News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

END signs

Started by Inyomono395, February 08, 2017, 09:42:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoePCool14

I have a few to post from a couple trips made in the past couple weekends.

US-20 Business (Rockford, IL), East

IL-59, North

IL-75, North

IL-76, South

IL-132, West

IL-137, North

IL-173, West

IL-251, North

Lake County A-1, East
I don't normally take photos for the end of county routes, but I thought I would here as I got Lake County's WI/IL shield combo sign as well. Unfortunately, no red arrows on the WI-32 shield.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

JoePCool14

One more that I picked up today.

WI-158, West

Seeing this sign makes me very glad that WisDOT now uses Series C numerals for 3-digit routes.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: JoePCool14 on January 22, 2023, 08:33:17 AM

IL-76, South

Here's my old photo of the southern end marker for IL-76 from 2010.  I like the sturdier setup they have for it now, and your photo, much better!

IL-076ST by Paul Drives, on Flickr

Lake County A-1, East
I don't normally take photos for the end of county routes, but I thought I would here as I got Lake County's WI/IL shield combo sign as well. Unfortunately, no red arrows on the WI-32 shield.

When I set out to clinch IL-173 in February 2021, I started by driving Russell Road east from I-94, to position myself at the east end of the route.  It was a very snowy clinch, giving me very snowy photos of IL-59's northern end marker, and the sign assembly you photographed here.  This 32/137 assembly was almost certainly fabricated and erected by Lake County's DOT.  I thought it was interesting to see a county in Illinois make an attempt at a Wisconsin state highway marker!

IL-137-CLKA1E by Paul Drives, on Flickr

Nice photos! I still need to get to the northern ends of 251 and 75.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Flint1979

I'll have a few before the end of the day.

JoePCool14

Quote from: paulthemapguy on January 24, 2023, 11:02:50 AM

IL-76, South

Here's my old photo of the southern end marker for IL-76 from 2010.  I like the sturdier setup they have for it now, and your photo, much better!

Lake County A-1, East

When I set out to clinch IL-173 in February 2021, I started by driving Russell Road east from I-94, to position myself at the east end of the route.  It was a very snowy clinch, giving me very snowy photos of IL-59's northern end marker, and the sign assembly you photographed here.  This 32/137 assembly was almost certainly fabricated and erected by Lake County's DOT.  I thought it was interesting to see a county in Illinois make an attempt at a Wisconsin state highway marker!

Nice photos! I still need to get to the northern ends of 251 and 75.

Thank you! I've looked through your collection, it's very impressive. I didn't dig too deep though, because I want to avoid spoilers.  :D  I'm not as particular about getting them photographed, but if it works out that I can, I will.

I agree that the newer sign on IL-76 is better. I also prefer the yellow TOLL banner.

I have to give props to Lake County's highway department for taking the time to sign WI-32 (and also WI-31 further west). They've also fabricated signs for a Wisconsin county route somewhere else on the border.

Max Rockatansky

JoePCool14

I finished my clinch* of IL-53 this weekend and was able to grab this photo.

IL-53, South

* Technically I did, but technically I didn't. Anyone who's on the TM forum, a longer explanation is there.

paulthemapguy

^I don't know why IDOT signed the southern end this way.  Since end markers are never required, and there aren't any real standards associated with posting them, DOT's will play fast and loose with them. I always thought it odd that IL-53's southern end marker faces south at travelers driving toward the north.  Just before you reach this end marker, you encounter this sign:

IL-053ST-I-55NG by Paul Drives, on Flickr

The signage makes it seem like the road stemming off to the left (west) is an access road to I-55 not associated with IL-53.  But it is technically part of the route defined as IL-53. When I snapped the IL-53 end marker, I poked west to I-55 and took I-55 back home, just to be sure I got all of 53.  I'm sure that stub you have remaining will be an easy enough detour to accomplish during your next trip south on I-55  :biggrin:
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Flint1979

Western terminus of M-58.

JoePCool14

Quote from: paulthemapguy on February 06, 2023, 01:43:33 PM
^I don't know why IDOT signed the southern end this way.  Since end markers are never required, and there aren't any real standards associated with posting them, DOT's will play fast and loose with them. I always thought it odd that IL-53's southern end marker faces south at travelers driving toward the north.  Just before you reach this end marker, you encounter this sign:

IL-053ST-I-55NG by Paul Drives, on Flickr

The signage makes it seem like the road stemming off to the left (west) is an access road to I-55 not associated with IL-53.  But it is technically part of the route defined as IL-53. When I snapped the IL-53 end marker, I poked west to I-55 and took I-55 back home, just to be sure I got all of 53.  I'm sure that stub you have remaining will be an easy enough detour to accomplish during your next trip south on I-55  :biggrin:

That's what's so frustrating! It's such a short stub section, but my imperfect perfectionism just won't this go. Normally, yeah, you'd connect back to I-55. But I decided to head south towards Dwight via old US-66 after stopping for food at the gas station there. I never actually traversed this segment. I just think given all the signage, that stub isn't really  part of IL-53.

Regarding END signs in general, Illinois tends to post them AT the intersection where the route ends. Whereas WisDOT will post them earlier, typically with a JCT sign for the intersecting route. That's why I think IL-53 really ends here.

thenetwork

I've seen Ohio do it both ways:  before OR at the intersection.

Colorado is a crap shoot.

D-Dey65

The southern terminus of North Carolina Highway 39 ends at US 70 in an overlap with US 301 and NC 96.

But for some reason, the Wikipedia article still claims it turns onto an overlap with US 70 and ends at US 70A.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Carolina_Highway_39

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: D-Dey65 on February 07, 2023, 11:39:34 PM
The southern terminus of North Carolina Highway 39 ends at US 70 in an overlap with US 301 and NC 96.

But for some reason, the Wikipedia article still claims it turns onto an overlap with US 70 and ends at US 70A.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Carolina_Highway_39

The NC Hwys Annex says that the county map shows NC 39 east of its actual endpoint in error, which is probably why the Wikipedia article says it ends at US 70-A. It definitely ends at US 70/US 301/NC 96.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Mapmikey

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on February 08, 2023, 11:24:39 AM

The NC Hwys Annex says that the county map shows NC 39 east of its actual endpoint in error, which is probably why the Wikipedia article says it ends at US 70-A. It definitely ends at US 70/US 301/NC 96.

NC 39 used to end further west for a short time.  Unfortunately, NCDOT route changes website doesn't have it extending or truncating.
This used to be at the west end of US 70A (photo by me 2011)

Supposedly it was going to replace US 70A, but local opposition scuttled this.

There is a NC 39 END shield at the US 70-US 301 intersection
https://goo.gl/maps/VmteEBcWUJVkFrS59

D-Dey65

Quote from: Mapmikey on February 08, 2023, 04:17:47 PM

NC 39 used to end further west for a short time.  Unfortunately, NCDOT route changes website doesn't have it extending or truncating.

Nothing is showing up.

Alex

Quote from: D-Dey65 on February 08, 2023, 09:46:42 PM
Quote from: Mapmikey on February 08, 2023, 04:17:47 PM

Nothing is showing up.

Did not for me either, though I could view it in a new window. Vahighways must block hotlinking. Probably ought to add an exception for the Forum as Mapmikey's signature file image also will not display.

D-Dey65

Quote from: Alex on February 08, 2023, 09:58:41 PM
Did not for me either, though I could view it in a new window. Vahighways must block hotlinking. Probably ought to add an exception for the Forum as Mapmikey's signature file image also will not display.
Yeah, I saw it there afterwards. Now I've got to deal with the issue of eliminating the short-lived hidden overlap with US 70. The mileage is the biggest issue I'm having trouble with as far as correcting the article goes.

Mapmikey

Quote from: Alex on February 08, 2023, 09:58:41 PM

i can see the images on my personal PC and my work iPhone but not on my work laptop.

Don't *think* vahighways blocks hotlinking but would have to defer to Froggie to know for sure.

US 89

Isn't this a known issue where Chrome won't load hotlinked images from websites that don't use HTTPS?

Max Rockatansky

JoePCool14

Picked up a few new ones on my trip yesterday. After years of hearing about it, I finally clinched I-180 in Illinois. It's a surreal experience to see an Interstate so empty. It was especially crazy going through the trumpet interchange with the road to IL-29. I think I was the only car at that time in the entire thing! It was cool and I'm glad I got to see it before it one day, inevitably gets downgraded.

I-180 (IL), South

I-355 (IL), South

IL-351, North

AzNate

Got some new pictures from my recent trip.

AZ 80 Westbound

AZ 83 Southbound

AZ 92 Westbound

Flint1979

North end of M-13 at US-23 in Standish.

Flint1979

The end of US 24 just outside of Clarkston, Michigan.

formulanone

Quote from: Flint1979 on April 09, 2023, 10:30:35 AM
The end of US 24 just outside of Clarkston, Michigan.

Perfect place for some unexpected patina.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.