News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Getting From Your County to the Rest of the Country

Started by CoreySamson, December 06, 2021, 02:00:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: hbelkins on December 07, 2021, 11:32:45 AM
Not even worth it for me to try to do a map. I only have state routes in my county, and none cross state lines. Only 18 Kentucky counties total can be reached from roads in my county.

It could be worse. Nassau and Suffolk counties, NY only get each other, Queens, Kings (a.k.a. Brooklyn) and maybe New York (a.k.a. Manhattan) depending on how one counts I-/NY 495. Richmond County, NY (a.k.a. State Island) only gets the other New York City boroughs and Union County, NJ (although one could argue for Hudson County, NJ as well; I don't count that as I consider different state routes in different states different routes even if they bear the same number). The aforementioned Queens and Kings get the other NYC boroughs, the other two Long Island counties, and Union.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

ran4sh

Clarke and Oconee counties in GA have the same four US routes, so their maps would look similar. However none of those routes reaches outside the South (counting Maryland as South): US 29, 78, 129, and 441 (routes reach Maryland/DC, Memphis TN, Charleston, eastern TN, and Florida)

Hall County GA has fewer US routes but does manage to leave the South, because it has US 23 (and US 129). So from Hall County the routes reach from Florida to Michigan.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

Hot Rod Hootenanny

For Delaware County, Ohio version. The answer is 156.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Shedingtonian

Since Spain doesn't have "counties", I decided to use the closest thing: municipalities.
A-7 and N-340 do a great job at connecting my home with the rest of the country's eastern coast. There's a reason it's called the Highway of the Mediterranean.
Fictional maps, road signs, video game projects... Visit Shedingtonian's Virtual Dump,
and read the blog to keep up to date with what's going on with me.

And yes, I'm still studying civil engineering.

triplemultiplex

Dane County, WI

That was fun.  I like how US 51 'takes over' for I-39 both north and south.
(Whoops, missed Trempealeau County for I-94. Oh well.)
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

SEWIGuy

Quote from: triplemultiplex on December 08, 2021, 11:55:43 AM
Dane County, WI

That was fun.  I like how US 51 'takes over' for I-39 both north and south.
(Whoops, missed Trempealeau County for I-94. Oh well.)

WI-22?

clong

what's on my screen
Jefferson County, AL (Birmingham) was more connected than I would have anticipated especially beyond interstates. 266 total counties (including Jefferson).

I did include US11 and US31 north of their respective splits into E and W in Tennessee, Kentucky and Virginia. Most of US31 while split were counties already reached by I-65. The US11 split is just from Knoxville to Bristol with only 1 county in TN not being entered by both versions. If you don't want to include them for your purposes, the splits are shaded a slightly different color.

MikieTimT

Washington County, AR has 2 routes to Canada and 1 to Mexico, one of which goes both to Canada and Mexico as an E/W US route (62).

US 89

I spent way too long on this. Here's Fulton County, GA:

triplemultiplex

Quote from: SEWIGuy on December 08, 2021, 12:05:13 PM
WI-22?

Southern terminus in Columbia County, not Dane. ;)

Just for fun, I did Milwaukee County since I lived there back when I joined this forum.

Side note: Georgia has way too many goddamn counties!  The hell's going on down there? :-D

froggie

Quote from: webny99 on December 06, 2021, 03:13:27 PM
I'm also curious, aside from the obvious (Delaware), if there are any counties that have a connecting route to every other county in their state.

Washington County, VT

Quote from: hbelkins on December 07, 2021, 11:32:45 AM
Not even worth it for me to try to do a map. I only have state routes in my county, and none cross state lines. Only 18 Kentucky counties total can be reached from roads in my county.

Even some of use who have more than state routes are limited...

SEWIGuy

Quote from: triplemultiplex on December 09, 2021, 09:55:46 AM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on December 08, 2021, 12:05:13 PM
WI-22?

Southern terminus in Columbia County, not Dane. ;)

Just for fun, I did Milwaukee County since I lived there back when I joined this forum.

Side note: Georgia has way too many goddamn counties!  The hell's going on down there? :-D

Ah that's right about WI-22.  Thanks.

FrCorySticha

Cascade County, MT, touches much of the Western US. Its highways reach 124 counties including Cascade:

bassoon1986

I went back and did a previous locale for me: Denton County Texas. Not huge reaches outside of I-35. Dallas or Tarrant (Fort Worth) County would get a lot more, especially with things like US 287.

iPhone

oscar

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 06, 2021, 02:53:29 PM
What are you using to make the maps? (Not that I'm going to try it immediately. I live in Fairfax County, Virginia, and among the routes that pass through here are US-1, US-29, US-50, and I-95.)

You also have I-66, I-395, and I-495 (which exists in Virginia only in Fairfax County and Alexandria city).

Arlington County, Virginia has those and the other routes listed in your post, with the big exception of I-95 and the small exception of I-495. In many places, I-95 goes through the same counties as US 1, but with major exceptions in Maine, both Carolinas, and Georgia. So my map would be less impressive than yours, though both still reach out to northern California, both west (Pensacola) and south (Key West) Florida, and the Canadian border.

I'll take a pass on doing my own map.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

webny99

Quote from: oscar on December 09, 2021, 12:00:08 PM
I'll take a pass on doing my own map.

It takes some time, to be sure, but I was surprised by how quickly mine went. I was expecting to take ages to fill in I-90 across the country, but it went quickly thanks to Wikipedia's handy "Interstate [XX] in [State X]" series that lists the counties the route passes through. It looks like a similar series exists for US routes.

FrCorySticha

Quote from: webny99 on December 09, 2021, 12:05:32 PM
It takes some time, to be sure, but I was surprised by how quickly mine went. I was expecting to take ages to fill in I-90 across the country, but it went quickly thanks to Wikipedia's handy "Interstate [XX] in [State X]" series that lists the counties the route passes through. It looks like a similar series exists for US routes.

That's what I ended up using for the one Interstate and most of the length of the US highways.

JayhawkCO

Or you can use mob-rules' "View Your Travels on Google Maps".

plain

I don't live in a county, so mine would be for Richmond city limits.

US 60 is the farthest reaching, almost to CA (though it used to go there).

The few primary State Routes that serves counties not already served by the other routes are grouped together in YELLOW (VA 5, 10, 33).

Note that this is for the city only, not the metro.

moto g(7) optimo (XT1952DL)

EDIT: doesn't look like it came out right, I might have to try again.
Newark born, Richmond bred

plain

Newark born, Richmond bred

jlam

Quote from: plain on December 09, 2021, 11:44:06 PM
What did everyone use to get the map on here?
The majority of us are using mapchart.net. You can then download it and get the BBC from another website, like postimages or imgur.

bassoon1986

I've been having fun filling in maps trying to find the counties with the most connectivity.

Dallas, TX - 331 total counties
Marion, IN (Indianapolis) - 377
St. Louis, MO (county, not the city) - 403
Cook, IL (Chicago) - 710!!

Are there any that can go greater than Cook County? It had so many cross country east-west routes.

iPhone

triplemultiplex

Seems unlikely that any county can touch Cook in this category.  Lake County, IN would have an impressive showing since many of the same east-west routes pass through there.  But it wouldn't hit quite as hard with the north-south corridors.
You'd gain I-65 and US 231, but lose I-55, I-57 and US 45.  Probably not enough to make up the difference even before the drop off from not having I-88, US 14, US 34, and that dumb CKC multistater.

Any county with one of those long, angling US highways coming through is at an advantage since they lock in well over a hundred counties each.  US 52 and US 62, specifically.  For this reason, it be worth looking at Hamilton County, Ohio.  US 52, US 50 and I-75 alone should be enough to breach 300 counties.

SkyPesos

Quote from: triplemultiplex on December 16, 2021, 01:17:25 PM
For this reason, it be worth looking at Hamilton County, Ohio.  US 52, US 50 and I-75 alone should be enough to breach 300 counties.
Quote from: SkyPesos on December 06, 2021, 03:00:27 PM
I did it with metro areas 3 months ago...
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=30208.msg2662051#msg2662051

Anyways, map for Hamilton County, OH. Pretty much the metro area map without KY and IN state routes.

Total is 436 counties.

Quote from: triplemultiplex on December 16, 2021, 01:17:25 PM
Any county with one of those long, angling US highways coming through is at an advantage since they lock in well over a hundred counties each.  US 52 and US 62, specifically.
Could take a look at Brown County, OH. They lack N-S highways, but it's where US 52 and 62 meet, as well as US 50 skirting it on the north.

EDIT: Just did Brown County. It has 279 counties just from the 4 US routes that passes through it.

clong

Hamilton County, TN (Chattanooga) - 405 counties including Hamilton

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.