News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Are rest areas a thing of the past?

Started by lamsalfl, July 14, 2009, 03:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris

Quote from: Terry Shea on July 15, 2009, 10:38:13 AM
Another problem we had in the Grand Rapids area, but I'm sure it's not just a local problem, was blatant and open homosexual activity at a couple of rest areas.  Not only that, people were stopping to use the facilities and being propositioned for sex and the state was receiving numerous complaints. 

Yeah, this has been a problem in Europe too, they closed several rest areas in the Netherlands due to this problem.  :ded:

Imagine, you're on a family trip, and decide for a break with your young children at a rest area, and all the sudden you'll see men going at it in the bushes..  :paranoid:

florida

Quote from: thenetwork on July 14, 2009, 10:50:02 PM
The oddity along I-70 in Western Colorado (Utah to Denver) is that the majority of official "Rest Areas" are located off the mainline interstate, usually adjacent to the freeway exit, so that one Rest Area serves both Eastbound & Westbound traffic as well as local, non-interstate traffic.

Most of the mainline "Rest Areas" along the same stretch of I-70 in Colorado are officially known as "Scenic Views" or "Parking Areas" with little or no rest area amenities.

There is one like that here, at I-10 and SR 81. And another odd one at the Apalachicola River where the rest area is on the south side of I-10, so if you go west and get off at it, you cross over both carriageways of I-10. I think it's one of those scenic ones, too.

What irks me is I-4 EB says "Last Rest Area on I-4" in Lake Mary, but there is one at MM 128. They ought to clarify and add "no services" in that statement.
So many roads...so little time.

exit322

I know the "20 cents higher fuel" argument is the one that'll be used, but the last few times I was on the toll road, it just wasn't the case.  The price was within a dime of what you could get it off the tollway - thus, I'm not getting off the tollway, haha!

There are definitely highways that could use a service plaza on them, even non-tollroads, just by the dearth of services near the road.

froggie

There's one stretch of the Hudson River valley south of Albany, NY where you'll find cheaper gas on the Thruway than you will off the Thruway.

thenetwork

Quote from: exit322 on July 18, 2009, 10:07:46 AM
I know the "20 cents higher fuel" argument is the one that'll be used, but the last few times I was on the toll road, it just wasn't the case.  The price was within a dime of what you could get it off the tollway - thus, I'm not getting off the tollway, haha!

There are definitely highways that could use a service plaza on them, even non-tollroads, just by the dearth of services near the road.

On the Western leg of the NY Thruway, you get the biggest swing in gas prices.  Near the Silver Creek exit you have the (only) service plaza between the PA line & Buffalo, and just off of Silver Creek Exit 58, about 3 miles east on US-20/NY-5 you have an Indian Reservation.

The last time I was through there about 5 years ago, I seem to remember the price difference was somewhere near 50 cents per gallon or more.  Just checked gasbuddy.com, and gas today is as low as 2.24 on the reservation.  Couldn't locate a price for the Thruway plaza, but in nearby Hamburg, I spied an off-thruway price of 2.69. 

74/171FAN

A VA representative tried to save the rest areas by allowing businesses at rest areas but it stalled in the House  http://www.insidenova.com/isn/news/local/article/rest_area_amendment_fails_on_capitol_hill/39688/
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

mc78andrew

The rest areas on I-80 in PA are as intact as they have been for the last 20 years.
[/quote]

The only rest areas on I-380 between I-81 and I-80 have been closed for over 20 years...however the long acceleration lanes were reconstructed over the past few years when the mainline was under construction.  SO there is a nice unoffical parking lot for truckers. 

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: Terry Shea on July 15, 2009, 10:38:13 AM
Another problem we had in the Grand Rapids area, but I'm sure it's not just a local problem, was blatant and open homosexual activity at a couple of rest areas.  Not only that, people were stopping to use the facilities and being propositioned for sex and the state was receiving numerous complaints. 

It wasn't a local problem. There was a similar problem in some Quebec rest areas along TCH-20 in the early 1990s.

exit322

Quote from: thenetwork on July 18, 2009, 10:40:30 AM
Quote from: exit322 on July 18, 2009, 10:07:46 AM

On the Western leg of the NY Thruway, you get the biggest swing in gas prices.  Near the Silver Creek exit you have the (only) service plaza between the PA line & Buffalo, and just off of Silver Creek Exit 58, about 3 miles east on US-20/NY-5 you have an Indian Reservation.

The last time I was through there about 5 years ago, I seem to remember the price difference was somewhere near 50 cents per gallon or more.  Just checked gasbuddy.com, and gas today is as low as 2.24 on the reservation.  Couldn't locate a price for the Thruway plaza, but in nearby Hamburg, I spied an off-thruway price of 2.69. 

That's cheating.  :-P  Of course the reservation's cheaper than anything else in NYS!

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Alex

I like the concept of rest areas, because its a free place to go to the bathroom. I sometimes feel odd walking into an establishment and heading right for the bathroom without actually patronizing the place. Additionally, some places actually lock the bathroom doors, requiring customers to obtain a key for entry. I noted this at a several fast food restaurants and gas stations across the country. With rest areas, there is no delay when you need to go!

lamsalfl

I hope some of these rest area closings are temporary ( a few years) until DOT's get back on their financial feet after the recession.

timhomer2009

They're remodeling many of the ones in Texas.  The one on I-45 in Huntsville, and the one on I-10 between Columbus and Weimar (in Colorado County) are very nice.

Alex

roadfro

I don't believe rest areas are a thing of the past, per se, but are less necessary today than they were previously.  They made more sense in the past, though, when one couldn't drive nearly as far/fast as you can today.  Modern vehicle engineering and technological conveniences reduce the need to stop as frequently as in days past.

I believe the decline of the rest area can be partially attributed to more and more gas/service stations catering to travelers (i.e. opening up their bathrooms to customers), especially those that are near Interstate highways.  But more recently and in this economy, it's been a matter of the DOTs looking closely at their maintenance budget and figuring out where they can save some money in the interim. 

I can say that Nevada DOT has not made any mentions of closing any of its rest parks (as far as I'm aware).  You have to keep in mind, however, that most NDOT rest areas aren't as developed as other state's facilities.  Generally, you'll have a modest restroom building, some picnic tables, trees, and space for truck parking.  There are some that are merely a place to pull of the highway among trees and throw away your trash--such as the Crystal Springs rest park at the junction of SR 318 & SR 375 in Lincoln County (at the top of the "Y" in this Google satellite map).  Driving back to Reno from Portland in summer '07, we stopped at a rest area somewhere in north-central California (I believe we were in Lassen Nat'l Forest, probably on either SR 89 or SR 44).  To me, it seemed as though the rest area was fairly new (maybe 5 years old) and somewhat overbuilt given the location, but I assume there must be a need for it or CalTrans wouldn't have built it so recently.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Alex

Unfortunately some of what was discussed above regarding the closing of rest areas because of the same services being offered by businesses is happening on Interstate 85 in Georgia:

Some Interstate 85 rest stops now closed

Stephane Dumas

brad2971

One of the nicest rest areas/information centers you'll find on any interstate:

http://www.sddot.com/geninfo_projects_chambrestarea.asp

SDDOT has been replacing all of the permanent facilities at their rest areas for most of the last 16-18 years. There is no way SDDOT will close rest areas anytime soon, especially on I-90 between Mitchell and Rapid City, given how sparse most private facilities are in that stretch. :clap:

SP Cook

In WV, the state has no intension of closing rest areas.

The "welcome center" rest area are all being rebuilt on the design first used on I-68 in Preston County.  New areas have been built in most places, including a relocation of the I-77 south exit to an, off the ramp, area closer to the actual state line.  The areas on I-79, still a rural area, are also being rebuilt.  The Turnpike area were rebilit in the 80s, although the southernmost is failing as a commercial venture, due to its proximity to off-turnpike services.

However, the area in Jefferson County, the only non-interstate area operated by the DOT, has been abandoned, and the I-64 areas in Putnam County, now with plenty of services as the area has changed from rural to suburban, are being left "as is" and will eventually rot to non-useability.

Scott5114

Illinois has more rest areas than I've ever seen on a free road anywhere else. And the Illinois tollways have their oases.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

myosh_tino

From my travels in California, I know the two rest areas east of Barstow on I-15 have been renovated.  Also renovated is the Gold Run rest area on I-80 east of Sacramento.

There was also an article in the local paper saying the Junipero Serra rest area on northbound I-280 south of San Francisco was going to close for renovations.

The main point of the renovations of these rest areas is to bring the restrooms up to ADA compliance.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

agentsteel53

Quote from: myosh_tino on September 06, 2009, 12:47:38 AM
From my travels in California, I know the two rest areas east of Barstow on I-15 have been renovated. 
the 1947 porcelain sign just past Baker before the mountain pass survives, despite being about 30 feet ahead of the newly opened rest stop.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Alex

Quote from: 74/171FAN on July 14, 2009, 03:58:02 PM
VDOT is about to close 18 rest areas as of July 21 and the I-66 WB Manassas Welcome Center September 16

Virginia Rest Stops Close

QuoteThe state has a 2.6 billion dollar revenue shortfall. To cut spending, the commonwealth transportation board voted to cut the number of rest stops from 42 to 23. It'll save 8. 6 million dollars.

The ones closed are:

Interstate 95

• MP 155 - Dale City Car-Only Safety Rest Area south
  • MP 155 - Dale City Car-Only Safety Rest Area north
  • MP 107 - Ladysmith Safety Rest Area south
  • MP 107 - Ladysmith Safety Rest Area north

* - the truck rest areas remain open at Dale City

Interstate 64

• MP 169 - Goochland Safety Rest Area east
  • MP 169 - Goochland Safety Rest Area west

Interstate 66

• MP 48 - Manassas Safety Rest Area/Welcome Center
  • MP 48 - Manassas Safety Rest Area east

Interstate 81

• MP 53 - Smyth Safety Rest Area
  • MP 61 - Rural Retreat Safety Rest Area
  • MP 108 - Radford Safety Rest Area north
  • MP 158 - Troutville Safety Rest Area
  • MP 232 - Mount Sydney Safety Rest Area north
  • MP 232 - Mount Sydney Safety Rest Area south
  • MP 262 - New Market Safety Rest Area south

Interstate 85

• MP 55 - Dinwiddie Safety Rest Area south
  • MP 55 - Dinwiddie Safety Rest Area north
  • MP 32 - Alberta Safety Rest Area south
  • MP 32 - Alberta Safety Rest Area north

leifvanderwall

I think truckers need more rest areas because they are having trouble finding places to sleep and many of them park right on the on and off ramps . Many semi trucks get into accidents because many drivers cheat on their rest times;  they cannot find a place to park.  The lots at the truck stops are always full too and are not adequate.

agentsteel53

Quote from: leifvanderwall on October 09, 2009, 01:33:35 PM
I think truckers need more rest areas because they are having trouble finding places to sleep and many of them park right on the on and off ramps . Many semi trucks get into accidents because many drivers cheat on their rest times;  they cannot find a place to park.  The lots at the truck stops are always full too and are not adequate.

there are plenty of places to park.  Just pull a little further off the off-ramp and no one minds your presence.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.