Shades of Yellow Paint

Started by Bitmapped, December 19, 2022, 11:49:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bitmapped

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette has an interview at https://www.post-gazette.com/business/tech-news/2022/12/19/ppg-yellow-paint-ed-baiden-roads-thermoplastic-markings/stories/202212180055 with the manager of PPG Industries' traffic paint business. He mentioned that each state has its own formula for shades of yellow paint.

This made me wonder why the exact paint color hasn't been standardized? This would seem like an obvious cost-cutting move.

SectorZ

Curious how much PPG spends in lobbying annually to get the stripe standard in each state pushed from 4 inches to 6 inches.

Mr. Matté

Quote from: SectorZ on December 19, 2022, 12:53:30 PM
Curious how much PPG spends in lobbying annually to get the stripe standard in each state pushed from 4 inches to 6 inches.

It took me a few seconds to realize that this is referring to the company PPG, not the newspaper in which the article is found, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

kalvado

Fifty states, fifty shades of yellow....

Dirt Roads

In West Virginia, it is affectionately known as "State Road Yellow" (with that last word usually pronounced "yahl-ler").  Amazingly, if you search for that term you do find this (which does not mention West Virginia, by the way).

Take me home, Country Roads.   :wave:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.