Getting from Texas to the rest of the country

Started by bassoon1986, April 10, 2020, 01:28:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

Quote from: US 89 on April 14, 2020, 01:41:59 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on April 13, 2020, 10:37:56 PM
I don't consider state highways of relevance for these sorts of lists. OK-99 and K-99 junction at the state line, but they are separate highways with separate shields, maintained by separate organizations. ODOT could decommission OK-99, leaving K-99 with a spur ending, and KDOT could do fuck all about it. Accordingly, I did not include Pawnee County on Oklahoma's list.

I disagree - in this case there is a direct, numbered route you could take from Pawnee County that will get you all the way to Kansas. Sure, SH 99 and K-99 are different routes, but in my opinion they're functionally the same highway and ought to be treated as a single route for the purposes of threads like this. And that would remain the case even if the route number changed at the line - for example, I'd say Utah 21 and Nevada 487 should be considered a single highway.

That just kind of cheapens the point of the whole exercise though. To me, the point is to find counties where you can find a shield that's identical to one in Texas. What about designations that TOTSO and another designation continues the straight line route from Texas? Suddenly you're filling in the whole map.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 14, 2020, 01:51:50 AM
Quote from: US 89 on April 14, 2020, 01:41:59 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on April 13, 2020, 10:37:56 PM
I don't consider state highways of relevance for these sorts of lists. OK-99 and K-99 junction at the state line, but they are separate highways with separate shields, maintained by separate organizations. ODOT could decommission OK-99, leaving K-99 with a spur ending, and KDOT could do fuck all about it. Accordingly, I did not include Pawnee County on Oklahoma's list.

I disagree - in this case there is a direct, numbered route you could take from Pawnee County that will get you all the way to Kansas. Sure, SH 99 and K-99 are different routes, but in my opinion they're functionally the same highway and ought to be treated as a single route for the purposes of threads like this. And that would remain the case even if the route number changed at the line - for example, I'd say Utah 21 and Nevada 487 should be considered a single highway.

That just kind of cheapens the point of the whole exercise though. To me, the point is to find counties where you can find a shield that's identical to one in Texas. What about designations that TOTSO and another designation continues the straight line route from Texas? Suddenly you're filling in the whole map.
For this exercise, I would consider counting state routes which keep their number over state lines, but definitely not if the numbers change.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

bassoon1986

Well, I tried to map it all out. Texas didn't beat out Illinois. If it could catch more of the southeast with all of the smaller counties it may have fared better. 1141 counties total counting Texas' own counties.

iPhone

plain

Quote from: bassoon1986 on April 15, 2020, 02:12:12 PM

Well, I tried to map it all out. Texas didn't beat out Illinois. If it could catch more of the southeast with all of the smaller counties it may have fared better. 1141 counties total counting Texas' own counties.

iPhone

Your map seems to be missing South Carolina (I-20)
Newark born, Richmond bred

bassoon1986

Quote from: plain on April 15, 2020, 03:45:25 PM
Quote from: bassoon1986 on April 15, 2020, 02:12:12 PM

iPhone

Your map seems to be missing South Carolina (I-20)
Whoops! So add 7 more to the total.

iPhone

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.