News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

PC run amok

Started by SidS1045, January 19, 2023, 11:59:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SidS1045

The language police come for the word "˜field' - The Boston Globe

The School of Social Work at USC has decided that the word "field" has racial overtones, and they are replacing it with "practicum."

I can see it now:  Kevin Costner's tribute to baseball becomes "Practicum of Dreams."  Play-by-play announcers start each game with "The (insert favorite team here) have taken the practicum!"

Best comment (login required to read them all):  "I'm a lifelong liberal Democrat, and I'm sick of this nonsense."
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

abefroman329

Yeah, well, this liberal Democrat recognizes that language changes over time and isn't sick of "this nonsense," especially when "this nonsense" is just "treating others with respect," so I cancel out the alleged lib Dem you cited.

Pretty sensationalist headline and commentary - I wonder what actually happened.  Just recently, conservatives were losing their minds about Stanford declaring "America" offensive, when all they were saying is that using "America" to describe the US isn't quite accurate, since "America" can also be used to describe all of North and South America.

formulanone

Man, I had visions of a desktop computer — replete with bolts from both sides of the monitor stand — somehow getting hit with a nuclear device and subsequently trashing everyone's tablets, phones, and smart television sets into oblivion in a bid for relevance once again, while the populace squeals in horror. A zombie Steve Jobs, reanimated by Linus Torvalds, attempt to quell the beast back to its basement, while Scientific Atlanta unleashes their Eternal Night of the Living Cable Box during the chaos.

triplemultiplex

Clickbait unworthy of discussion.
counting down to thread lock....
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

abefroman329

Quote from: formulanone on January 19, 2023, 12:17:05 PM
Man, I had visions of a desktop computer — replete with bolts from both sides of the monitor stand — somehow getting hit with a nuclear device and subsequently trashing everyone's tablets, phones, and smart television sets into oblivion in a bid for relevance once again, while the populace squeals in horror. A zombie Steve Jobs, reanimated by Linus Torvalds, attempt to quell the beast back to its basement, while Scientific Atlanta unleashes their Eternal Night of the Living Cable Box during the chaos.
Yeah, I was expecting this to be a thread about things you can only do on a PC now and not a Mac.

hotdogPi

I thought it was a personal "My computer is having problems" thread.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

US 89

Max Rockatansky

I was hoping for a sentient killer PC.

abefroman329

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 19, 2023, 12:28:51 PM
I was hoping for a sentient killer PC.
Ridiculous.  How would the PC move around?

hotdogPi

Yesterday, one of my cats typed something while I was out of my room, and it opened about 30 new email windows with an attachment of the page I was on. (It was a different forum.) I had to restart my computer.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Takumi

I hate it when my computer won't connect to a wireless printer that's already in it's known devices.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

GaryV

Somebody better tell Wikipedia.

QuoteA practicum (also called work placement, especially in the UK) is an undergraduate or graduate-level course, often in a specialized field of study, that is designed to give students supervised practical application of a previously or concurrently studied field or theory.
(emphasis mine)

abefroman329

Quote from: Takumi on January 19, 2023, 12:32:48 PMI hate it when my computer won't connect to a wireless printer that's already in it's known devices.
We had to buy a printer in England because we had things that needed to be printed and it was either that or drive 30 minutes to the nearest shop that prints documents (no Kinko's or the equivalent).  I didn't want to spend a lot, and boy, did I get what I paid for.  At home, I can connect the printer to the wireless router directly using the touchscreen.  With this printer, you had to:
(1) Download the app
(2) Disconnect your phone from the router
(3) Connect your phone to the printer using Bluetooth/the app
(4) Use the app to connect the printer to the router

And it didn't work every single time, either.

Bruce

Picking the most extreme example to make fun of a broad movement is a typical strategy for ragebaiters and those dumb enough to fall for it.

WillWeaverRVA

My PC was working fine until it suddenly started saying "kill all humans".
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

jmacswimmer

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on January 19, 2023, 01:00:17 PM
My PC was working fine until it suddenly started saying "kill all humans".

Did you try turning it off and turning it back on again?
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

SectorZ

Scott5114

It is incorrect to post anything political that doesn't have to do with roads to this forum.

If you want to discuss politics, you can do it on this website I found.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.