News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Spin-off companies that outlasted their parent companies

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, December 19, 2023, 07:02:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

planxtymcgillicuddy

What are some good examples of spin-off companies outlasting the companies that founded them? An example for me is CarMax outlasting its parent company Circuit City
It's easy to be easy when you're easy...

Quote from: on_wisconsin on November 27, 2021, 02:39:12 PM
Whats a Limon, and does it go well with gin?

catch22

This may not exactly qualify, but AT&T. One of the largest companies ever now exists only as a file cabinet full of legal documents somewhere in Texas.

Split up in 1984 as part of settling an antitrust lawsuit into several companies. Later on, one of the spun-off "Baby Bells," SBC, acquired its former parent (and some of the other spinoffs) and began using AT&T as its corporate name. (I'm familiar with this once since both my wife and I are AT&T retirees.)

Max Rockatansky

freebrickproductions

K-mart Australia will almost certainly outlast the North American K-mart.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

kurumi

Decades ago, Mr. Donut had hundreds of locations in the US. But they were acquired by Dunkin Donuts, and now have just one branded location in the US, in Illinois.

However, now there are more than 10,000 Mr. Donut locations worldwide, mostly in Asia. (The mochi donuts are really good)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

formulanone

Quote from: kurumi on December 19, 2023, 10:39:14 AM
Decades ago, Mr. Donut had hundreds of locations in the US. But they were acquired by Dunkin Donuts, and now have just one branded location in the US, in Illinois.

However, now there are more than 10,000 Mr. Donut locations worldwide, mostly in Asia. (The mochi donuts are really good)

I didn't know that was a chain until very recently; I figured the one we had in town (which disappeared around 1990) was just a one-off itself, because I'd never noticed any others.

oscar

Not quite the same, but the giant nonprofit Kaiser Permanente health system that Henry Kaiser helped found (originally to provide health care to workers at his dam construction projects and shipyards) certainly overshadows what's left of his industrial empire.

Kaiser Aluminum is a more conventional spinoff that outlasted most of Henry Kaiser's other for-profit enterprises.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

bing101

Shakey's Philippines outlasted and became bigger than Shakey's Pizza which originated in Sacramento.

TheHighwayMan3561

Kenny Rogers Roasters is another one that no longer exists in North America but has a sizable presence in Asian markets.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

jdb1234

Quote from: Takumi on December 19, 2023, 12:24:09 PM
TJ Maxx was started by Zayre.

So was Bj's Wholesale Club.

Other examples off the top of my head:
Discover Card will outlast Sears
Ruby Tuesday outlasted Morrison's Cafeteria

Takumi

Quote from: jdb1234 on December 19, 2023, 05:02:39 PM
Quote from: Takumi on December 19, 2023, 12:24:09 PM
TJ Maxx was started by Zayre.

So was Bj's Wholesale Club.

I knew there was a second Zayre spinoff business that was still around, but I could never remember what it was.

In the "companies that were started in the US but solely exist in other countries now" vein, Wimpy is a popular fast food chain in South Africa.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

-- US 175 --

Accenture (a consulting company) was a spinoff from Arthur Andersen (one of the longtime accounting firms), prior to Arthur Andersen's spectacular downfall in the wake of the Enron mess.

Molandfreak

Quote from: freebrickproductions on December 19, 2023, 09:56:21 AM
And Kmart was originally a spin-off of Kresge's dime stores, so the spin-off of a spin-off is going the strongest 50 years after the original company died.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

Big John

Molandfreak

An interesting one is Monster Energy, which was originally started by a small juice company, Hansen's Natural Juices. As the monster brand grew, the original Hansen's company rebranded to Monster, but the juices were still sold. Eventually the juice part of the brand was sold to coca-cola and they continued producing it for a while, but they stopped bottling it years ago.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

Amaury

Outlasting in what context? As in, the parent company shutting down first, but the spinoff staying open for however long more? Or as in the spinoff lasting longer timewise compared to the parent company? For example, after five years of being open, the parent company creates a spinoff. After 10 years of being open, the parent company shuts down, but the spinoff continues running and eventually surpasses the parent company by being open for 20 years and is still open to date.

Reminds me of television series, where if there's a spinoff, the spinoff is usually canceled after one or two seasons, while the parent series, which has been running for years, continues to air new episodes. The Goldbergs and Schooled and The Rookie and The Rookie: Feds are two examples that come to mind. Schooled (2019–2020) was canceled after two seasons, while The Goldbergs (2013–2023), which had already been running for a long time, continued to air new seasons and episodes for another few years. The Rookie: Feds (2022–2023) was canceled after only one season, while The Rookie (2018–present) is still running.
Quote from: Rean SchwarzerWe stand before a great darkness, but remember, darkness can't exist where light is. Let's be that light!

Wikipedia Profile: Amaury

Route66Fan

Software company HeR Interactive, mostly known for making the Nancy Drew mystery PC games, started out in 1995 as a division of American Laser Games, which was mostly known for making light gun arcade games like Mad Dog McCree & Who Shot Johnny Rock?

After finding some initial success, HeR Interactive was spun off into its own company &, by the late 90's, bought out it's former parent company, American Laser Games.

In 2000, Digital Leisure Inc. acquired the development & publishing rights to the games once developed & published by American Laser Games.

HeR Interactive still continues to make Nancy Drew mystery PC games to this day.

bing101

Quote from: freebrickproductions on December 19, 2023, 09:56:21 AM
https://www.wesfarmers.com.au/our-businesses/our-businesses
Yes because Kmart Australia is owned by an investment company called Wesfarmers and they also hold the rights to the Target name in Australia.
In an  unrelated case Pak N Save it used to be well known in the San Francisco area but the majority were renamed as Safeway. However the name Pak'N Save is better known in New Zealand yes it's a case of a store brand being tied to a bigger investment group. This is like Ralphs Supermarkets of Southern California is tied to Kroger type situation here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pak%27nSave

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foodstuffs_(company)

https://local.safeway.com/pak-n-save/ca.html

KCRoadFan

Isn't there a store called Lawson that started out selling milk in Ohio - but is now a convenience store chain in Japan?

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: KCRoadFan on December 21, 2023, 01:31:44 PM
Isn't there a store called Lawson that started out selling milk in Ohio - but is now a convenience store chain in Japan?

Yup. The Japanese incarnation of Lawson outlived the original American one, which was absorbed by various companies that eventually merged into Tyson Foods.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

lepidopteran

Howard Johnson started out as a restaurant, and while that's not around anymore, the hotel chain is -- under the Wyndham banner.  There's also the Ground Round restaurant spin-off, though not as many as there once were.

Along similar lines, in 1983 Apple Computer introduced a new advanced desktop system called the Lisa.  But with a price around $10k, few people purchased it.  So about a year later, Apple decided to market a stripped-down version of the Lisa with the same revolutionary user-friendly interface, but at a much more affordable price.  Perhaps you have heard of the Macintosh?

Takumi

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on December 21, 2023, 02:25:28 PM
Quote from: KCRoadFan on December 21, 2023, 01:31:44 PM

Yup. The Japanese incarnation of Lawson outlived the original American one, which was absorbed by various companies that eventually merged into Tyson Foods.

I thought about mentioning Lawson in my previous reply, but when looking them up the Japanese version has opened a couple of stores in Hawaii so I wasn't quite sure if it counted.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Dirt Roads

Here's a different twist:  The Staten Island Railroad was spun off from the Chessie System and lives on as a subsidiary of the New York MTA, long outliving the Chessie brand.  Some might say that the Chessie lives on as the big "C" in CSX Transportation, but there are very few remaining symbols of the Chessie cat remaining outside of the railfan world.  (Chessie the Cat was a longtime symbol of the smooth travel promised on Chesapeake and Ohio passenger trains).  For the record, I am a Roadgeek and not a railfan.

TheStranger

Since Mr. Donut, Shakey's, Kenny Rogers, and Lawson were all mentioned here, here are other examples of American brands that have a significantly higher Philippine presence than in the US:

Boysen Paints (founded in Oakland in the 1930s but with zero footprint in America in decades)
Italianni's restaurant (one or two locations left in the US, about 45+ in the Philippines)
Magoo's Pizza (one revived location in Hawaii, vs. three bowling alley kiosks in metro Manila)

There's also a local brand there named Holly Farms that is..probably not connected to the former Tyson Foods brand/division that sponsored NASCAR races at North Wilkesboro.

---

To the main topic of thread:

Target basically subsumed its original parentage of Dayton's/Hudson's department stores, outlasting both brands
Didn't Filene's Basement outlive Filene's (though neither exists today)
Radio Shack/Tandy is an interesting case, as the Radio Shack brand eventually dissolved for a while and the Tandy Leather brand emerged again (there was a Tandy Leather store in San Bruno until a few years ago)
Chris Sampang

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.