Philadelphia

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 03:06:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ekt8750

Quote from: doofy103 on February 16, 2015, 08:11:21 PM
any state-named interstate shields around the Philly area?

Blue Route SB just south of the US 30 interchange there is a nice but somewhat faded 476 one. It's quite large too:

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.030832,-75.363001,3a,22.1y,233.1h,85.82t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sFLHIW50Y5POJRKb71l7OiQ!2e0

PHLBOS

Quote from: ekt8750 on February 17, 2015, 01:06:32 PM

Blue Route SB just south of the US 30 interchange there is a nice but somewhat faded 476 one. It's quite large too:

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.030832,-75.363001,3a,22.1y,233.1h,85.82t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sFLHIW50Y5POJRKb71l7OiQ!2e0
That one dates back to when the route originally opened in late 1991.  There might be one or two other original state-named I-476 shields along the highway still around.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: Alps on February 16, 2015, 11:43:18 PM
Depends on your definition of area, but there are definitely multiple I-95 shields - at least one on I-95 NB in Philly proper and two others NB near the city (headings of my PA I-95 pages).
I-76: WB into King of Prussia and in that mall, and one on a BGS (among others).
I-676: One I know of, on that page - and you'll see an I-95.
Keep prowling around my Philly-area pages (US 1, 13, 30; old US 422; PA 3, 611) and see what turns up!

Are the mall ones still up? Awesome find
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Mergingtraffic

Has there been any talk about upcoming or current signing projects to replace the non-reflective button copy on US-1 in Philly?

[/url]

It seems PA is replacing it in record speed all of a sudden.

ekt8750

Quote from: doofy103 on March 27, 2015, 10:52:03 PM
Has there been any talk about upcoming or current signing projects to replace the non-reflective button copy on US-1 in Philly?

[/url]

They've replaced a lot of the signs on the freeway portion north of Philly recently. I was surprised to see all of those shiny new signs a couple weeks ago.

ixnay

Re that U.S. 1 overhead sign, interesting that button copy "g's" taper slightly towards the tail, but non-bc lower case g's don't.  To me that's one of the beauties of button copy.  :D

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: ekt8750 on March 28, 2015, 04:26:46 PM
Quote from: doofy103 on March 27, 2015, 10:52:03 PM

[/url]

They've replaced a lot of the signs on the freeway portion north of Philly recently. I was surprised to see all of those shiny new signs a couple weeks ago.

The part north of Bensalem? I tried looking at Penn Dot's site and it's hard to navigate.  I checked out the STIP and didn't say much of any signing projects but I could have missed them easily. 

ekt8750

Yup. There's a few really old button copy signs just north of Trevose but a lot of signs from 95 down to that point have been replaced.

BrianP

4-Year Bridge Project to Close Parts of Philadelphia's Vine Street Expressway

This project is replacing the overpasses on the original western section of the VSE. 

jeffandnicole

Quote from: BrianP on April 07, 2015, 03:34:10 PM
4-Year Bridge Project to Close Parts of Philadelphia's Vine Street Expressway

This project is replacing the overpasses on the original western section of the VSE. 

I hate misleading headlines.

More specific: "Some overnight closures of the Vine Street Expressway possible."

BrianP

True.  It'll impact the surface streets more than the highway. 
QuoteThe Family Court, 19th Street, 18th Street and Free Library bridges will be closed and detoured throughout the project while the other bridges will be rebuilt while being used, said PennDOT.
And I bet that quote is misleading too.  I don't see how all of the bridges will be closed at the same time.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: BrianP on April 07, 2015, 03:39:31 PM
True.  It'll impact the surface streets more than the highway. 
QuoteThe Family Court, 19th Street, 18th Street and Free Library bridges will be closed and detoured throughout the project while the other bridges will be rebuilt while being used, said PennDOT.
And I bet that quote is misleading too.  I don't see how all of the bridges will be closed at the same time.

Correct.  They won't be.  It's a 4 year project - they're working on one or two at a time

odditude

there is a patently absurd construction-orange APL up on I-95 SB approaching exit 22. it needs to be seen to be believed.

PHLBOS

Quote from: odditude on May 17, 2015, 10:26:20 PM
there is a patently absurd construction-orange APL up on I-95 SB approaching exit 22. it needs to be seen to be believed.
I'll be likely on that stretch this Memorial Day evening; so I'll see it first hand.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

ekt8750

I saw that monstrosity Saturday night. Barely legible at night. They used some really thin weight of black colored Clearview that got washed out by the reflective sheeting at even close distances. Like odditude said, you have to see it to believe it.

Mergingtraffic

Sad to report, some of the button copy signs on Roosevelt Blvd pertaining PA-63 have all been replaced with clearview and crappy arrows.

Also, some of the wooden BGs signs on PA-63's cross streets have been replaced as well.

ekt8750

Noooooooooooooooooooooo! One of the nice things about driving the Blvd was seeing all of those classic signs. I knew their days were numbered when they replaced all the signs on US 1 north of Trevose.

Mergingtraffic

Anybody know the back story of this?

[/url]

There's a blank space there and when I snapped a pic, there were rivet holes in the sign that read "TO NORTH I-476," so does that indicate to get to I-476 NB was once signed along PA-320?  Was it signed that way and then taken off the sign?  Were the rivet holes in preparation for it to be signed but never was?

When was the interchange that's about 1/2 a mile from here with I-476 and US-1 opened?

ekt8750

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on July 23, 2015, 06:11:14 PM

[/url]

There's a blank space there and when I snapped a pic, there were rivet holes in the sign that read "TO NORTH I-476," so does that indicate to get to I-476 NB was once signed along PA-320?  Was it signed that way and then taken off the sign?  Were the rivet holes in preparation for it to be signed but never was?

When was the interchange that's about 1/2 a mile from here with I-476 and US-1 opened?

That could have been for the Lansdowne Expressway that was never built. There may have been a planned interchange with 320 somewhere in Broomall.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on July 23, 2015, 06:11:14 PM

Originally, there were plans for an I-476/PA 320 interchange near Cadinal O'Hara High School not too far north of US 1/PA 320 and the original interchange scheme for I-476/US 1 did not have a direct ramp from US 1 South to I-476 North like the current mezzanine-stack interchange.  The rationale back then (1970s) was that US 1 South traffic wanting to get on I-476 North can just get on PA 320 North for a short stretch.

When I-476 south of PA 3 was scaled down to a 4-lane expressway rather then the original 6-laner it should have been; several of the interchanges were completely redesigned and the PA 320 interchange was dropped from the plan.  Although I wasn't residing in the Delaware Valley at the time these decisions were made (I moved in the area 25 years ago); I can almost guess that Cardinal O'Hara High School wasn't too pleased about the prospect of having a highway interchange taking up some of its property.  They were probably glad and behind the reasoning for PennDOT to drop that interchange.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

route17fan

I too am saddened of the news that those old classic signs have been taken down.  :-(
John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

02 Park Ave

The westbound I-76 will be closed within Philadelphia over the last weekend in September.  Eastbound it will be closed from the Blue Route to the Walt Whitman Bridge.
C-o-H

jeffandnicole

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on August 06, 2015, 11:02:37 PM
The westbound I-76 will be closed within Philadelphia over the last weekend in September.  Eastbound it will be closed from the Blue Route to the Walt Whitman Bridge.

Traffic will be able to access the bridge from I-95, as well as Front Street and possibly Packer Ave. 

Westbound, traffic on the bridge will primarily be forced to I-95, which allows traffic to access Front Street as well.

Alps

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 07, 2015, 06:16:23 AM
Quote from: 02 Park Ave on August 06, 2015, 11:02:37 PM

Traffic will be able to access the bridge from I-95, as well as Front Street and possibly Packer Ave. 

Westbound, traffic on the bridge will primarily be forced to I-95, which allows traffic to access Front Street as well.

There are a lot of unknowns. We know what will be closed, but we don't know what could be closed if traffic gets bad enough. I don't know if there will be a second round of announcements or if it will just be internally planned to respond to different situations in different ways.

02 Park Ave

The Vine Street Expressway wil also be closed for the last weekend in September.
C-o-H

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.