News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Double left turns with permissive phasing

Started by jakeroot, December 14, 2015, 02:01:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you think dual permissive turns should be allowed?

Yes
59 (50.9%)
No
35 (30.2%)
Cat
22 (19%)

Total Members Voted: 116

mrsman

Quote from: jakeroot on August 24, 2023, 06:06:43 PM
Quote from: fwydriver405 on August 24, 2023, 03:26:01 PM
Unsure if this counts, but this double (YoG-pt+pm) left turn in San Francisco is a bit strange - a dedicated left turning lane for bicycles (to turn into the protected bike lane), and a shared left-thru lane for motor vehicles (into the other lanes). Advanced green for NB Scott St, then the permissive phase for both approaches. The SB approach is thru-right for bikes, and right turn only for moter vehicle traffic. Scott and Fell Streets:

GSV: https://www.google.com/maps/@37.7739963,-122.4358715,3a,29.9y,349.72h,84.29t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sjiSDRsUVatHwIWzVwz99cQ!2e0!5s20220301T000000!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu
Overview: https://www.google.com/maps/@37.774189,-122.4359471,75m/data=!3m1!1e3?entry=ttu

I guess if it were up to this black Honda Accord, there wouldn't be any question that it qualifies!

I am actually willing to count this. It's really intriguing, I'm sure most places would have some kind of exclusive phasing for this approach instead of having it run concurrent with vehicular traffic.

It's almost like a purposeful version of a lane-split turn for a motorcyclist. Here in Japan, where like California it is also legal to ride between lanes of traffic, it's not unusual to be waiting to turn across traffic when a motorcyclist (usually scooter) will come up between traffic and wait next to you while you're also waiting to turn. It'll be a single lane turn (right turn in Japan), but it becomes a sort of double permissive turn with the motorcyclist also hanging out there in the middle waiting with you. As far as I can tell, that's basically what might happen in the SF example, although there is at least a designated cycle lane.

A bit of a weird one.  I'd say that the bike left turn doesn't have to turn against car traffic, only against peds and oncoming bikes. If one were to ignore the oncoming bikes, this is like a left from one way to one way as the bikes make their left into the lane most adjacent to the curb on Fell.  So really only the cars have to make a permissive left against traffic (opposing vehicles making the right from Scott to Fell).

A very unique example!

andrepoiy

Big John

I just passed Lombardi Ave at I-41 where WisDOT  is currently changing WB to SB dual left from turn on arrow only to a FYA.

fwydriver405

Found a brand new, double permissive FYA lagging left (with two left turn lanes) in Dorchester (Boston), Massachusetts at the intersection of Morrissey Blvd and Freeport St on the SB Freeport St approach. Not sure if this was a MassDOT or DCR installation, as they recently redid the intersection.

Unlike the other double permissive left on Atlantic Ave and Congress St, on the SB approach, where it's only double permissive left due to left turn on red, this one had a second left turn lane added and the PPLT phase retained via FYA. Unfortunately the NB Freeport St approach is yellow trapped, however I didn't get to get a chance to look at the opposing signals.

EDIT, photo and video of the intersection:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6d62fYJXEA

jakeroot

Quote from: fwydriver405 on November 02, 2023, 06:21:20 PM
Found a brand new, double permissive FYA lagging left (with two left turn lanes) in Dorchester (Boston), Massachusetts at the intersection of Morrissey Blvd and Freeport St on the SB Freeport St approach. Not sure if this was a MassDOT or DCR installation, as they recently redid the intersection.

Unlike the other double permissive left on Atlantic Ave and Congress St, on the SB approach, where it's only double permissive left due to left turn on red, this one had a second left turn lane added and the PPLT phase retained via FYA. Unfortunately the NB Freeport St approach is yellow trapped, however I didn't get to get a chance to look at the opposing signals.

EDIT, photo and video of the intersection:

[clipped]

Thank you for posting! This is one of the more interesting ones I've seen lately.

Some of the GSV imagery seems to suggest that some drivers were already turning left from the through lane. Or possibly this was a permitted movement, and I just can't find any signage to prove it.

The new far-left signal is great. While I'm a proponent of making this standard for all approaches, it's nice they added it here as before, there was no visible signal while waiting.

While this is cool to see, especially with the markings in the intersection showing where drivers to wait when turning, the fact that NB Freeport is still allowed turn left onto Morrissey Blvd is quite odd. I would think detouring those cars via Mill or Everdean would create less of that unusual left turn overlap situation occurring in the video.

As an aside, I assume this is the only double permissive FYA setup in Massachusetts.

jakeroot

Found a new triple permissive turn, though with a twist.

Outside of Fukuoka, Japan, in the city of Chikushino, there is a triple permissive right turn at the Harizuri Intersection. The right two right-turn lanes make a 90-degree turn onto the ramp to National Route 3, whilst the left right-turn lane makes a shallower turn onto a local road (Fukuoka Prefectural Route 112).
As is tradition in Japan, at complex intersections, colors are used to guide traffic through. The lanes turning towards National Route 3 are blue, and the lane to Route 112 is green. Through traffic has red markings.

Apparently this intersection has a fairly high crash rate (intersection "D" on the list).

Here's my render showing how it flows:

Harizuri Intersection, Chikushino by Jacob Root, on Flickr

Revive 755

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.