News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

How to make your own forum

Started by tolbs17, February 28, 2021, 03:29:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tolbs17

I wanna create my own forum and I need help.

US 89

Scott5114

Most web forums run as a PHP application that uses a MySQL database (or a compatible DBMS like MariaDB). Usually the workflow will be something like ensuring PHP and MySQL are running the required versions, create a MySQL user for the forum to interface with the database, then upload the forum software package to the server, unzip it, set the file permissions as appropriate (assuming you're running a Linux server, which why wouldn't you), then run the software package's installer (which will ask you, among other things, details about how to access the database using the user account you just created for it).

If the thought in your head after reading that is not "Oh, that seems simple enough", I would recommend researching each step individually. It is not a difficult process to go through if you're familiar with the underlying technologies. If you're not, I'd suggest setting up Apache and MySQL on your computer as a test system and spending a weekend or two screwing around learning how they work before spending the money to secure hosting and find out you have no interest in proceeding further.

Additionally: are you sure you want to create your own forum? It is no fun at all to go through the trouble of painstakingly setting up a forum and have nobody show up. This forum was successful because AARoads was already an established website (thereby ensuring that it comes up highly-ranked in search engines) and there was latent demand (MTR sucked and people wanted to move somewhere else, but nobody had stepped forward to provide that space yet). To create a successful forum, you need a clear topic of interest that would bring everyone together (on AARoads, that's roads) and a compelling reason to engage in that forum (such as there being no existing place to discuss the subject topic, or one that currently exists and is flawed).

If you're just curious how forums work and what it is like to be on the admin side, you can do most of that simply by installing a forum on Apache as described above and tinker with it knowing that it is just on a test site on your computer, and not feel bad if nobody wants to actually post on it.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Alps

Quote from: tolbs17 on February 28, 2021, 03:29:55 PM
I will say this - don't try creating another roads forum. Others have tried, but this is too well-established at this point. If it's something roads-related, ask yourself if it's worth requesting another subpage here for a topic that maybe isn't getting enough discussion. If it's not roads-related, that's different.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Alps on February 28, 2021, 09:31:32 PM
I will say this - don't try creating another roads forum. Others have tried, but this is too well-established at this point. If it's something roads-related, ask yourself if it's worth requesting another subpage here for a topic that maybe isn't getting enough discussion. If it's not roads-related, that's different.

Even if it's not a US/Canada forum?
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Alps

Quote from: 1 on February 28, 2021, 09:36:54 PM

Even if it's not a US/Canada forum?
A subpage could be requested if there's sufficient interest.

tolbs17

No, I was thinking of making a forum to put any random stuff there, less moderated.

wanderer2575

Quote from: tolbs17 on February 28, 2021, 10:32:35 PM
No, I was thinking of making a forum to put any random stuff there, less moderated.

Wow, that's original.  I'll bet nobody else has ever thought of doing that.

corco

Scott5114

Facebook/Twitter/Tumblr/Reddit are already doing that. In marketing speak: what is your value proposition? Or in English: what will you offer that they currently don't?

webny99

Sounds like something for a blog or website rather than a forum.

1995hoo

Quote from: webny99 on March 01, 2021, 08:50:43 AM

Sounds like something for a blog or website rather than a forum.

kernals12 already does that, but he uses this forum.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

tolbs17

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 01, 2021, 05:36:11 AM

Facebook/Twitter/Tumblr/Reddit are already doing that. In marketing speak: what is your value proposition? Or in English: what will you offer that they currently don't?
Comedy stuff!!!

kphoger

You're not alone, and we're here to help you.  There's an online support group that does Facbook live meetings every Thursday evening for people in just your situation.  You'd be surprised how many people wanted to create their own forum before finding the help they needed to overcome the urge.

Quote from: corco on February 28, 2021, 11:01:47 PM

FTFY.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

Quote from: tolbs17 on March 01, 2021, 11:58:30 AM
Comedy stuff!!!

I dunno, I see a lot of funny stuff on social media already. I would suggest doing more market research.

tolbs17

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 01, 2021, 02:58:16 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on March 01, 2021, 11:58:30 AM
Comedy stuff!!!

I dunno, I see a lot of funny stuff on social media already. I would suggest doing more market research.
Works too. Especially that I see many of that stuff.

SkyPesos

There's probably at least 100 subreddits dedicated fo funny stuff out there.

Surprisingly not a large roads related sub yet there. There's some for railways and aviation, but not roads.

hbelkins

Quote from: SkyPesos on March 01, 2021, 08:33:52 PM

Surprisingly not a large roads related sub yet there. There's some for railways and aviation, but not roads.

I never got into Reddit. Of course, there's onerous moderation there. Didn't they take down the one dedicated to the 45th president of the United States (which, to my understanding, was created before he ran for president)?

You might want to establish a Google Group to see if it fills the bill. Google Groups can be accessed via email subscription or through the web-based interface.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

hotdogPi

Quote from: hbelkins on March 01, 2021, 08:58:01 PM
I never got into Reddit. Of course, there's onerous moderation there. Didn't they take down the one dedicated to the 45th president of the United States (which, to my understanding, was created before he ran for president)?

When QAnon is being discussed seriously (which even you have denounced here) (misremembered that link; other conspiracy theories were mentioned, but not QAnon), yes, it should be taken down.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

tolbs17

I hate Reddit. Too many trolls and too few rules and mods/admins banning people. City-Data is definitely more strict (which I think can be a little too harsh) than this forum, but you can post pretty much anything you want there as long as it's appropriate. How about blackhatworld?

vdeane

Quote from: 1 on March 01, 2021, 09:00:16 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on March 01, 2021, 08:58:01 PM

When QAnon is being discussed seriously (which even you have denounced here), yes, it should be taken down.
They also discuss Q seriously on the Star Trek subreddit, but that one hasn't been taken down. :sombrero:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ke_AkJC92IA
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

JoePCool14

Quote from: SkyPesos on March 01, 2021, 08:33:52 PM

To be honest, I'm okay with that. Individual forums like AARoads are superior to anything we could ever be on Reddit. There are definitely positives to being on a centralized website: easier to create, easier to find, familiar interface, app integration, one account instead of multiple, etc.

However, I think the control that an individual website provides outweighs all of those. We set our own rules here, we handle users however we want, and we're not beholden to the "almighty gods" that are the Reddit admins. Plus, on a more technical side, I just think the forum format works better, where there are individual boards with subtopics, instead of just one subreddit with all these different flared posts. Other features can also be integrated into an individual website like the main AARoads site. We even have app integration with Tapatalk which is convenient for things like notifications.

I'm not saying a site like Reddit isn't useful. But AARoads being its own website makes it much more enjoyable to use.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

tolbs17

I'm guessing the fonts and quotes would be in italic and the layout would look different compared to the SMF.

And the SMF was chosen in this forum cause it's probably free and the others are more costly I assume.

I have so many questions to ask.

tolbs17

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 28, 2021, 04:45:01 PM
Most web forums run as a PHP application that uses a MySQL database (or a compatible DBMS like MariaDB). Usually the workflow will be something like ensuring PHP and MySQL are running the required versions, create a MySQL user for the forum to interface with the database, then upload the forum software package to the server, unzip it, set the file permissions as appropriate (assuming you're running a Linux server, which why wouldn't you), then run the software package's installer (which will ask you, among other things, details about how to access the database using the user account you just created for it).

If the thought in your head after reading that is not "Oh, that seems simple enough", I would recommend researching each step individually. It is not a difficult process to go through if you're familiar with the underlying technologies. If you're not, I'd suggest setting up Apache and MySQL on your computer as a test system and spending a weekend or two screwing around learning how they work before spending the money to secure hosting and find out you have no interest in proceeding further.

Additionally: are you sure you want to create your own forum? It is no fun at all to go through the trouble of painstakingly setting up a forum and have nobody show up. This forum was successful because AARoads was already an established website (thereby ensuring that it comes up highly-ranked in search engines) and there was latent demand (MTR sucked and people wanted to move somewhere else, but nobody had stepped forward to provide that space yet). To create a successful forum, you need a clear topic of interest that would bring everyone together (on AARoads, that's roads) and a compelling reason to engage in that forum (such as there being no existing place to discuss the subject topic, or one that currently exists and is flawed).

If you're just curious how forums work and what it is like to be on the admin side, you can do most of that simply by installing a forum on Apache as described above and tinker with it knowing that it is just on a test site on your computer, and not feel bad if nobody wants to actually post on it.
Didn't read this cause I was at school, and NO i don't want to make my own forum as I have no money and would probably be pointless. Maybe I should start of making my own website if anything. I'm not a technician

Scott5114

Quote from: JoePCool14 on March 01, 2021, 10:38:29 PM
We set our own rules here, we handle users however we want, and we're not beholden to the "almighty gods" that are the Reddit admins.

Wait, Alex isn't an almighty god? I've never met him in person, so if anyone who has could clear up the issue of his divinity for me, it would be much appreciated.

AARoads administrator Alex, probably. Taken at a roadmeet somewhere is my guess.

Quote from: tolbs17 on March 01, 2021, 10:45:24 PM
NO i don't want to make my own forum as I have no money and would probably be pointless. Maybe I should start of making my own website if anything. I'm not a technician

It would definitely be a good learning experience. Basic HTML is not that hard to write and knowing it can come in handy.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.