News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Vandalized signs

Started by hotdogPi, September 02, 2013, 02:48:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

Not sure what it's supposed to be, but at least they were neat about it.

NE2

Holy shit. That's Boehner crying.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

TCN7JM

Quote from: Buck87 on October 16, 2013, 02:00:01 PM
I once encountered a Speed Limit 35 sign on a narrow township road that someone had very neatly and carefully changed to "85" with black paint.
I've seen this as well. I'm sure it's everywhere, but I saw it near College Hill in Easton, Pennsylvania. What I'm wondering is whether or not anybody's been stupid enough to follow the sign and actually try to go 85 on a residential street.
You don't realize how convenient gridded cities are until you move somewhere the roads are a mess.

Counties

Buck87

Another one I've seen that's probably everywhere is adding "hammer time" underneath "STOP"

Mr. Matté

Quote from: DSS5 on October 16, 2013, 10:36:25 AM
Yield to the hula-hooping, coffee-drinking angel.

The "coffee" I think is a piece of Velcro™. There would normally be a can of Red Bull ("<> gives you wings.") stuck on there as well. Hamilton Avenue in New Brunswick, NJ has its ped signs with the wings and I could swear remembering seeing a can on at least one of them.

mjb2002

Someone tagged a STOP sign with blue paint along CADLE CROSSING RD in Windsor, near where one of my crushes used to live before she got the job at SCDOT. Other signs have been hit with similar vandalism along MONTMORENCI RD in Montmorenci in recent years, my local media even did stories about it.

dmuzika

Some people have made their own real life modifications with some of the "Welcome to Edmonton" signs.  While the city of Edmonton is treating it as an act of vandalism, it's really well done

QuotePranksters take liberties with Edmonton welcome signs

The city of Edmonton was toying with the idea of new branding, but this might not be what they had in mind.

Professional-looking lettering and colouring matching the existing signs offered various slogans for motorists to read, including  "˜City of Speed Traps, "˜Road Construction City' and "˜Suck it Calgary'.

And while passing drivers may have chuckled at the references, the City isn't laughing–calling the work vandalism and a matter under investigation.
http://metronews.ca/news/edmonton/812083/pranksters-take-liberties-with-edmonton-welcome-signs/#

What used to be in that location is "City of Champions", however the city is in the process of a rebrand.

Mr. Matté

Per a reddit post I saw today, this is educational vandalism:

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Zeffy

Quote from: Mr. Matté on January 06, 2014, 08:26:52 PM
Per a reddit post I saw today, this is educational vandalism:

That's hilarious.

Quote from: hbelkins on January 06, 2014, 09:23:17 PM
http://roadsignmath.com/wiki/Pineville

Well, that is a site that I would never think of in about 40000 years...
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

hbelkins

We had a "Road Sign Math" thread going here for awhile. Perhaps it's time to resurrect it. I have a whole bunch of examples that I never sent into the RSM site.

US71

Quote from: Alex on September 02, 2013, 06:20:12 PM
Quote from: Zeffy on September 02, 2013, 06:05:25 PM
I'm not sure vandalized is the correct word here... :happy:

Caltrans would disagree with you, but in this instance, they let Mr. Ankrom slide.  :nod:

Caltrans got the last laugh when the overhead was replaced and his "masterpiece" sent to the scrapyard.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

JoePCool14

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

hotdogPi

Quote from: JoePCool14 on January 20, 2014, 07:46:33 PM
Quote from: national highway 1 on September 06, 2013, 11:10:50 PM

Anyone else here think that that was Photoshoped?
No. I think it's real. What makes you think it was "Photoshoped"?
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Molandfreak

Quote from: 1 on January 20, 2014, 08:21:52 PM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on January 20, 2014, 07:46:33 PM
Quote from: national highway 1 on September 06, 2013, 11:10:50 PM
[clipped]
Anyone else here think that that was Photoshoped?
No. I think it's real. What makes you think it was "Photoshoped"?
If it were photoshopped, they did a damn good job of it. The shadow appears to be consistent.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Pete from Boston on September 02, 2013, 11:57:06 PMThe stop sign near my house at the time read "STOP CARTER."  Same unimaginative political hacks, year after years.
Circa 1979-1980, several STOP signs in Salem & Marblehead read STOP CARTER.  Only one STOP sign at the intersection of Leggs Hill Road & Loring Ave. (MA 1A) was defaced to read STOP REAGAN at the time.  Interestingly, the REAGAN part of that sign was sprayed over in red about 2 months later.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

hbelkins

hotdogPi

I mentioned this in my first post, but I didn't have a picture until now.

Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Alps

Quote from: 1 on January 25, 2014, 09:53:52 PM
I mentioned this in my first post, but I didn't have a picture until now.

I've de-vandalized several signs if I happened to have walked or biked to them, thus having the opportunity to peel away what's blocking my photo.

SSOWorld

in Oxnard, CA...

a surfboard or a huge joint? you decide
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

thenetwork

Several months ago, right in front of Colorado Mesa University, someone put a real nice, perfectly measured, Hawaiian shirt "sticker" on a Ped Xing sign.   By the time I got back there to take a photo, it was either removed or the sign was replaced.

doogie1303

Best one I know of was on RI 138 East on a hill coming up to the intersection with US 1. Theres been an orange construction sign there for years warning about a "Soft Shoulder to cry on".  :)

1995hoo

I remember for several years in the 1990s there was a vandalized LGS for Prosperity Avenue here in Fairfax County. The sign indicated a right turn for Prosperity at the next light. Someone affixed a white-on-green bumper sticker with an arrow pointing left next to the word "Clinton" and an arrow pointing right next to the word "Prosperity."

I got a kick out of the way the colors matched the sign quite nicely.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.