News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Philadelphia

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 03:06:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

PennDOT - District 6 News: Ramp Restrictions Planned Next Week On I-95 for Sign Construction at Betsy Ross Interchange in Philadelphia

QuoteKing of Prussia, PA — The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) announced today that sign construction will occur next week on Interstate 95 at the Betsy Ross Bridge Interchange in Philadelphia under the $93.6 million I-95 Section BR2 project to reconstruct and improve the ramps between the Betsy Ross Bridge, Aramingo Avenue, and I-95.

Motorists are advised of the following travel restrictions:

Monday, February 13, and Tuesday, February 14, from 9:00 PM to 5:00 AM the following morning, intermittent traffic stoppages and slowdowns are scheduled on the ramp from I-95 north to the Betsy Ross Bridge; and
Monday, February 13, and Tuesday, February 14, from 9:00 PM to 5:00 AM the following morning, intermittent traffic stoppages and slowdowns are scheduled on the ramp from the Betsy Ross Bridge to Aramingo Avenue.
Drivers are advised to allow extra time when traveling through or near the work area. All scheduled activities are weather dependent.

For more information on PennDOT's I-95 Reconstruction Program, visit www.95revive.com.

Motorists can check conditions on more than 40,000 roadway miles, including color-coded winter conditions on 2,900 miles, by visiting www.511PA.com. 511PA, which is free and available 24 hours a day, provides traffic delay warnings, weather forecasts, traffic speed information and access to more than 1,000 traffic cameras.

For a complete list of construction projects impacting state-owned highways in Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery and Philadelphia counties, visit the District 6 Traffic Bulletin.

Information about infrastructure in District 6, including completed work and significant projects, is available at www.penndot.pa.gov/D6Results. Find PennDOT's planned and active construction projects at www.projects.penndot.gov.

Subscribe to PennDOT District 6 news and traffic alerts at www.penndot.pa.gov/District6.

Follow PennDOT on Twitter and like the department on Facebook and Instagram.

74/171FAN

ixnay

The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

odditude

Quote from: ixnay on February 24, 2023, 09:03:35 AM
Speaking of bridges, this one spanning I-676 had this bracket in Oct. 2022.  Did the bracket ever have a sign, or is it still awaiting its first one after 30 years?

did you forget a link or two?

74/171FAN

ixnay

Quote from: odditude on February 27, 2023, 12:37:58 AM
Speaking of bridges, this one spanning I-676 had this bracket in Oct. 2022.  Did the bracket ever have a sign, or is it still awaiting its first one after 30 years?

Yes.  Thank you.  Went back and fixed where I first mentioned the Vine Exp.'s blank bracket, and that link appears in this post too.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.957379,-75.1581982,3a,27.4y,284.63h,90.07t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sQyFr5VbrCqeIUeaXrwZnfw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: ixnay on February 27, 2023, 08:47:54 PM

Yes.  Thank you.  Went back and fixed where I first mentioned the Vine Exp.'s blank bracket, and that link appears in this post too.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.957379,-75.1581982,3a,27.4y,284.63h,90.07t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sQyFr5VbrCqeIUeaXrwZnfw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Just a guess, but originally this area was 2 lanes, with an decel lane starting around here for the Broad Street exit.  Before 2009 (which was the first GSV image here) they converted the shoulder to a 3rd lane from 8th Street to the Broad Street exit.  Maybe it had something to do with that decel lane, which was no longer needed.

Flyer78

Perhaps there was a sign for the PA Convention Center or City Hall (wouldn't explain why it's been missing for a decade+ though)...

I think the lane drop was well complete by 12th street, but memory is a funny thing. I drove that every morning from 2002-2004, and remember it being much better after the onramp was expanded to Broad Street.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Flyer78 on February 28, 2023, 12:05:25 PM
Perhaps there was a sign for the PA Convention Center or City Hall (wouldn't explain why it's been missing for a decade+ though)...

I think the lane drop was well complete by 12th street, but memory is a funny thing. I drove that every morning from 2002-2004, and remember it being much better after the onramp was expanded to Broad Street.

PA Convention Center does sound kinda likely, actually.

Alex

Quote from: ixnay on February 27, 2023, 08:47:54 PM

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 28, 2023, 10:37:45 PM
Quote from: Flyer78 on February 28, 2023, 12:05:25 PM

PA Convention Center does sound kinda likely, actually.

The sign was gone by 2004. So I looked through my converted camcorder footage and found the removed sign in question from December 30, 1994:

Flyer78

Nice find! The visitor center relocated to Independence Mall from JFK (Love Statue) Park, so that makes sense that it removed.

jeffandnicole

74/171FAN

jeffandnicole

Philly plans to cap the Vine Street Expressway to reconnect Chinatown

https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate/chinatown-stitch-vine-expressway-cap-philadelphia-transportation-20230308.html

If it's paywalled, some of the notable paragraphs:

QuoteThey're calling it the Chinatown Stitch, a modest name for a massive construction project that would reconnect the north and south sides of the neighborhood by physically capping the below-ground Vine Street Expressway.

City officials and neighborhood leaders said Wednesday that they're newly hopeful that, finally, it can be done. If all goes as planned – and that's a big if – groundbreaking could come in 2028.

QuoteThe study area would be from Broad Street to Eighth Street.

A cap would reduce noise, create green space, and become a platform for construction of homes and businesses. Officials had no estimate of total cost but said that capping a single city block could be $25 million to $30 million.

Note:  Board Street would be 14th Street if numbered, so they are looking at capping 6 blocks, which would be roughly $150 - $180 million.

QuoteThe planning also will address ground-level Vine Street itself, where traffic is plentiful and fast, so that a cap does not become merely an oasis in the middle of busy east and west streets.

There's also a survey that can be filled out, although it's mostly geared towards the residents in the area:  https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/Stitch

famartin

Saw that on the Philly Tribune page (and only because I did a random Google search to see if anyone was using any of my recent PA road pics from Wikimedia, and as it turned out, they did)
https://www.phillytrib.com/city-wins-1-8m-to-make-plan-for-chinatown/article_efdbb8b2-085e-50f8-b8e7-48bc8aa2b958.html

74/171FAN

roadman65

Was there in addition to the cancelled I-695 and PA 90 freeways a proposal for a Multistate I-895 to cross the Delaware River from NE Philly on I-95 to around Delran, NJ on I-295?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

tckma

Quote from: roadman65 on March 14, 2023, 07:05:26 AM
cancelled PA 90 freeway

When I was moving to Philly, I found my some of my old Hagstrom maps from when I collected them in my youth (starting at age 7).  In my Greater Philadelphia/Camden Atlas, it looks like I  FritzOwled the PA-90 freeway somewhat directly across Philly and out to I-76, funnily, in a path that goes RIGHT OVER MY CURRENT HOUSE, i.e. parallel to the street I live on.  This routing would  require knocking out entire neighborhoods, including all of the row houses on my side of the street in that block.  Oops. :D  I had NO idea I would one day live in Philly.

Back then I understood nothing about RoW taking and eminent domain.  I also remember that I hated seeing stub ends in my Hagstrom atlases without a proposed route coming out of them.  "Well there must have been a REASON they built it like that," and I often drew in my own.

famartin

Quote from: tckma on March 14, 2023, 10:26:51 AM
cancelled PA 90 freeway

When I was moving to Philly, I found my some of my old Hagstrom maps from when I collected them in my youth (starting at age 7).  In my Greater Philadelphia/Camden Atlas, it looks like I  FritzOwled the PA-90 freeway somewhat directly across Philly and out to I-76, funnily, in a path that goes RIGHT OVER MY CURRENT HOUSE, i.e. parallel to the street I live on.  This routing would  require knocking out entire neighborhoods, including all of the row houses on my side of the street in that block.  Oops. :D  I had NO idea I would one day live in Philly.

Back then I understood nothing about RoW taking and eminent domain.  I also remember that I hated seeing stub ends in my Hagstrom atlases without a proposed route coming out of them.  "Well there must have been a REASON they built it like that," and I often drew in my own.

Yeah, being an old fart now makes me think of things like this too. I once again live near where the Somerset Freeway was once going to begin (though now on the outside of I-295 as opposed to being inside the loop) and I gotta admit, I'm reasonably sure this area would be more developed if they'd pushed the road through (and I'm glad that didn't happen). But, back then, it did annoy me to no end that I-95 was cancelled up in this area.

Chris19001

Was there in addition to the cancelled I-695 and PA 90 freeways a proposal for a Multistate I-895 to cross the Delaware River from NE Philly on I-95 to around Delran, NJ on I-295?
Not really Delran, but the replacement for the Burlington Bristol Bridge would have gone off where the PA-413 exit is on I-95.  It was proposed to be I-895 for a bit.
http://www.phillyroads.com/history/expwy-map_1974/

Going across NE Philly would have been the 10 mile loop.
http://www.phillyroads.com/history/expwy-map_1966/

(Note, I am not associated with the linked website.  I just find those maps useful for Philly unbuilt projects)

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Chris19001 on March 14, 2023, 12:00:50 PM
Not really Delran, but the replacement for the Burlington Bristol Bridge would have gone off where the PA-413 exit is on I-95.  It was proposed to be I-895 for a bit.

(Note, I am not associated with the linked website.  I just find those maps useful for Philly unbuilt projects)

I might mistake you for my cousin's husband (they live in Abington as well), but no one here will mistake you for Steve Anderson (creator & webmaster for Boston, NYC, Philly, DC, & Chicago roads) ;-)
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

roadman65

Quote from: Chris19001 on March 14, 2023, 12:00:50 PM

That I-695 loop, I’m not sure of, as it seems was not worthwhile as a proposal  of as near I can tell the loop was way to small. Though, it would have eliminated the need to use both Penrose Ave. and 26th Street to connect both I-95 and I-76. Other than that, what purpose would it of served?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.