News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New islands

Started by Poiponen13, November 23, 2022, 12:46:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poiponen13

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 02, 2022, 03:37:13 PM
Quote from: kphoger on December 02, 2022, 10:05:39 AM
Then again, why do people move to desert Arizona in the first place? ...

Obviously there's some differences between Arizona and Nevada, but (as you know) I am considering moving to the desert–Las Vegas. For me the reasons are because of job opportunities and cultural/recreation activities. One thing that I really enjoyed on my first visit is the vast array of food options available in Las Vegas, for instance, many of which are not available where I live now. And consuming some of the local media there solidifies my belief I would be much more culturally in tune with the city than I am with where I live now.

Obviously I wouldn't move to the Arctic unless there were already an established city there similar to Las Vegas. Canadian Las Vegas is a fun thought experiment, but it's sadly fictional. (There would also the problem of dealing with Canadian immigration, of course, which I probably wouldn't qualify for no matter how much I might like Arctic Las Vegas.)
Arizona Lake - a new endorheic lake northwest of Phoenix - would be constructed.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Poiponen13 on December 03, 2022, 03:58:01 PM

Obviously there's some differences between Arizona and Nevada, but (as you know) I am considering moving to the desert–Las Vegas. For me the reasons are because of job opportunities and cultural/recreation activities. One thing that I really enjoyed on my first visit is the vast array of food options available in Las Vegas, for instance, many of which are not available where I live now. And consuming some of the local media there solidifies my belief I would be much more culturally in tune with the city than I am with where I live now.

Obviously I wouldn't move to the Arctic unless there were already an established city there similar to Las Vegas. Canadian Las Vegas is a fun thought experiment, but it's sadly fictional. (There would also the problem of dealing with Canadian immigration, of course, which I probably wouldn't qualify for no matter how much I might like Arctic Las Vegas.)
Arizona Lake - a new endorheic lake northwest of Phoenix - would be constructed.

Never heard of Lake Pleasant I take it?  :rolleyes:

skluth

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 03, 2022, 04:00:01 PM

Lake Pleasant has an outlet so not endorheic. But what Arizona Lake has to do with the previous comments went completely over my head. My guess is it's another Poiponen13 non sequitur.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: skluth on December 04, 2022, 04:07:20 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 03, 2022, 04:00:01 PM

Lake Pleasant has an outlet so not endorheic. But what Arizona Lake has to do with the previous comments went completely over my head. My guess is it's another Poiponen13 non sequitur.

While that's true, it might as well be endorheic with the current state of the Gila River downstream.  Maybe he was going for a new reservoir island somehow?

Poiponen13

Wiw Island - off the coast of Fort Bragg, CA

Would have a village, and some numbered roads.

Scott5114

Sgrpf Island - off the coast of Gage, OK

Would have a Love's and a Sonic
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

CNGL-Leudimin

That island would be a must stop for a certain trucker I follow :sombrero:.

When I first saw this thread, the first island I thought of was Nishinoshima, where a new island was formed by an eruption in 2013 and quickly merged with a nearby pre-existing island. I still know it as "New Island" to this day.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 08, 2022, 03:16:47 AM

The Love's would have a Subway inside, and the Sonic would be next door.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on December 08, 2022, 03:03:02 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on December 08, 2022, 03:16:47 AM

The Love's would have a Subway inside, and the Sonic would be next door.

And there'd be a Dollar General across the street, of course.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Poiponen13

I would buy a Finland-owned island to antipode of Helsinki (60.10S 155.4W).

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Poiponen13 on December 20, 2022, 02:21:43 PM

Sitting on a cool 29k USD?

Poiponen13

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 20, 2022, 02:22:32 PM

Typo. I meant "build".

kphoger

Quote from: Poiponen13 on December 20, 2022, 02:25:15 PM

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 20, 2022, 02:22:32 PM

Typo. I meant "build".

Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

triplemultiplex

29k to build an island at those coordinates?  What a bargain! 
Probably couldn't even ship one piece equipment there for 29,000 bucks, much less construct an island on the abyssal plain.

It's sort of close to the mid-ocean ridge down there, so maybe you can luck out and have some offshoot whip up a big hot spot volcano over the next 3 million years to build your island for you. Of course by then, it won't be the antipode to Helsinki anymore. ;)
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Poiponen13

Quote from: triplemultiplex on December 21, 2022, 09:35:34 AM
Probably couldn't even ship one piece equipment there for 29,000 bucks, much less construct an island on the abyssal plain.

It's sort of close to the mid-ocean ridge down there, so maybe you can luck out and have some offshoot whip up a big hot spot volcano over the next 3 million years to build your island for you. Of course by then, it won't be the antipode to Helsinki anymore. ;)
Maybe man-made island. And it would still be antipode to Helsinki. And what about kphoger Island to 60.00S, 60.00W?

jlam

Build a moat around Island City, OR (the island will be called Is Land Island)

triplemultiplex

Quote from: Poiponen13 on December 21, 2022, 12:25:47 PM

Maybe man-made island. And it would still be antipode to Helsinki. And what about kphoger Island to 60.00S, 60.00W?

I kind of feel like you're not aware that most of the ocean is at least 2 miles deep.

When the Chinese build all these dumb islands in the South China Sea, the water is only a few meters deep at those locations.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

skluth

Quote from: triplemultiplex on December 22, 2022, 10:35:31 AM

I kind of feel like you're not aware that most of the ocean is at least 2 miles deep.

When the Chinese build all these dumb islands in the South China Sea, the water is only a few meters deep at those locations.

I'm rather appalled by Poiponen13's geographic ignorance. I thought American geographic ignorance was bad, but that's a general population thing and I rarely see it here. I now wonder if Finland is as bad about teaching geography as the US is. Abyssal Plains make up over 50% of the ocean bottom and are 4000-6000 meters deep.

The Chinese built most of their SCS bases on reefs which broke the sea surface, even if by only a meter. Essentially they're concreting over every reef and bank under the SCS to justify their claim to the Nine Dash Line boundary. The SCS is pretty shallow though as it was mostly land during the last ice age.

kirbykart

This island is halfway between Argentina and Antarctica. Why here? And why named kphoger Island?

skluth

Quote from: kirbykart on December 22, 2022, 11:48:50 AM

This island is halfway between Argentina and Antarctica. Why here? And why named kphoger Island?

It should be named R'lyeh Island

Poiponen13

Quote from: kirbykart on December 22, 2022, 11:48:50 AM

1) Beacuse the 60th parallel south does not cross any land
2) Beacuse kphoger is my favorite user

Max Rockatansky

Poipenen13, might you have room in your plans the following islands?

-  Carhorn Island
-  Wallethub Island
-  Flat Island

Poiponen13

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 23, 2022, 11:24:16 AM

-  Carhorn Island
-  Wallethub Island
-  Flat Island
What does that mean?

GaryV

Quote from: Poiponen13 on December 23, 2022, 11:27:41 AM

-  Carhorn Island
-  Wallethub Island
-  Flat Island
What does that mean?
It means you need to read more forum posts.

kphoger

Quote from: Poiponen13 on December 23, 2022, 11:17:23 AM
2) Beacuse kphoger is my favorite user

... said no one, ever.

Quote from: Poiponen13 on December 23, 2022, 11:27:41 AM

-  Carhorn Island
-  Wallethub Island
-  Flat Island

What does that mean?

The body of water in which these new islands will be found should be easy to create.  Simply dam the Mackinaw River, and all the nearby canyons and gorges will soon fill in with water–perfect for boating, water skiing, wakeboarding, sunset boat cruises, bass fishing, and scuba diving.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.