News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Ash Ketchum's journey have now ended.

Started by Stephane Dumas, December 18, 2022, 03:49:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephane Dumas

After all these years, Ash Ketchum in Pokemon finally won the big championship!
https://nintendolink.com/2022/12/17/ash-ketchums-journey-finally-over/
https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2022/12/ash-ketchums-original-va-thanks-pokemon-for-incredible-25-year-journey

QuoteThe Pokémon Company has announced Ash Ketchum will be hanging up his trainer cap after 25 years early next year. The news has surprised a lot of people around the world including the current voice of Ash, and now it seems the original voice of the character in the long-running anime series has also chimed in.

Taking to social media, Veronica Taylor couldn't believe it herself, mentioning how it's been an incredible journey for the character over the past 25 years. Here's exactly what she had to say across a series of tweets:
https://twitter.com/TheVeronicaT/status/1603933559852371968

Max Rockatansky

Wasn't he cried back to life in one of the Pokémon movies?

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 18, 2022, 03:56:06 PM

Yes, in the first movie Pokemon the movie also known as "Mewtwo Strikes Back".  https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/M01

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on December 18, 2022, 06:59:48 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 18, 2022, 03:56:06 PM

Yes, in the first movie Pokemon the movie also known as "Mewtwo Strikes Back".  https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/M01

I recall one of my employees showing me a video of the incident a couple years back.  My understanding of Ash Ketchum (and by extension Pokemon) was that his end goal was to enslave a bunch of animals so could compete for his glory in combat.  Ash Ketchen's mastery must have been edging on divinity so his the tears of his minions resurrected him. 

FWIW I'm barely old enough to have missed the Pokémon craze on the original Gameboy.  I recall watching some of the Pokémon shows as an adult after catching a bunch of kids shoplifting the trading cards.  I feel as though I'm missing a ton of context but the whole series seemed bizarre in every way.  This Ash Ketchum character apparently had no adult supervision whatsoever and was allowed to run amok.  There was a whole thing with a pair of siblings (possibly involved in incest) and a talking cat-thing always trying to steal shit from Ash, his girlfriend and some blind guy.

Scott5114

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 18, 2022, 07:15:43 PM
My understanding of Ash Ketchum (and by extension Pokemon) was that his end goal was to enslave a bunch of animals so could compete for his glory in combat.  Ash Ketchen's mastery must have been edging on divinity so his the tears of his minions resurrected him. 

FWIW I'm barely old enough to have missed the Pokémon craze on the original Gameboy.  I recall watching some of the Pokémon shows as an adult after catching a bunch of kids shoplifting the trading cards.  I feel as though I'm missing a ton of context but the whole series seemed bizarre in every way.  This Ash Ketchum character apparently had no adult supervision whatsoever and was allowed to run amok.  There was a whole thing with a pair of siblings (possibly involved in incest) and a talking cat-thing always trying to steal shit from Ash, his girlfriend and some blind guy.

Pretty much nothing about that is accurate.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Roadgeek Adam

I can say I expected this. The Ash Ketchum timeline was the same as the "Gilligan's Island" timeline effect. The longer they kept making him lose tournaments, the longer they could prolong the series with the characters. In Gilligan's Island, of course they were never going to be rescued as that would mean the series is over. Now that Ash is the "monarch" of sorts from that tournament, there's no reason to keep the character going. The producers of Yu-Gi-Oh understood that with GX, moving on to new characters in the next series.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

74/171FAN

This TV Tropes page will always be hilarious in regard to Ash always being 10.  (https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NotAllowedToGrowUp)
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on December 18, 2022, 07:56:31 PM
I can say I expected this. The Ash Ketchum timeline was the same as the "Gilligan's Island" timeline effect. The longer they kept making him lose tournaments, the longer they could prolong the series with the characters. In Gilligan's Island, of course they were never going to be rescued as that would mean the series is over. Now that Ash is the "monarch" of sorts from that tournament, there's no reason to keep the character going. The producers of Yu-Gi-Oh understood that with GX, moving on to new characters in the next series.

Now that show was an acid trip.  Kids used to steal the Yugioh cards back two decades ago also.  I couldn't figure what the hell was going on in the show with the main character going to from a kid to an adult with a really dramatic voice constantly.  I guess that it had something to do with magic cards?

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 18, 2022, 07:54:19 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 18, 2022, 07:15:43 PM
My understanding of Ash Ketchum (and by extension Pokemon) was that his end goal was to enslave a bunch of animals so could compete for his glory in combat.  Ash Ketchen's mastery must have been edging on divinity so his the tears of his minions resurrected him. 

Pretty much nothing about that is accurate.

I suspected it might be.  Sometimes I feel as though the late 1990s and early 2000s were something I completely missed culturally somehow.  I do recall most of these characters showing up to fight Perfect Cell in Dragon Ball Z Abridged.

Regarding Pokemon games, I do recalling trying one of them on the Game Boy in high school.  They kind of struck as being level grinding centric.  Given Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior/Quest (the latter especially on emulation) were both in their primes I didn't see much to gather my attention.

Scott5114

I suppose if I am going to try to correct Max's understanding of it rather than just being snarky, I would summarize it thusly: Pokémon is based on a video game series, which exists because the guy who made it used to collect bugs as a kid, so he wanted to make a video game based on that experience.

However, "catch bugs" is a kind of thin premise for a game, so the concept expanded into a general turn-based roleplaying game, where instead of merely catching the animal you had to defeat it in battle to do so. To add some amount of strategy to it there are different elements and a complicated paper-scissors-rock of weakness/strength against each other (some of these are obvious–water is strong to fire–but good luck remembering if "fighting" is strong to "fairy" or what beats "dragon" without having the chart printed out).

There is a setting consisting of a number of named cities and countries with numbered routes connecting them. This whole thing is pretty fascinating to roadgeeks of a certain age. I would be surprised if any of the city names has not appeared in a Fictional Highways thread at least once. To beat the game you have to win battles in each of the major cities.

The TV show is basically an expanded dramatization of some kid inserted into the role of the game's player character, depicting him following the same journey as someone would playing the game. Although it gets kind of ridiculous since the games aren't intended as continuations of each other, it's supposed to be a different person each time. So you have this ten-year-old kid becoming the national champion of every country in the world one after the other, which is sort of stupid. The "pair of siblings" you mention I don't think are actually related, they're coworkers, working for what's supposed to be a mafia/yakuza type of organization (that was a major antagonist in the first couple of games), except they suck at their jobs and mostly serve as comic relief.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

74/171FAN

So what happens with Jesse and James now that Ash has retired?
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: 74/171FAN on December 19, 2022, 07:21:27 AM
So what happens with Jesse and James now that Ash has retired?

I guess they live happily after ever. ;) 

Btw, there's some funny clips who talked of Ash's ending journey like this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIvc57saoSc

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.