How come we never see the Blippo font anymore?

Started by bandit957, December 20, 2022, 06:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

Blippo is one of my favorite fonts. It used to be all over everything. It was on toys, advertising signs, TV shows, you name it! Now you almost never see it.

Another font I like is Peignot. But we never see it anymore either. Why?

At least we still see Century Gothic sometimes, as it seemed to have a bit of a revival in the last decade. This font is simpler but elegant.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Road Hog

bandit957

Road Hog

Quote from: bandit957 on December 20, 2022, 06:29:13 PM
This is Blippo...

Maybe trademark infringement on Slinky is a good reason why. Just asking a question.

Scott5114

Fonts that get heavily used during a certain time period tend to get associated with that time period. Because Blippo (and the other Bauhaus fonts in the same family) was so heavily used in the 1970s, it has a 1970s "feel" to it, so people generally will shy away from it unless they want to evoke the 1970s.

Other fonts that have had this happen to them are Hobo (1970s), Optima (1980s), and Gotham (2010s). Arguably Futura went through this in the 1950s, but it's such a good general-purpose font that it still pops up fairly regularly, though not to the extent it did in the 50s.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

bandit957

When I'm in a really modern mood, Kabel Black is a font I like.

Henry

And then there's the Old English font which has been around for centuries and sees extensive use in newspaper titles, like the Chicago Tribune. It's rarely used in product advertising, but it's still there.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Scott5114

Quote from: bandit957 on December 20, 2022, 08:20:25 PM
When I'm in a really modern mood, Kabel Black is a font I like.

That's kind of funny, considering Kabel came out in 1927.

amroad17

Quote from: bandit957 on December 20, 2022, 06:29:13 PM
This is Blippo...

That reminds me of the Kentucky Colonels uniform and logo font in the old ABA.  https://mearsonlineauctions.com/ItemImages/000061/61221a_lg.jpeg

Not an exact match, but close.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

bandit957

Optima font reminds me of the McCain/Palin signs from 2008.

Scott5114

Quote from: bandit957 on December 20, 2022, 11:40:48 PM

Obama's signs from the same campaign were pretty much single-handedly responsible for absolutely everything being set in Gotham from 2008 to about 2015 or so.

bandit957

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 21, 2022, 12:04:09 AM
Quote from: bandit957 on December 20, 2022, 11:40:48 PM

Obama's signs from the same campaign were pretty much single-handedly responsible for absolutely everything being set in Gotham from 2008 to about 2015 or so.

The 2010s were also a great time for Century Gothic (Futura) and some of the Lucida fonts.

Scott5114

I'd say Century Gothic is probably closer to Avant Garde than Futura. Actually, it's like Avant Garde and Futura had a baby.

Futura headings and Elektra body text is like peanut butter and jelly. It's a very 1950s font combination but boy do those two pair well together.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.