News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New islands

Started by Poiponen13, November 23, 2022, 12:46:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaryV

Quote from: Poiponen13 on December 02, 2022, 09:57:50 AM
Quote from: abefroman329 on December 02, 2022, 09:45:49 AM
Quote from: formulanone on November 30, 2022, 05:39:03 PM
Quote from: skluth on November 30, 2022, 05:20:15 PM
A better question: Who is going to live on these islands in the Arctic? Do you plan on forcing them to move to the Arctic by gunpoint? Right now relatively few people live north of 45°N except in Europe because nobody else has the Gulf Stream warming lands nearer the North Pole. Even Vladivostok is closer to the Equator than the North Pole.

It's not a case of building the islands and they will come. Otherwise, these islands wouldn't be the manmade disaster they are.

I'm still puzzled why someone went apolitical on "northwestern Greenland" and decided to re-name their island after Michael Schumacher.
They sure as shit didn't go apolitical when they named an island "Palestine."
A copy of The World would be good off the coast of New York City.
A newspaper floating in the water?

And haven't you heard? There's not going to be an "off the coast of New York City" after all the dams are built and the Long Island Sound is drained so MMM can build all those new Interstates.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Poiponen13

Quote from: GaryV on December 02, 2022, 09:58:53 AM
A better question: Who is going to live on these islands in the Arctic? Do you plan on forcing them to move to the Arctic by gunpoint? Right now relatively few people live north of 45°N except in Europe because nobody else has the Gulf Stream warming lands nearer the North Pole. Even Vladivostok is closer to the Equator than the North Pole.

It's not a case of building the islands and they will come. Otherwise, these islands wouldn't be the manmade disaster they are.

I'm still puzzled why someone went apolitical on "northwestern Greenland" and decided to re-name their island after Michael Schumacher.
No, same colletcion of small islands in a shape of world like in Dubai.

kphoger

Quote from: GaryV on December 02, 2022, 09:58:53 AM

More islands in the harbor.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hotdogPi

I expect North America's population to trend north from 2040 to 2060 due to climate change... from Texas/Florida/desert Arizona to the urban areas of Colorado, Boise, the Pacific Coast north of California (in both countries), Edmonton, Calgary, and lesser amounts to the cities in Montana, various places in the Dakotas, other parts of Idaho, Reno, and the northeastern US and Atlantic Canada. Not the Arctic.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

kphoger

Then again, why do people move to desert Arizona in the first place? ...
Male pronouns, please.

Max Rockatansky

The heat in Phoenix is only a problem 3-4 months out of the year.  Most people just don't bother being outside during the bulk of the summer season.  The remainder of the year essentially is close to as mild outdoor weather as you're going to get away from the coastline. 

skluth

Quote from: kphoger on December 02, 2022, 10:05:39 AM
Then again, why do people move to desert Arizona in the first place?

I live in Palm Springs which is basically the same when it comes to weather and retirement choices. I wouldn't live here if I were young, but the heat is easier to handle than the cold now that I'm retired. People move here because you can be outside all year round. Yes, it's more difficult in the summer but it's normal to see golfers out at 6 AM before the day heat hits in July and August. The weather is mostly tolerable the other ten months though there are hot days in June and September. Phoenix also has a few nearby mountain communities to escape to during the summer, just like PS has the coast and Big Bear. So residents are not as stuck inside during the summer as much as nonresidents might think. And outdoor activities are an option from October to May except for the occasional rain or wind event (saw my first derecho this year after living here for four years).

I'm not someone who likes playing any winter sports, so I don't enjoy what most Northerners consider winter. I've never skied. I'm a terrible skater (can't even skate backwards). I find ice fishing the most mind-numbingly boring activity ever invented. I don't enjoy snowmobiles for the same reason I don't ride motorcycles; the cold wind in my face causes my eyes to tear up and I can't see a thing. And I'm a little old for building snow forts. So I have a choice of being stuck inside from 15 June to 15 Sept or from 15 Nov to 15 March. I'll take being inside in the summer where I don't have to shovel snow, drive on snow and ice, or deal with all the other inconveniences of winter weather.

abefroman329

But it will probably be uninhabitable by 2040-2060 (I understand the runways at PHX are capable of withstanding heat up to 130F, and, for most people, that's not an ideal climate).

kphoger

Quote from: abefroman329 on December 02, 2022, 12:26:33 PM

But it will probably be uninhabitable by 2040-2060 (I understand the runways at PHX are capable of withstanding heat up to 130F, and, for most people, that's not an ideal climate).

I wonder how average summertime temperatures compare between, say, Yuma and Kuwait.
Male pronouns, please.

cockroachking

Quote from: kphoger on December 02, 2022, 12:34:16 PM

I wonder how average summertime temperatures compare between, say, Yuma and Kuwait.
The average July high for Yuma is 106.7 Degrees Fahrenheit, compared to 116.1 in Kuwait City.

skluth

There's about an 80% chance I'll be dead by 2040 so I don't care. That's probably the thought of most of the old people who move to the desert. Most of the younger people are locals who grew up here and their ancestors are mostly Mexican or other Central/South American and are genetically better adapted to the heat than my nearly 100% Northern European (according to 23 and Me) ancestry.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: skluth on December 02, 2022, 01:13:25 PM

There's about an 80% chance I'll be dead by 2040 so I don't care. That's probably the thought of most of the old people who move to the desert. Most of the younger people are locals who grew up here and their ancestors are mostly Mexican or other Central/South American and are genetically better adapted to the heat than my nearly 100% Northern European (according to 23 and Me) ancestry.

My wife (of Mexican descent) clearly is far better adapted to 100-110F weather than I am.  She is totally unbothered when it's hot like that outside and apparently grew up in Firebaugh without air conditioning.  The reverse seems to be true when it comes to tolerating the cold weather, I'm far more acclimated (my family was German).

abefroman329

Quote from: skluth on December 02, 2022, 01:13:25 PMThere's about an 80% chance I'll be dead by 2040 so I don't care. That's probably the thought of most of the old people who move to the desert.
That's probably the thought of anyone who insists that climate change is a Chinese hoax.

abefroman329

This is one of those instances where it's impossible to tell if you're expressing a belief or playing devil's advocate, so...why do you think Yuma and Kuwait City are comparable?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: abefroman329 on December 02, 2022, 01:29:22 PM
Quote from: skluth on December 02, 2022, 01:13:25 PMThere's about an 80% chance I'll be dead by 2040 so I don't care. That's probably the thought of most of the old people who move to the desert.
That's probably the thought of anyone who insists that climate change is a Chinese hoax.

I don't think it's a hoax but I also don't care what the temperature will be during future time periods where I'll be dead. 

kphoger

Quote from: abefroman329 on December 02, 2022, 01:30:22 PM

This is one of those instances where it's impossible to tell if you're expressing a belief or playing devil's advocate, so...why do you think Yuma and Kuwait City are comparable?

I've always wondered how people can stand living somewhere as hot as Kuwait.  And now we're wondering how people will stand living somewhere as hot as desert Arizona.  So I was curious to know how they actually stack up against each other.

What specifically prompted me to ask was the comment about PHX runways withstanding temps up to 130°F.  I immediately recalled that temps over 50°C are fairly common in Kuwait.  For reference, 130°F is about 54½°C.  Mitrabah, Kuwait, hit 54°C (129.2°F) back in 2016.

It had nothing to with either (a) an expression of a belief or (b) playing devil's advocate.
Male pronouns, please.

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on December 02, 2022, 01:37:56 PMI've always wondered how people can stand living somewhere as hot as Kuwait.  And now we're wondering how people will stand living somewhere as hot as desert Arizona.  So I was curious to know how they actually stack up against each other.
Given what little I know about both location, I'm guessing the percentage of people living in Kuwait who would live anywhere else if they could is higher than the percentage of people living in Arizona who would live anywhere else if they could (in other words, more people choose to live in Arizona than Kuwait).

abefroman329

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 02, 2022, 01:30:53 PM

I don't think it's a hoax but I also don't care what the temperature will be during future time periods where I'll be dead.
No one would be as surprised as me if I'm still alive in 2060, but I'm not content to just punt and let future generations deal with it.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: abefroman329 on December 02, 2022, 01:52:28 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 02, 2022, 01:30:53 PM

No one would be as surprised as me if I'm still alive in 2060, but I'm not content to just punt and let future generations deal with it.

I don't think that I lived what would be considered a "problematic"  life in terms of staging something bad for the future (including environmental).  That being the case, I don't see a need to put a burden on myself for things that other people might be doing now that I can't stop or future events I cannot possibly control.  I don't know, it just feels like unnecessary focus that I could be putting back into things I can control. 

Roadgeekteen

Honestly, in terms of climate change, individual people make very little impact unless you own 5 private jets or something. Blame falls mostly on the big corporations and our friends down in DC.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 02, 2022, 02:06:22 PM
Honestly, in terms of climate change, individual people make very little impact unless you own 5 private jets or something. Blame falls mostly on the big corporations and our friends down in DC.

Right, how am as an individual supposed to control larger elements at play like that?  If I can't control things of the like I see no reason to burden myself potentially to misery worrying over it.

kphoger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 02, 2022, 02:09:17 PM
Right, how am as an individual supposed to control larger elements at play like that?

Obviously, you should move to an Arctic island.  That way you'll have most of your daily essentials shipped long-distance via air or sea, do without the possibility of solar energy for part of the year, and ensure your immediate impact is in a climate of low biodiversity.
Male pronouns, please.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on December 02, 2022, 02:22:25 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 02, 2022, 02:09:17 PM
Right, how am as an individual supposed to control larger elements at play like that?

Obviously, you should move to an Arctic island.  That way you'll have most of your daily essentials shipped long-distance via air or sea, do without the possibility of solar energy for part of the year, and ensure your immediate impact is in a climate of low biodiversity.

I feel like a fool for not seeing the obvious answer sitting right in front of me all these years.

Scott5114

Obviously there's some differences between Arizona and Nevada, but (as you know) I am considering moving to the desert–Las Vegas. For me the reasons are because of job opportunities and cultural/recreation activities. One thing that I really enjoyed on my first visit is the vast array of food options available in Las Vegas, for instance, many of which are not available where I live now. And consuming some of the local media there solidifies my belief I would be much more culturally in tune with the city than I am with where I live now.

Obviously I wouldn't move to the Arctic unless there were already an established city there similar to Las Vegas. Canadian Las Vegas is a fun thought experiment, but it's sadly fictional. (There would also the problem of dealing with Canadian immigration, of course, which I probably wouldn't qualify for no matter how much I might like Arctic Las Vegas.)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.