News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-294 Quarry?

Started by inkyatari, July 11, 2019, 02:03:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

inkyatari

With the fate of the old US 66 through McCook, IL, being closed because of the ground being unstable, are there any plans on the books, just in case the same thing happens with I-294 through the quarry at Thornton?
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

edwaleni

Quote from: inkyatari on July 11, 2019, 02:03:28 PM
With the fate of the old US 66 through McCook, IL, being closed because of the ground being unstable, are there any plans on the books, just in case the same thing happens with I-294 through the quarry at Thornton?

No.

The Illinois Tollway did a better job of keeping the quarry owners from breaching the base of the highway.

As opposed to the old US 66, the quarry owners got greedy and not only breached the property line, but it allowed rain water (which is acidic) to seep into the limestone base. This is what is causing it to become unstable.

But I wouldn't be surprised if ISTHA had the quarry owners spray a sealant on the quarry walls periodically to help reduce acidic rain breakdown.

Many moons ago that quarry was being proposed as a new Bears stadium, a large stormwater retention zone for the MWRD and as a toxic waste dump/landfill.

inkyatari

Quote from: edwaleni on July 11, 2019, 02:34:55 PM

No.

The Illinois Tollway did a better job of keeping the quarry owners from breaching the base of the highway.

As opposed to the old US 66, the quarry owners got greedy and not only breached the property line, but it allowed rain water (which is acidic) to seep into the limestone base. This is what is causing it to become unstable.

But I wouldn't be surprised if ISTHA had the quarry owners spray a sealant on the quarry walls periodically to help reduce acidic rain breakdown.

Many moons ago that quarry was being proposed as a new Bears stadium, a large stormwater retention zone for the MWRD and as a toxic waste dump/landfill.

The MWRD are using the west and north lobes of the quarry for water retention.  THey built a dam in the little connection that 294 bridges over, according to google earth.

EDIT:  Streetview image:

https://goo.gl/maps/cbEn6TDQu7jN4GJ1A
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

Brandon

Quote from: inkyatari on July 11, 2019, 02:37:34 PM
Quote from: edwaleni on July 11, 2019, 02:34:55 PM

No.

The MWRD are using the west and north lobes of the quarry for water retention.  THey built a dam in the little connection that 294 bridges over, according to google earth.

EDIT:  Streetview image:

https://goo.gl/maps/cbEn6TDQu7jN4GJ1A

It's a part of the Deep Tunnel.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunnel_and_Reservoir_Plan
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.