such as the old US 6 in Lackawanna County), interchanges, rest areas, and even PA Turnpike routes.

Some background on the Location Referencing System: https://www.penndot.pa.gov/ProjectAndPrograms/ResearchandTesting/RoadwayManagementandTesting/Documents/LOCATION%20REFERENCING%20SYSTEM.pdf

In fact, all state-owned routes are given a four digit number, with signed routes padded with leading zeroes (e.g., SR 0001, SR 0095, SR 0309). Often the leading zeroes are omitted, though, such as on the little white section markers.

Business routes are usually numbered with a 3 or a 6 for the first digit, followed by the three digits of the parent route. (The "60" in the aforementioned SR 3160 is because I-376 here used to be PA 60 until 2009, but I don't know why the 1 is there.) US 6N, PA's only suffixed route, is internally numbered in a similar way: SR 3006.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Bitmapped

Quote from: Roadsguy on April 22, 2022, 11:44:08 PM

In fact, all state-owned routes are given a four digit number, with signed routes padded with leading zeroes (e.g., SR 0001, SR 0095, SR 0309). Often the leading zeroes are omitted, though, such as on the little white section markers.

Business routes are usually numbered with a 3 or a 6 for the first digit, followed by the three digits of the parent route. (The "60" in the aforementioned SR 3160 is because I-376 here used to be PA 60 until 2009, but I don't know why the 1 is there.) US 6N, PA's only suffixed route, is internally numbered in a similar way: SR 3006.

There was probably already a SR 3060 in Allegheny County at the time PA 60 became Business PA 60, likely somewhere around North Fayette Township. The route number no longer exists but the next couple numbers before and after it do. It likely was a victim of a turnback to a township or to Allegheny County, which unusually for Pennsylvania, does maintain some roads on its own.

74/171FAN

Yeah, you basically got it right.

74/171FAN

jemacedo9

That's not necessarily true; business routes starting with a 3 or 6.  There is no consistency.  Some times they are just regular quadrant routes numbers. Other times the US route number is embedded.
US 1 Business - SR 2037 Bucks County
US 6 Business - SR 6006 Lackawanna County and SR 6006 Warren County
US 15 Business - SR 2005 Tioga County and SR 3001 Adams County
US 22 Business - SR 3002 Mifflin County and SR 2048 Allegheny County
US 30 Business - SR 3070 Chester County
US 40 Business - SR 2040 Fayette County
US 202 Business - SR 2202 in Montgomery County and SR 4202 in Bucks County
US 219 Business - SR 2047 Somerset County
US 220 Business - SR 4009 Bedford County, SR 1001 and SR 3013 Blair County
US 222 Business - SR 3222 and SR 2005 Berks County
US 322 Business - SR 2003 and SR 3072 in Chester County, SR 3014 Centre County
US 422 Business - combination of SR 3422, SR 2008, SR 2010, SR 2021, SR 2054 in Berks County, SR 4422 in Indiana County, SR 2004 and SR 4002 in Lawrence County

SR 6--- are supposed to be temporary numbers.  Business PA 309 in Luzerne County has SR 6309.

Bitmapped

Quote from: jemacedo9 on April 26, 2022, 08:57:07 PM

That's not necessarily true; business routes starting with a 3 or 6.  There is no consistency.  Some times they are just regular quadrant routes numbers.

SR 6--- are supposed to be temporary numbers.  Business PA 309 in Luzerne County has SR 6309.

I think the SR 3xxx cases are just that the routes happened to be in that quadrant of the county. Hence, the other Businesses cases with other quadrant route numbers. In some cases, it looks like PennDOT tried being cute by including the 3 digits of the traffic route part in the number.

US 6N being Erie SR 3006 seems like it is actually a coincidence with it fitting in where that number would be with the grid. PennDOT numbers even SR numbers as east-west, starting at one end of the county and moving in sequentially.

SR 6xxx are listed as being for "relocated traffic routes" in PennDOT's LRS documentation, not necessarily temporary numbers. Business PA 309 being SR 6309 would make sense assuming that it was previously PA 309. Same with the Business US 6 examples. In some other cases of recently relocated routes that I can think of, they got quadrant routes numbers rather than 6xxx.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.