News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

CA 39 Reopening Project Scoping Meeting

Started by Max Rockatansky, December 07, 2022, 09:43:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Seems Caltrans is having a virtual public meeting regarding the prospect of reopening CA 39 at Islip Saddle.  The meeting is virtual and will be held at 6:30 PM on December 15.  The meeting registration link is below.  If I can find the time I plan to attend myself:

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_jnrKgQ0aTUy1Kf2tE6BSmA?fbclid=IwAR3TeQgt0uiukxwsXD7kv__NCXdRjL5RBGZNp5fRQ-_BAD7OWMOUPxzmOUo&mibextid=Zxz2cZ

ClassicHasClass

Occidental Tourist

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 07, 2022, 09:43:09 AM
Seems Caltrans is having a virtual public meeting regarding the prospect of reopening CA 39 at Islip Saddle.  The meeting is virtual and will be held at 6:30 PM on December 15.  The meeting registration link is below.  If I can find the time I plan to attend myself:

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_jnrKgQ0aTUy1Kf2tE6BSmA?fbclid=IwAR3TeQgt0uiukxwsXD7kv__NCXdRjL5RBGZNp5fRQ-_BAD7OWMOUPxzmOUo&mibextid=Zxz2cZ

God forbid the state should try to reopen highways.

Max Rockatansky

Bumping this up given virtual public meeting is tomorrow night.

Plutonic Panda

Hopefully it happens. It seems like this is a good level of support for it.

Max Rockatansky

D7 posted the presentation on YouTube:

SeriesE

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 03, 2023, 01:33:34 PM
D7 posted the presentation on YouTube:

Alternative 5 - full viaduct is my favorite, though it looks like it will cost the most.

However, given the current California political climate (filled with politicians that dislike building roads), it's very likely they will choose Alternative 1, no build alternative.

Max Rockatansky

I wonder about that.  The fires of recent years have strengthened local support towards reopening 39 as an evacuation route.  Similarly a lot of local state highway issues around me didn't get fixed in D6 until locals raised a fit after the winter of 2016-17.  Maybe things don't stay the same forever in this state, especially if there is a strong enough push?

pderocco

I like the Full Public Opening option. The Viaduct idea makes me nervous.

I'd like to see them not only open 39 to 2, but to continue it north down to Big Rock Creek Rd in Valyermo. That would make it much more useful. And that looks easier than the current project under consideration, since the slopes are much gentler.

It's too bad there are so many misanthropic zealots with power. The idea that a road project shouldn't be built if even a single member of a protected species would face an increased risk of being hit by a vehicle is unreasonable. No one would argue that a road shouldn't be built because some human would be exposed to such a risk. There's nothing wrong with taking reasonable steps to protect wildlife, but a project like this isn't going to drive bighorn sheep into extinction.

Quillz

Wasn't CA-39 opened briefly in 2003 to allow fire trucks to reach a fire in the area? I seem to recall hearing something about that, and there was no issue at the time. Hard to believe the connection hasn't been open since 1978. But this is still one of those "I'll believe it when it happens" moments.

Max Rockatansky

Received an email about another public hearing on 4/16.  The link to register for the Zoom call can be found below:

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_m80OEuIlRTqkfQwhSPqImw#/registration

Voyager

Is it even worth opening at this point?
Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

Max Rockatansky

One of the primary arguments is that it would provide fire egress from Wrightwood.  I'd settle for the argument that it would provide better means to access recreational areas.

cl94

Especially with all of the problems 2 has had in recent years, this would add a ton of redundancy to the network and potentially help California meet VMT goals. So there are real operational reasons to reopen it.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Max Rockatansky

My understanding is that 39 used to function like Angeles Forest Highway does as a handy alternate through San Gabriel Mountains.  I'm understand that a lot of people north of the mountains would use it bypass Cajon Pass and San Bernardino.

If this all comes to pass maybe it is time to start salting the Big Bear groups with suggestions about dirt 173.  Wouldn't be the first time I've heard suggestion that Lake Arrowhead needs better evacuation access.

Quillz

Quote from: Voyager on April 04, 2024, 06:15:46 PMIs it even worth opening at this point?
Yes. Cuts down the drive to and from Wrightwood considerably if you're coming from the south. 

Quillz

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 04, 2024, 07:01:21 PMMy understanding is that 39 used to function like Angeles Forest Highway does as a handy alternate through San Gabriel Mountains.  I'm understand that a lot of people north of the mountains would use it bypass Cajon Pass and San Bernardino.

If this all comes to pass maybe it is time to start salting the Big Bear groups with suggestions about dirt 173.  Wouldn't be the first time I've heard suggestion that Lake Arrowhead needs better evacuation access.
I don't get why they closed it. Plenty of drivable dirt roads. I did it, didn't seem that dangerous. 

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Quillz on April 04, 2024, 09:25:57 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 04, 2024, 07:01:21 PMMy understanding is that 39 used to function like Angeles Forest Highway does as a handy alternate through San Gabriel Mountains.  I'm understand that a lot of people north of the mountains would use it bypass Cajon Pass and San Bernardino.

I don't get why they closed it. Plenty of drivable dirt roads. I did it, didn't seem that dangerous.

I drive far worse regularly.  If the dirt was an issue a single lane of surfacing would have fixed that. 

Quillz

LilianaUwU

CA 39 hasn't been open in my lifetime and I doubt it's gonna reopen in my lifetime, to be honest.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

cl94

Quote from: LilianaUwU on April 04, 2024, 10:51:34 PMCA 39 hasn't been open in my lifetime and I doubt it's gonna reopen in my lifetime, to be honest.

Funding, funding, funding. If they can get the funding, it will happen. But that is not a guarantee.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

heynow415

Quote from: cl94 on April 04, 2024, 06:55:48 PMEspecially with all of the problems 2 has had in recent years, this would add a ton of redundancy to the network and potentially help California meet VMT goals. So there are real operational reasons to reopen it.
Quote from: Quillz on April 04, 2024, 09:25:57 PM

Since both of these roads are south of the line generally running from Gaviota Pass to the Grapevine to Cajon Pass, it is proper to place a "the" before the route number being cited.  Thank you for your cooperation!   :)  :)  :)  (Happy Friday!)

Max Rockatansky

Here's the thing, I'm not a native Californian.  Phrasing "the" before stuff just wasn't part of the lexicon growing up in the Midwest (yes, even Ohio State).  Even this far north (Fresno) using "the" before things like highway numbers isn't super common.  Truly the phenomenon is mainly rooted in Southern California dialect.

ClassicHasClass

Max Rockatansky

Interesting to note recently when I was at the Caltrans library I had to explain the terms I was using in conversation.  I kept referring to "Route 203" as "California State Route 203" out of habit.  When I was growing up in Michigan the common highway-speak was to be specific about US Routes, Interstates and Trunklines.  Admittedly stuff like "M-10" rolls off the tongue way easier than "CA 203" or "California State Route 203."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.