News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

UK Roads Thread

Started by bing101, March 21, 2019, 09:02:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bing101

bing101

bing101

bing101

bing101

Now Jen on the Move does a tour of M62 in the snow!

Tom958

Random, but I just noticed this: the bridges over the M4 approaching to the Prince of Wales Bridge appear to be encased with... fiberglass panels? or some other nonstructural material. The ones carrying the M4 are simple concrete beams for the short spans and steel plate girders for the longer ones. If they're in fact encased, is there a reason other than aesthetics? Britain is fully capable of building similar-looking structures out of exposed concrete or steel. And what's under the encasements?

bing101

bing101

Tom Scott does a segment on one of the UK's oldest roads.

BrynM65

Quote from: Tom958 on March 29, 2020, 09:55:59 AM
Random, but I just noticed this: the bridges over the M4 approaching to the Prince of Wales Bridge appear to be encased with... fiberglass panels? or some other nonstructural material. The ones carrying the M4 are simple concrete beams for the short spans and steel plate girders for the longer ones. If they're in fact encased, is there a reason other than aesthetics? Britain is fully capable of building similar-looking structures out of exposed concrete or steel. And what's under the encasements?

I've tried to find an answer for you, not had much luck - but it is probably just an aesthetics thing. In the 1990s we had a sudden heel-turn about what motorways should look like and a few experiments were made with the few lengths that opened that decade. Locally to me on the M65 (the final section finished in 1997) all the bridges used steel I beams and concrete - the beams were all painted blue.

The M4 and M48 over the Severn are considered some of the highlights of the entire network, so no surprise some effort was spent on the bridges - normally cost cutting means we go for the most basic design going.
The road giveth, and the road taketh away...

bing101

A14 goes through demolition.

bing101

Here is a Tour on the A500.

bing101

Jen on the Move does a tour on A6196

bing101

Jen On the Move does a tour on M66

Roadsguy

Tom Scott strikes again, this time driving from London to Margate to visualize the difference between a million and a billion:

Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Kniwt

Quote from: Roadsguy on July 13, 2020, 05:15:50 PM
Tom Scott strikes again, this time driving from London to Margate

That photo-enforced 50mph sure seems like a contender for the "Most Terrible Speed Limits" thread.

bing101

Jen on the move does a segment on the A465 in the UK

bing101

Jen on the Move does a tour on Houlton, Rugby

bing101

bing101

Here is a Tour of London area viaducts by Jen on the Move.

bing101

bing101

Here is a tour of the A34.

bing101

Here is a tour of the M26.

bing101

Here is a tour of the M4 bridge.

bing101

Here is a tour of the M57.

bing101

Here is a tour of the Erskine Bridge.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.