News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I Have Now Visited Another Country Without Leaving My House

Started by JayhawkCO, September 25, 2023, 01:57:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayhawkCO

https://www.cnn.com/2023/09/25/politics/new-us-diplomatic-relations/index.html

Looks like the U.S. has just recognized Niue and the Cook Islands as independent countries. I visited the Cook Islands back in 2012, so now up to 74.

7/8

In before Rothman says you need to revisit the country for it to count. :colorful:

hotdogPi

Just because the US recognizes it doesn't mean it's actually a new country. (I'm serious about this one, unlike 7/8's post regarding Rothman.)
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Rothman

How can you say you've visited a country that didn't exist when you allegedly did?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Rothman on September 25, 2023, 02:48:05 PM
How can you say you've visited a country that didn't exist when you allegedly did?

By typing "click, clack, click" on my keyboard. I can say it out loud to no one in particular right now as well.

kphoger

Question:  Did Juan Ponce de León visit Brevard County in 1513?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on September 25, 2023, 02:51:01 PM

He visited what is now Brevard County in 1513. Not particularly a related analogy though.

Nothing has changed with the Cook Islands since I visited other than recognition. They have been an independent nation in free association with New Zealand since 1965. The only thing that has changed now is that the U.S. government recognizes them as independent, so, therefore, do I. It's not like they just declared independence.

Rothman

Quote from: JayhawkCO on September 25, 2023, 02:54:47 PM
Quote from: kphoger on September 25, 2023, 02:51:01 PM

He visited what is now Brevard County in 1513. Not particularly a related analogy though.

Nothing has changed with the Cook Islands since I visited other than recognition. They have been an independent nation in free association with New Zealand since 1965. The only thing that has changed now is that the U.S. government recognizes them as independent, so, therefore, do I. It's not like they just declared independence.

If independence is reliant upon U.S. recognition (as you say, "so do I"), then they weren't independent prior to that recognition.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

Quote from: JayhawkCO on September 25, 2023, 02:54:47 PM

So really, from our perspective, all that happened is that you changed your mind about including it in the list.  I mean, you're the one who decided to use the same list as the US government to begin with.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hotdogPi

The "correct" list of countries is UN + Kosovo + Taiwan.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

JayhawkCO

Well, I could just be completely willy nilly about a list of what is or isn't a country, or I could go by some generally accepted list. Otherwise there are many other autonomous regions, etc. that I could include: Scotland, Svalbard, Madeira, Aland, etc.

Rothman

The correct list is using Sporcle's world capital quiz

JayhawkCO

Quote from: 1 on September 25, 2023, 03:00:18 PM

So you can pick and choose what to add or subtract from a recognized list?

kphoger

Quote from: Rothman on September 25, 2023, 02:58:50 PM
If independence is reliant upon U.S. recognition (as you say, "so do I"), then they weren't independent prior to that recognition.

No, no, you're missing it.  He says it was an independent country in reality while he was there, but that it wasn't an independent country on his list while he was there.
Male pronouns, please.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on September 25, 2023, 03:03:23 PM
Quote from: Rothman on September 25, 2023, 02:58:50 PM

No, no, you're missing it.  He says it was an independent country in reality while he was there, but that it wasn't an independent country on his list while he was there.

Correct.

Rothman

Quote from: JayhawkCO on September 25, 2023, 03:01:04 PM
Well, I could just be completely willy nilly about a list of what is or isn't a country, or I could go by some generally accepted list. Otherwise there are many other autonomous regions, etc. that I could include: Scotland, Svalbard, Madeira, Aland, etc.
That's just crazytalk.

kphoger

I wonder if your list of visited countries should change whenever you cross an international boundary, to match that country's official list.
Male pronouns, please.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on September 25, 2023, 03:05:46 PM
I wonder if your list of visited countries should change whenever you cross an international boundary, to match that country's official list.

Eh, I've been to some countries that recognize some stranger "countries". For instance, Nicaragua recognizes Abkhazia, Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic, and South Ossetia. I have less of an issue with "Western Sahara" than I do for the other two.

JayhawkCO

kphoger

Quote from: JayhawkCO on September 25, 2023, 03:12:26 PM

Eh, I've been to some countries that recognize some stranger "countries". For instance, Nicaragua recognizes Abkhazia, Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic, and South Ossetia. I have less of an issue with "Western Sahara" than I do for the other two.

Of particular interest may be the fact that New Zealand does not recognize the Cook Islands as an independent country.
Male pronouns, please.

hotdogPi

Quote from: JayhawkCO on September 25, 2023, 03:16:05 PM

Also, no Vatican City?

Somehow I didn't realize that the UN didn't recognize Vatican City.

Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50

Rothman

Quote from: kphoger on September 25, 2023, 03:17:37 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on September 25, 2023, 03:12:26 PM

Of particular interest may be the fact that New Zealand does not recognize the Cook Islands as an independent country.
Eh, doesn't matter since we do now.  U-S-A!  U-S-A!

JayhawkCO

Quote from: 1 on September 25, 2023, 03:18:18 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on September 25, 2023, 03:16:05 PM

Also, no Vatican City?

Somehow I didn't realize that the UN didn't recognize Vatican City.

Also, if you include Kosovo, then there wouldn't be a whole lot of reason to exclude Cook Islands and Niue. The three have basically the same status within the UN, with the latter two actually having more recognition.

Scott5114

Minus ten points for not saying you've visited a Niue country.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 25, 2023, 03:40:21 PM
Minus ten points for not saying you've visited a Niue country.

Had only I visited Niue instead, then maybe I could have pulled this off.

Cook Islands was well worth the long ass flight.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.