News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

2011 Rand McNally

Started by FLRoads, April 26, 2010, 10:19:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

Quote from: Truvelo on April 27, 2010, 01:59:26 PM
Who actually buys maps these days? When I need to go somewhere and I don't already have a detailed map of the area I simply print out a screengrab of Google Maps.

I prefer to have a paper map, but I don't buy them.  I usually try to get the official DOT map for the state and use that.  They tend to be more accurate, IMHO, and they have the advantage of being free.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

mightyace

Quote from: Brandon on April 27, 2010, 11:05:48 PM
I prefer to have a paper map, but I don't buy them.  I usually try to get the official DOT map for the state and use that.  They tend to be more accurate, IMHO, and they have the advantage of being free.

I try to get those, too.

But, I can also say this about an Atlas. (in addition to what I said earlier)
1) I only have to look for and lay my hands on one thing to be covered for everything.  (as I am a pack rat, that is a very good thing!)  That said, I try and take the DOT maps if I have them and can find them.

2) A consistent legend.  The legend/symbology of DOT maps ranges from excellent to one that a third grader might have done and it seems that no two states use the same legend.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Who actually buys maps these days? When I need to go somewhere and I don't already have a detailed map of the area I simply print out a screengrab of Google Maps.
I'll be damned if I know where to find "local" map(s) in Louisiana.  Therefore, I bought Rand McNallys of BR & NO.  In comparison, I know where to find local maps for 86 of the 88 counties in Ohio (Hamilton/Cincy & Cuyahoga/Cleveland the exceptions) so I don't need Rand McNallys here.  State maps from the various DOTs aren't a problem either.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Alex

Quote from: osu-lsu on April 28, 2010, 01:12:58 AM
I'll be damned if I know where to find "local" map(s) in Louisiana.  Therefore, I bought Rand McNallys of BR & NO.  In comparison, I know where to find local maps for 86 of the 88 counties in Ohio (Hamilton/Cincy & Cuyahoga/Cleveland the exceptions) so I don't need Rand McNallys here.  State maps from the various DOTs aren't a problem either.

The company I worked for used to own the 'New Orleans Map Company', and they had atlases for most of the parishes of southeastern Louisiana. In the months before it went under, all of the LA bases and remaining product were sold to a guy based out of Slidell. I have no idea of what he did with those or if his map company is still in business.

I know that County Engineers in Ohio are required to publish maps for their respective county. Is that what you are referencing for local maps in OH?

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: AARoads on April 28, 2010, 01:26:40 AM
I know that County Engineers in Ohio are required to publish maps for their respective county. Is that what you are referencing for local maps in OH?

Yes. 

rschen7754

I use Thomas Guides.... but then I'm in Southern California :| I find Rand McNally a good quick reference when I need to look up a road for a project though.

PAHighways

Quote from: flaroadgeek on April 26, 2010, 10:19:21 PM
  • Symbology now shown for Historic U.S. 66, The Lincoln Highway, The Lewis & Clark Highway, and The Great Circle Route. The Great River Road symbol has also been improved

That's great news, for the organization I am involved with, that they've added a Lincoln Highway symbol.

• PA: I-99 now shown as complete and also shown in the College State inset

Apparently, it also became a French enclave since the 2009 edition :).

• PA: For all you I-279 fans, it is still intact and I-376 has not taken it over, nor PA 60, unlike the real world...

I'm not surprised they don't have the 376 designation extended, even with the PTC and District 1-0 still not acknowledging it existence.  Perhaps if they kept to releasing these editions on their original timetable, it would have been included.

mightyace

Quote from: PAHighways on April 28, 2010, 08:15:03 PM

Huh?   :confused: I assume you referring to a map error but I haven't seen the atlas yet, so what does that mean?
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

golden eagle

Quote from: osu-lsu on April 28, 2010, 01:12:58 AM

The only ones I know of for Louisiana are the ones Rand McNally has. I've seen them in bookstores here in Jackson for New Orleans and Baton Rouge. I've even seen Shreveport and Monroe a few times.

dave19

PA question: Are they still showing a non-existent PA Route 3 in Lycoming County? They've been doing that for quite a long time...

hbelkins

Quote from: mightyace on April 28, 2010, 09:53:46 PM

Huh?   :confused: I assume you referring to a map error but I haven't seen the atlas yet, so what does that mean?

I take it that's a reference to the home of the Nittany Lions being called "College State" instead of "State College" but I don't get the joke.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: hbelkins on April 28, 2010, 10:43:49 PM
Quote from: mightyace on April 28, 2010, 09:53:46 PM

I take it that's a reference to the home of the Nittany Lions being called "College State" instead of "State College" but I don't get the joke.

There are a lot of college/university campuses that are a state of to themselves.

english si

You mean EXclave of France, or is it now surrounded by France? </pedant>
I'm with the others on not understanding this comment.

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: hbelkins on April 27, 2010, 10:54:50 PM
Quote from: Kacie Jane on April 27, 2010, 04:26:20 PM
I was most curious about two things, and my I-376 question was already answered.

Has anyone told them that I-80 ends at I-95, not at the GWB?  Every edition I can remember (I'm looking at '10 right now) has an I-80/I-95 shield between exits 70 and 72 on both the Newark and New York City "insets".

Technically, doesn't 80 run concurrently with 95 to the bridge?

I'm pretty sure it's signed that way in the field as well, but the only time I ever traveled in that area was at night with a lot of traffic and I wasn't about to try to take photos. I guess I could check my videos, though. to see what they show. Or Street View...

A photo I took in late 2009 seems to confirm this...

I don't recall exactly where I took that, but it was somewhere north of where I-95 and I-80 meet.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

lamsalfl

I'm mad about the whole deal.

They took off elevations for cities!!  

However, I am happy to see a more accurate depiction of urbanized areas as more land has that orange background.  Half of Connecticut is listed as urban.  Lol.  Also, I see on the Memphis inset the I-69 label just south of the border.

Alex

Quote from: lamsalfl on April 29, 2010, 09:18:37 PM

However, I am happy to see a more accurate depiction of urbanized areas as more land has that orange background.  Half of Connecticut is listed as urban.  Lol.  Also, I see on the Memphis inset the I-69 label just south of the border.

And scraped off shields where they were inconvenient. Note that the state shields for AL-158 north of Mobile, OH-420 south of Toledo, and CA-7 east of Calexico were simply removed...

FLRoads

I did not even catch that the other night when I was looking over the atlas!! Those bastards!!

FLRoads

Quote from: AARoads on April 29, 2010, 09:23:13 PM

However, I am happy to see a more accurate depiction of urbanized areas as more land has that orange background.  Half of Connecticut is listed as urban.  Lol.  Also, I see on the Memphis inset the I-69 label just south of the border.

And scraped off shields where they were inconvenient. Note that the state shields for AL-158 north of Mobile, OH-420 south of Toledo, and CA-7 east of Calexico were simply removed...

Maybe they rehired "Mary had no brain" LOL

akotchi

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on April 29, 2010, 11:28:16 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on April 27, 2010, 10:54:50 PM
Quote from: Kacie Jane on April 27, 2010, 04:26:20 PM
I was most curious about two things, and my I-376 question was already answered.

Has anyone told them that I-80 ends at I-95, not at the GWB?  Every edition I can remember (I'm looking at '10 right now) has an I-80/I-95 shield between exits 70 and 72 on both the Newark and New York City "insets".

Technically, doesn't 80 run concurrently with 95 to the bridge?

I'm pretty sure it's signed that way in the field as well, but the only time I ever traveled in that area was at night with a lot of traffic and I wasn't about to try to take photos. I guess I could check my videos, though. to see what they show. Or Street View...

A photo I took in late 2009 seems to confirm this... (Original photo removed) I don't recall exactly where I took that, but it was somewhere north of where I-95 and I-80 meet.

I-80 ends at I-95 in Ridgefield Park, as noted by eastbound signing approaching I-95.  No northbound (I-95) signing approaching the GWB contains I-80 shields.

DTP's photo was taken (I think) just into New Jersey off of the GWB, upper deck, I believe.  Original DOT signage (prior to NJTA taking over this section) generally said I-95 to I-80.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

deathtopumpkins

Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

hbelkins

I checked my raw video. I remember seeing that sign when I merged onto I-95 south/I-80 west just after entering from Bridge Plaza North (off NJ 67). I ended up in the local lane.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

lamsalfl

Looks like after comparing maps that the thickness of the lines of the roads in 2011 have been shrunk by micrometers.  I think this is how they were able to present a much cleaner look to the maps, and show more intricacies of road curves and turns.   Two thumbs up.

ShawnP

I-64 is complete and signed to I-70. Went thru last week and only minor landscaping work is left on the last exit. Rand McNally for being the gold standard so to speak has let itself slip these days.

FLRoads

Quote from: lamsalfl on May 01, 2010, 02:35:02 PM
Looks like after comparing maps that the thickness of the lines of the roads in 2011 have been shrunk by micrometers.  I think this is how they were able to present a much cleaner look to the maps, and show more intricacies of road curves and turns.   Two thumbs up.

Well, as I and a few others have said, it does appear that Rand also changed their map base, which would account for the more detailed road layout on the pages. And you are correct in that the thickness have been shrunk, though I did not do as thorough a research as you did :)

lamsalfl

Y'all are partially right and partially wrong.  I-64 is not shown as complete on the state map, but I-64 shields, blue freeway lines, and exit numbers are perfect on the STL inset.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.