News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Arkansas highway history document

Started by bugo, June 15, 2012, 10:10:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

http://www.arkansashighways.com/historic_bridge/Historic_Documents/History%20Book%202004.pdf

It's a history of Arkansas highways, with several pictures of old bridges and even some old signage, including cutouts.

agentsteel53

Arkansas US 65 on page 52.  I have one just like it on my fence!

on page 67 - I had never seen the block-font 24" oversize shield.  also, it appears that the state route sign is being painted by hand, as late as 1948. 

is there a way to get higher-resolution scans of some of these photos?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

bugo

Quote from: agentsteel53 on June 15, 2012, 10:58:35 AM

on page 67 - I had never seen the block-font 24" oversize shield.  also, it appears that the state route sign is being painted by hand, as late as 1948. 

You might be able to if you contact AHTD.

mcdonaat

I need your fence. All I have on mine is a watering hose holder. I would love to have an Arkansas US highway shield!

bugo

Here's mine.  It has been through a lot (it hung on the side of a barn for decades,) but it hangs on my wall inside so hopefully it won't deteriorate any further.  If you look closely, some of the white paint is still visible.  US 59 was commissioned in 1934, and I believe that's about when this sign was made and posted.

M86

Quote from: bugo on June 15, 2012, 10:10:27 AM
http://www.arkansashighways.com/historic_bridge/Historic_Documents/History%20Book%202004.pdf

It's a history of Arkansas highways, with several pictures of old bridges and even some old signage, including cutouts.

Great...  I have so many puns regarding AHTD....

And, good luck... AHTD is equivalent to death... Your mileage may vary.

US71

Quote from: bugo on June 15, 2012, 12:04:58 PM

Just remember: there's about a 2 out of 3 chance of getting someone clueless  :verymad:
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

mcdonaat

Quote from: US71 on June 29, 2012, 10:34:02 PM
Quote from: bugo on June 15, 2012, 12:04:58 PM

Just remember: there's about a 2 out of 3 chance of getting someone clueless  :verymad:
Same incident here in Louisiana. Nobody could tell me where the parish route markers were posted, as parishes "do not keep track of them," along with the DOTD holding no knowledge. I guess it's fair warning to say that if anyone wants a parish route marker, head to your nearest parish and grab one.

AHTD couldn't tell me if signs with the state name were being replaced or not. "AHTD knows nothing about the addition of state names to signs, and any signs erroneously posted in the open are in violation of MUTCD standards."

US71

Quote from: mcdonaat on June 29, 2012, 11:02:08 PM

Same incident here in Louisiana. Nobody could tell me where the parish route markers were posted, as parishes "do not keep track of them," along with the DOTD holding no knowledge. I guess it's fair warning to say that if anyone wants a parish route marker, head to your nearest parish and grab one.

AHTD couldn't tell me if signs with the state name were being replaced or not. "AHTD knows nothing about the addition of state names to signs, and any signs erroneously posted in the open are in violation of MUTCD standards."

A few years back, I wrote AHTD asking the the state markers went from State XX Road to Arkansas XX and was told  We quit making the cut-out type route marker signs sometime after 1971.  The Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices was revised in 1971 and it changed the cut-out type route markers to a square or rectangular shape.  This was from the Assistant State Maintenance Engineer.

I'd love to get a tour of their shop and see if there are any hiding in the corner, but they probably ground them all up for scrap :(

Maybe we need a Roadmeet in Little Rock and can arrange for a tour of the sign shop. 
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.