News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Highest building number in an address

Started by tidecat, November 16, 2014, 12:04:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tidecat

What's the highest building number you've seen in an address?  I've seen several businesses in Ontario with six-digit building numbers in their addresses.
Clinched: I-264 (KY), I-265 (KY), I-359 (AL), I-459 (AL), I-865 (IN)

sammi

Quote from: tidecat on November 16, 2014, 12:04:19 AM
I've seen several businesses in Ontario with six-digit building numbers in their addresses.

It seems like you're counting digits on both sides of the hyphen, as in e.g. 201-7411 Yonge Street. :)

I've seen 5 digit address numbers, usually in the northern parts of York Region, e.g. 10548 Yonge Street in Richmond Hill, but none that I know of with 6 digits. (Yonge Street ends at around 25000 in West Gwillimbury.)

tdindy88

I would guess the Overseas Highway (US 1) in Key Largo would be among the top candidates. Since addresses are based on mile markers the addresses up along that stretch of highway would be above six digits past the 100-mile marker.

oscar

Highest I've seen would be 99-1849 Aiea Heights Drive, in the Honolulu suburb of Aiea.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

NE2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roads_and_freeways_in_metropolitan_Detroit#Addresses

QuoteFor many years, the Guinness Book of Records incorrectly listed 81951 Main Street (M-19) in Memphis as the highest street address number anywhere, but higher numbers appear in Key Largo, Florida (106501 Overseas Highway,[10] meaning 106.5 miles (171.4 km) from the south end of US 1), Topaz Lake, California (120162 U.S. Highway 395,[11] meaning 120.2 miles (193.4 km) from the Inyo-Mono County line), and Grey County, Ontario (six-digit numbers based on road, section, and distance from edge of section[12]).
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

golden eagle

My uncle's house in Chicago is in the 10100 block of the street he lives on.

JMoses24

11588, which is the address of a vape shop a friend manages on the north side of  Cincinnati.

roadman65

My home address is 12, 630 and there are some that go into the 20 thousand block heading east out of Orlando.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

tidecat

Quote from: sammi on November 16, 2014, 01:08:37 AM
Quote from: tidecat on November 16, 2014, 12:04:19 AM
I've seen several businesses in Ontario with six-digit building numbers in their addresses.

It seems like you're counting digits on both sides of the hyphen, as in e.g. 201-7411 Yonge Street. :)

I've seen 5 digit address numbers, usually in the northern parts of York Region, e.g. 10548 Yonge Street in Richmond Hill, but none that I know of with 6 digits. (Yonge Street ends at around 25000 in West Gwillimbury.)
I actually have seen some that are six digits without the hyphen, on a numbered county road of all things.
Clinched: I-264 (KY), I-265 (KY), I-359 (AL), I-459 (AL), I-865 (IN)

algorerhythms

I don't think five-digit addresses are all that unusual. All the rural addresses in Allegany County, Maryland, for example, have five digits (for example the ones in the neighborhood where I grew up began with 17000).

roadman65

In county street grids they are not as the thousands are usually the long blocks.  Being some counties extend over 20 to 30 miles it is not that hard to go up in numbers.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Brandon

Quote from: golden eagle on November 16, 2014, 02:41:43 AM
My uncle's house in Chicago is in the 10100 block of the street he lives on.

And they go much higher to the south and the west here.  Plainfield uses the Chicago system well out into Kendall County, and unincorporated Will County uses the same.  To the south, there are numbers up to about 37200, and to the west, there are numbers up to about 27100.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

mhh

Most suburban and rural communities in Metro Detroit, as far as 30 miles north of the city, use a extension of Detroit's address-numbering system. Addresses increase in increments of 2000 per mile, so five-digit addresses outside the city are common.

Duke87

In the Northeast you do not see systems which span multiple municipalities. As such, five digits is rare and more is unheard of.

The town in CT I grew up in assigned addresses by assuming 25 foot wide lots, starting from the beginning of the street. So they incremented by 2 every 25 feet and therefore by 422.4 every mile. The highest address number in town is about 3200.

New York City has a mishmosh of numbering schemes from borough to borough but there are lots of four digit numbers. Queens, of course, has lots of five digit numbers thanks to their block scheme, but they are all hyphenated (e.g. 142-01 40th Avenue would be at the corner of 142nd Street). Brooklyn does, however, have a bunch of five digit numbers with no hyphens in Canarsie, and a few at the tippy bottom of Bay Ridge, thanks to them using a similar system in south Brooklyn and the street numbers stretching past 100 in both places.

The highest unhyphenated address in New York City therefore is 12755 Flatlands Avenue... which is the address of a city bus depot.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

dfwmapper

Most of the unincorporated areas of Maricopa County, AZ, have addresses based on the Phoenix grid. The handful of buildings that make up Sentinel, AZ, have addresses around 53000 West/65000 South.

Kacie Jane

Quote from: NE2 on November 16, 2014, 01:32:46 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roads_and_freeways_in_metropolitan_Detroit#Addresses

QuoteFor many years, the Guinness Book of Records incorrectly listed 81951 Main Street (M-19) in Memphis as the highest street address number anywhere, but higher numbers appear in Key Largo, Florida (106501 Overseas Highway,[10] meaning 106.5 miles (171.4 km) from the south end of US 1), Topaz Lake, California (120162 U.S. Highway 395,[11] meaning 120.2 miles (193.4 km) from the Inyo-Mono County line), and Grey County, Ontario (six-digit numbers based on road, section, and distance from edge of section[12]).

US 101 around the Olympic Peninsula uses mileposts as well, leading to much higher numbers than this.  I got bored, and didn't figure out if the building numbers kept increasing all the way to the end, but here's a 303075.

ARMOURERERIC

My house is 38730, 65 miles east of Lindberg Airport in San Diego

Mr Downtown

Things have changed a lot in the last two decades as most rural counties have gone to new "city style" addressing systems that number from a baseline.  The result is many, many house numbers in the high five digits.  In eastern San Bernardino County, California (nation's largest county) I took a picture of 153243 Cahto Rd., Earp, California.  Looking at some maps, I suspect that San Bernardino County must have house numbers even higher than that.  Even stranger, I think SB County addresses are counted from Main and Temple in downtown LA.

Further complicating things are the unusual addressing systems used near Chicago in DuPage and Kane counties, which count number of miles from State and Madison in the Loop and produce results such as 46W330 Burlington Rd.

Some Canadian counties have numbering schemes that produce six-digit house numbers, but the first three digits indicate an area and road number rather than distance from a baseline.

Mr. Matté

Interestingly enough, the last six miles of CR 543 in Burlington County, NJ has its addresses based on the milepost of the overall road. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Columbus+Rd&daddr=40.0745349,-74.663895+to:School+House+Rd&hl=en&ll=40.070705,-74.7025&spn=0.056487,0.111494&sll=40.070321,-74.659781&sspn=0.028243,0.055747&geocode=Ffh9YwIdI2mL-w%3BFSZ9YwIdKbiM-ykrsKGMP0PBiTGjEpDm6orp7Q%3BFeuFYwIdktmM-w&mra=mrv&via=1&t=m&z=14

The first 5-digit address is 229**, only a couple feet from milepost 23. Even though it's not in GSV, I've biked on the northern portion of the route (where it jogs north and crosses Route 68) and the addresses are definitely 28***. I'm interested in knowing if there's any other address based on a milepost (or kilopost).

NE2

Quote from: Mr. Matté on December 14, 2014, 11:38:48 PM
I'm interested in knowing if there's any other address based on a milepost (or kilopost).
Overseas Highway and US 395 in Mono County have two of the highest address numbers (106501 and 120162), based on mileposts (106.5 and 120.2 miles from the zero point).
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

kphoger

Quote from: NE2 on November 16, 2014, 01:32:46 AM

Quote from: Kacie Jane on November 17, 2014, 10:41:07 AM
US 101 around the Olympic Peninsula uses mileposts as well, leading to much higher numbers than this.  I got bored, and didn't figure out if the building numbers kept increasing all the way to the end, but here's a 303075.

I recently found out that there are addresses even higher than that in rural Skiatook and Talala, Oklahoma.

For example, here is 403999 W 3900 Rd.  I wonder if this is the highest possible number in the area:  404000 would be the county line.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

tmoore952

Quote from: Duke87 on November 17, 2014, 02:19:12 AM
In the Northeast you do not see systems which span multiple municipalities. As such, five digits is rare and more is unheard of.

North of DC, the addresses continue to go up until the end of Montgomery County. I believe (but am not 100% positive) that it is based on miles from downtown DC. So on MD 97 (Georgia Avenue) on the Montgomery County side of the Howard-Montgomery county line, there are addresses of 22000+. There are also address of 20000+ on New Hampshire Avenue a couple miles south and east of the Georgia Avenue location I mention.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.