News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Running List of non interstate freeways and expressways in Illinois

Started by Crash_It, May 27, 2019, 02:16:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crash_It

The purpose of this thread will be to document the existence of Non interstate freeways and expressways in the State of Illinois. As we know, states like CA, TX and FL have an abundance of freeways that are not interstate highways. This thread will prove that this also exists in Illinois. Reply with any one's that I may have missed.

-Illinois Route 2 (from South of Dixon to just North of Sterling)
-Illinois Route 38 (from I294 to Summit Ave)
-Illinois Route 53 (from IL68 till 53 exits at Biesterfield Rd, has
another divided arterial expressway section south of Joliet).
-Illinois Route 56 (short freeway section around the IL83 and 38 interchanges, another one from the I88 concurrency till its terminus at US30).
-Illinois Route 83 (two freeway sections through Dupage County not sure of the start and end points of each)
-Illinois Route 120 (from Knight Ave to Oplaine Rd then continues as an arterial expressway until Mill Rd)
-Illinois Route 137 (Amstutz Expressway, Bobby Thompson Expressway)
-Illinois Route 171 (from 55th st to 44th place with another short section around the 294 interchange)
-Illinois Route 251 (second street portion in Rockford)
-Illinois Route 336 (from I172 to US67)
-Illinois Route 390 (from Illinois 83 to US20, still counts even though it's tolled now)
-Illinois Route 394 (from I80/94/294 interchange to US Route 30, continues otherwise as a divided arterial expressway)
-US Route 12 (Short freeway section from the IL176 interchange until the split with IL59, is an arterial expressway elsewhere in Lake County. Has two freeway sections with a concurrency with US20 and 45 in Cook County).
-US Route 20, outside of Chicagoland there are two sections 1) from the I39/90 interchange to BR20 in Freeport then a short section in Jo Daviess County east of Galena. Within Chicagoland there are three sections 1) the Elgin bypass then another two brief sections under concurrency with US Route 12 and 45.
-US Route 41 (Delaney Rd to Amherst Pkwy, then from IL 137 to IL60, again from Park Ave West till US41 exits onto Skokie Rd, Lake Shore Drive from Foster avenue to Chicago Avenue and finally from around Soldier field to 57th Pl). It is a divided arterial expressway throughout all of Lake County in other portions.

-US Route 45, Short burst of freeway from IL72 to Lawrence Avenue then another from Lawrence Avenue to IL19. Another section of freeway runs along Lagrange Rd from US66 to 87th st, continues as arterial expressway from 87th st to slightly before IL7). Concurrent with US12 and 20 until 95th st.

Again, list any that I may have forgotten.

thspfc

Would US-51 between Bloomington and Decatur qualify?
I'll contribute IL-6 and US-24 in the Peoria area.

Brandon

Quote from: Crash_It on May 27, 2019, 02:16:11 PM
The purpose of this thread will be to document the existence of Non interstate freeways and expressways in the State of Illinois. As we know, states like CA, TX and FL have an abundance of freeways that are not interstate highways. This thread will prove that this also exists in Illinois. Reply with any one's that I may have missed.

-Illinois Route 2 (from South of Dixon to just North of Sterling)

Divided highway with at least one signal for Sauk Valley CC.

Quote-Illinois Route 38 (from I294 to Summit Ave)
-Illinois Route 53 (from IL68 till 53 exits at Biesterfield Rd, has
another divided arterial expressway section south of Joliet).

I-290 from I-90 south to Biersterfield

Quote-Illinois Route 56 (short freeway section around the IL83 and 38 interchanges, another one from the I88 concurrency till its terminus at US30).
-Illinois Route 83 (two freeway sections through Dupage County not sure of the start and end points of each)

63rd Street north to 22nd Street, and then from 16th Street to the Walmart signal.

Quote-Illinois Route 120 (from Knight Ave to Oplaine Rd then continues as an arterial expressway until Mill Rd)
-Illinois Route 137 (Amstutz Expressway, Bobby Thompson Expressway)
-Illinois Route 171 (from 55th st to 44th place with another short section around the 294 interchange)

That second section at I-293 isn't really more than just for the interchange itself.  I wouldn't count it.

Quote-Illinois Route 251 (second street portion in Rockford).

Divided highway with signals.

Quote-Illinois Route 336 (from I172 to US67)
-Illinois Route 390 (from Illinois 83 to US20, still counts even though it's tolled now)
-Illinois Route 394 (from I80/94/294 interchange to US Route 30, continues otherwise as a divided arterial expressway)
-US Route 12 (Short freeway section from the IL176 interchange until the split with IL59, is an arterial expressway elsewhere in Lake County. Has two freeway sections with a concurrency with US20 and 45 in Cook County).

The only stretch outside of that short one by Wauconda is the LaGrange Road Bridge across the Des Plaines River.  There's nothing else that would remotely qualify as freeway.

Quote-US Route 20, outside of Chicagoland there are two sections 1) from the I39/90 interchange to BR20 in Freeport then a short section in Jo Daviess County east of Galena. Within Chicagoland there are three sections 1) the Elgin bypass then another two brief sections under concurrency with US Route 12 and 45.

It's around Freeport, then a divided highway with two signals (Pecatonica and Winnebago), then freeway again around Rockford and then around Elgin.  Again, that's only really one section concurrent with US-45 (and US-12).

Quote-US Route 41 (Delaney Rd to Amherst Pkwy, then from IL 137 to IL60, again from Park Ave West till US41 exits onto Skokie Rd, Lake Shore Drive from Foster avenue to Chicago Avenue and finally from around Soldier field to 57th Pl). It is a divided arterial expressway throughout all of Lake County in other portions.

From the Spur to Skokie Road, it's also I-94, hence, it doesn't count for this.

Quote-US Route 45, Short burst of freeway from IL72 to Lawrence Avenue then another from Lawrence Avenue to IL19. Another section of freeway runs along Lagrange Rd from US66 to 87th st, continues as arterial expressway from 87th st to slightly before IL7). Concurrent with US12 and 20 until 95th st.

The freeway is really only from just north of I-55 (there's a signal about a half mile north) to 87th.  I wouldn't count the ones north or south.  The northern one from Lawrence to Irving Park is just a rail viaduct.  There are signals all over the place there.  The southern one is an interchange at IL-83 due to the elevation difference at the Cal-Sag Channel.

QuoteAgain, list any that I may have forgotten.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

ilpt4u

IL 255, north of I-255/I-270 Interchange to US 67 north of Alton

US 50 where it first enters IL from IN (where the freeway continues around Vincennes); other parts of US 50 have isolated interchanges and grade separations across the state, but not consistently...Pretty sure mostly remnants of when the US 50 corridor was supposed to become I-64

Those may be the only Southern IL mentions

Western IL has the new IL 336/110 Macomb Bypass, currently a grade separated Super 2

US 34 near Galesburg

IL 92 between I-280 and downtown Rock Island

edwaleni

IL-56 from I-88 (Reagan Tollway) to US30 in Sugar Grove.

ilpt4u

Should we add former non-interstate Freeways/Tollways that got the I-shield later? IE the Tri-State or the Kennedy?

Or is this a Current list?

Expressway partial access control tons.I won't include urban multilayer undivideds
34 on East side of Galesburg to the 34 freeway. I
Monmouth bypass
34 Biggsville bypass
34 east of Burlington bridge.
Finally west of Plano and it eventually becomes urban undivided
67 urban undivided becomes expressway too illinois 94
The 2.5 miles of 3 lane
Expressway until urban in Macomb and 2 miles of 3 lane until 4 lane expressway begins near Jacksonville Full freeway around Jacksonville and labeled business 72.
Then expressway to Roodhouse
Then South of Jerseyville and onto 255 freeway above and the Urban route through Alton.
Plans to 4 lane to Jerseyville and build new Beardstown Bridge on 4 lane ROW

csw

More from Southern IL (south of I-64). These are all just basic divided highways.
- IL 3 from Waterloo to I-255
- IL 13 between Murphysboro and Harrisburg, exlcuding sections within the towns themselves
- US 45 from Harrisburg to halfway between Eldorado and Norris City
- IL 15 from Freeburg to I-255

Others
- CKC around Macomb was already mentioned, but it's also 4 lanes from Macomb until it becomes I-172 outside of Quincy.
- US 20 was already mentioned between Freeport and Rockford. There's also another section between IL 84 and Dubuque, IA.

Also worth mentioning is IL 100 between Alton and Grafton. Not a full divided highway but it's four lanes with a dividing barrier. (Also one of the prettiest drives in the state.)

US 50 is interesting since it was an original corridor for 64 and later a supplemental freeway. There is land for a 2 or 4 lane bypass for Lebanon under study and 2 lanes on a 4 lane ROW to Carlyle and the it's 4 lanes before 57  to Salem and the there is a 4 lane ROW from I think Xenia to the 4 lane section . There was a study to add lanes between Olney and the existing but it never seems to have been finished and went away.

inkyatari

IL 47, between I-80 and Caton Farm Road.  Should be completed this summer.  Currently 75% is open.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

ET21

Quote from: Crash_It on May 27, 2019, 02:16:11 PM

expressway)

Again, list any that I may have forgotten.

1st section: 63rd St to I-88/22nd Street
2nd section (very brief): 18th Street to Riverside/Monroe intersection
3rd section: North Ave (IL-64) to Third Ave/Oak Meadows Drive

The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

captkirk_4

US 45 has an old four lane expressway segment from Rantoul to Urbana, also south of Champaign from the airport to Tolono. US 51 is four lanes from Decatur to the outskirts of Pana.

edwaleni

Quote from: 3467 on May 28, 2019, 09:42:42 AM
US 50 is interesting since it was an original corridor for 64 and later a supplemental freeway. There is land for a 2 or 4 lane bypass for Lebanon under study and 2 lanes on a 4 lane ROW to Carlyle and the it's 4 lanes before 57  to Salem and the there is a 4 lane ROW from I think Xenia to the 4 lane section . There was a study to add lanes between Olney and the existing but it never seems to have been finished and went away.

The 4 lane section north of Xenia was demoted back in the late 70's when the funding was removed.  While the concrete is still there and the bridges sit and rust and grow weeds, IDOT still owns most of the ROW.

There is a study to extend the US50 freeway from Lawrenceville to the WalMart Distro center in Olney.

The problem beyond that is that the ADT between Flora and Salem is pretty doggone low.

There have been fits and starts to finish what they started between O'Fallon and Carlyle, but it never gets past funding to update the EIS.

I will say what I always say. If/when they permit oil fracking in Illinois, growth in the southern section will blossom.

The 50 study along with 34 vanished from the featured projects list at IDOT. 34 has real design issues with the corps on the Mississippi flood plain. The cost to comply is insane. 30 also disappeared but it was officially cancelled. Wonder what happened to 50.

edwaleni

Quote from: 3467 on August 26, 2019, 09:23:41 AM
The 50 study along with 34 vanished from the featured projects list at IDOT. 34 has real design issues with the corps on the Mississippi flood plain. The cost to comply is insane. 30 also disappeared but it was officially cancelled. Wonder what happened to 50.

The funding for US50 was eventually redirected to help get I-39 finished under Gov. James Thompson as part of winning the Diamond-Star Mitsubishi factory in Normal. (Now it is owned by electric truck maker Rivian.)

Hence the abandoned bridges, concrete, etc. scattered along the ROW.

The Ghostbuster

Should Illinois do what Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana, and Ohio did, and add exit numbers to all the non-interstate freeways and expressways in Illinois?

Brandon

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on August 27, 2019, 04:07:26 PM
Should Illinois do what Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana, and Ohio did, and add exit numbers to all the non-interstate freeways and expressways in Illinois?

Yes, but how?  Since, unlike the surrounding states, Illinois uses a California-style postmile system on all non-interstates (except IL-390 and IL-255).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Revive 755

Quote from: Brandon on August 27, 2019, 05:25:25 PM
Since, unlike the surrounding states, Illinois uses a California-style postmile system on all non-interstates (except IL-390 and IL-255).

IL 255 does not leave Madison County.  :)

I was going to mention IL 6 (since it has exit numbers), but that one does not leave Peoria County.  Then there's US 41 just north of the Edens Spur, but those milemarkers appear to be based on the county line.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.