News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Themed street names

Started by hm insulators, December 08, 2010, 12:20:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

empirestate

Quote from: X99 on April 29, 2019, 02:24:57 PM
Well, when were the streets named? Mt. Rushmore isn't all that old of a monument, and Rapid City isn't particularly associated with presidents otherwise, is it?
So you're saying you can't rename streets?
[/quote]

No.

Skye

In the neighborhood in the northwest suburbs of Cincinnati, where my grandmother lived for more than 60 years, and other family members still live, streets are named after trees (Basswood, Sprucewood, Citrus) or cities in Florida (Tallahassee, Lauderdale, Key West)

roadman65

In Cocoa Beach, FL streets are named after FL counties north of SR 520.

St Cloud, FL uses state names.

Garwood, NJ used trees as a theme.

Roselle, NJ used three streets with a common theme.  Locust, Chestnut, and Walnut. 
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

ce929wax

I can't think of any off hand here in Kalamazoo city or township, but the whole county is laid out in a grid where numbered streets go north-south and lettered avenues go east-west.  Other neighboring counties have a similar grid layout.

mrsman

Quote from: US 89 on April 12, 2019, 08:13:07 AM
In a unique move for Utah cities, Ogden names its grid north-south streets for presidents. US 89 through downtown is Washington Blvd, and the names go up in order east of there, using "Quincy"  for the 6th president. The city runs out of room past Buchanan, but the names restart on the other side of Washington, skipping Johnson possibly because he was impeached.

But IMO, the best naming theme is in Dinosaur CO, where streets are named for...you guessed it, dinosaurs. The vast majority of streets are alliterative: US 40 runs through on Brontosaurus Blvd, and the N/S streets include Triceratops Terrace, Antrodemus Alley, Plateosaurus Place, Ceratosaurus Circle, Brachiosaurus Bypass, Camptosaurus Crescent, Diplodicus Drive, and Tyrannosaurus Triangle. There's also Stegosaurus Freeway (carrying CO 64) and Allosaurus Lane.

Fun theme, but atrocious for the spelling-challenged.

mrsman

Quote from: mgk920 on April 16, 2019, 08:15:10 PM
Quote from: empirestate on April 12, 2019, 01:35:29 PM
In a unique move for Utah cities, Ogden names its grid north-south streets for presidents. US 89 through downtown is Washington Blvd, and the names go up in order east of there, using "Quincy"  for the 6th president. The city runs out of room past Buchanan, but the names restart on the other side of Washington, skipping Johnson possibly because he was impeached.

Wonder would they do/would do for the Harrisons, or the Bushes?

For a row of streets to be named in straight order after USA presidents, with no duplications, the list as of now would be:

1 - Washington
2 - Adams
3 - Jefferson
4 - Madison
5 - Monroe
(5.1 - John Quincy Adams)
6 - Jackson
7 - Van Buren
8 - Harrison
9 - Tyler
10 - Polk
11 - Taylor
12 - Fillmore
13 - Pierce
14 - Buchanon
15 - Lincoln
16 - Johnson
17 - Grant
18 - Hayes
19 - Garfield
20 - Arthur
21 - Cleveland
(21.1 - Benjamin Harrison)
(21.2 - Cleveland - 2nd term)
22 - McKinley
23 - Roosevelt
24 - Taft
25 - Wilson
26 - Harding
27 - Coolidge
28 - Hoover
(28.1 - Franklin D. Roosevelt)
29 - Truman
30 - Eisenhower
31 - Kennedy
(31.1 - Lyndon B. Johnson)
32 - Nixon
33 - Ford
34 - Carter
35 - Reagan
36 - Bush
37 - Clinton
(37.1 - George W. Bush)
38 - Obama
39 - Trump

I can see the potential for confusions between Tyler and Taylor, though.  :meh:

Mike

Does anybody know which city has the most presidents listed in a presidency themed street list?

Palm Springs-Indio-Coachella does pretty good.  It names streets in presidential order, relatively main streets about 1 mile apart.  There is no placeholder for JQA.  Taylor is skipped in this pattern (but does exist within a golf course along with Eisenhower).  The pattern seems to end with Cleveland.  [Another street is named after Gerald R. Ford, but he lived in town for  a long time after his presidency ended, again not named in the sequence.]

I can't imagine any current presidential theme street pattern that would have a street named after a president more recent than Kennedy, unless they are happy to rename a street with every election cycle.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: mrsman on June 02, 2019, 08:49:12 PM
I can't imagine any current presidential theme street pattern that would have a street named after a president more recent than Kennedy, unless they are happy to rename a street with every election cycle.

My hometown has a Nixon Street. Of course, here it goes in alphabetical order, not in order of presidency, and with substitutions for D and E (Davis and Emerson–I assume the latter was named before Eisenhower was president.)

mgk920

Kimberly, WI (shares a common border with my hometown City of Appleton, WI) has a Ford St and a Carter Ct.  They're in an industrial/commercial park that was developed in the 1980s.

https://goo.gl/maps/bakGTaBrukZVKUNS7

Mike

webny99

Lakeville, MN, has areas where every neighborhood street (not including main roads) starts with the same letter.

There are A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, and L areas, and there may be more.

Mark68

Quote from: mgk920 on April 16, 2019, 08:15:10 PM
Quote from: empirestate on April 12, 2019, 01:35:29 PM
In a unique move for Utah cities, Ogden names its grid north-south streets for presidents. US 89 through downtown is Washington Blvd, and the names go up in order east of there, using “Quincy” for the 6th president. The city runs out of room past Buchanan, but the names restart on the other side of Washington, skipping Johnson possibly because he was impeached.

Wonder would they do/would do for the Harrisons, or the Bushes?

For a row of streets to be named in straight order after USA presidents, with no duplications, the list as of now would be:

1 - Washington
2 - Adams
3 - Jefferson
4 - Madison
5 - Monroe
(5.1 - John Quincy Adams)
6 - Jackson
7 - Van Buren
8 - Harrison
9 - Tyler
10 - Polk
11 - Taylor
12 - Fillmore
13 - Pierce
14 - Buchanon
15 - Lincoln
16 - Johnson
17 - Grant
18 - Hayes
19 - Garfield
20 - Arthur
21 - Cleveland
(21.1 - Benjamin Harrison)
(21.2 - Cleveland - 2nd term)
22 - McKinley
23 - Roosevelt
24 - Taft
25 - Wilson
26 - Harding
27 - Coolidge
28 - Hoover
(28.1 - Franklin D. Roosevelt)
29 - Truman
30 - Eisenhower
31 - Kennedy
(31.1 - Lyndon B. Johnson)
32 - Nixon
33 - Ford
34 - Carter
35 - Reagan
36 - Bush
37 - Clinton
(37.1 - George W. Bush)
38 - Obama
39 - Trump

I can see the potential for confusions between Tyler and Taylor, though.  :meh:

Mike

Does anybody know which city has the most presidents listed in a presidency themed street list?

Palm Springs-Indio-Coachella does pretty good.  It names streets in presidential order, relatively main streets about 1 mile apart.  There is no placeholder for JQA.  Taylor is skipped in this pattern (but does exist within a golf course along with Eisenhower).  The pattern seems to end with Cleveland.  [Another street is named after Gerald R. Ford, but he lived in town for  a long time after his presidency ended, again not named in the sequence.]

In Riverside & Home Gardens, they do the same thing, with the presidents being a half-mile apart. Starting with Washington thru Lincoln, skipping Taylor, which was named La Sierra Blvd, either for the part of Riverside it traverses, or for the satellite (La Sierra) campus of Loma Linda U. Then, one half mile west of Lincoln, there's McKinley St in Corona.

These were probably named by the county in the late 19th century--before the City of Riverside gobbled up most of that land.
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

Bruce

This neighborhood in Calgary has streets that all use "Martin" at the beginning of their names. Yikes.

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.1176771,-113.9601348,1376m/data=!3m1!1e3

EDIT: Looks like the entire region of Calgary has these naming patterns for each subdivision.

TheGrassGuy

There's a while neighborhood in my town where the streets are named after the American Revolution. You know, Minuteman Ct, Constitution Dr, Independence Dr...
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

Flint1979

Gratiot County, Michigan has almost all mile north-south roads named after Michigan Governor's and almost all mile east-west roads named after U.S. Presidents.

dmr37

In Joliet, IL, there is an area where the streets are named after characters from Charles Dickens books - Harwood, Scribner, Little Dorrit, Krakar, Hebbard, Fairbanks, and Pickwick.  There is even a Dickens Court.

dmr37

Quote from: Alps on December 24, 2010, 07:53:20 PM
I lost track of where I was, somewhere in South Jersey I think, there were a bunch of presidential streets, and in the midst of them was a Clinton St. (and this was clearly the case for many, many years).  Foreshadowing?
Something similar happened in Chicago - Presidential Towers, a retail and residential complex just west of downtown, built in the early 80s, is bordered by Madison, Monroe, Jefferson, and Clinton

X99

Quote from: dmr37 on December 05, 2019, 10:09:00 AM
In Joliet, IL, there is an area where the streets are named after characters from Charles Dickens books - Harwood, Scribner, Little Dorrit, Krakar, Hebbard, Fairbanks, and Pickwick.  There is even a Dickens Court.
Maclen Meadows, a neighborhood in Muskego, Wisconsin, has streets all named after famous authors.
why are there only like 5 people on this forum from south dakota

roadman65

Lakeland, FL has a state named theme in some parts of the city.  Not as much as Atlantic City, NJ does, but in Downtown in addition to the main N-S arterial being Florida Ave. other states like Missouri, Kentucky, Tennessee, and Massachusetts are in succession to it.  Then NJ has a road named after it further to the east from US 98 to Edgewood Drive, but not really part of the downtown them, but nonetheless in the city that has it.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

KCRoadFan

STLmapboy

Downtown STL has a brief tree theme (Spruce, Pine, Locust, Chestnut, Olive, etc.), in addition to the obligatory MLK Blvd. https://www.google.com/maps/@38.6286107,-90.2014587,1665m/data=!3m1!1e3

The western burbs (eg Chesterfield) have upscale-sounding bullshit names like "Worthington Oaks" or "Oakleigh Woods."
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

Flint1979

The Genesee Gardens is a neighborhood in Bridgeport Township and all but two streets (Broadway and Eastlawn) are named for a fruit hince the Gardens part of the name and the streets going in the other direction are named after a state. The states are Kansas, Indiana, Iowa, Nebraska, Montana, California, Oregon, Virginia and Ohio with Eastlawn in between Oregon and Virginia. The fruits are Olive, Orange, Apple, Peach, Pear and Plum with Broadway being in between Plum and Dixie Hwy.

mvak36

In Omaha, just north of Harrison St (Douglas-Sarpy County line) that has streets named after presidents: Washington, Adams, Madison, Jefferson, Monroe, Polk, Van Buren, Harrison (I think it's named after the president, but not sure), Hayes, Tyler.

The only exception is that there's a Drexel St in there. I could never figure out why that's in there when every other street is named after presidents.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

webny99

Quote from: mvak36 on June 13, 2020, 02:35:05 PM
The only exception is that there's a Drexel St in there. I could never figure out why that's in there when every other street is named after presidents.

Future president, maybe?  :-D

formulanone

Quote from: webny99 on June 13, 2020, 05:39:09 PM
Quote from: mvak36 on June 13, 2020, 02:35:05 PM

Future president, maybe?  :-D

I forgot all about that series until my kids were reading them.

Fudge would be about 50 in the present day, and would probably be excoriated by his opponents for swallowing that turtle.

mapman1071

Quote from: Bruce on June 13, 2019, 12:26:42 AM
This neighborhood in Calgary has streets that all use "Martin" at the beginning of their names. Yikes.

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.1176771,-113.9601348,1376m/data=!3m1!1e3

EDIT: Looks like the entire region of Calgary has these naming patterns for each subdivision.
Almost as bad as all the "Peachtree"s in Atlanta

SGwithADD

The Binghamton area has a few of these:

• On the West Side of the city, there is a block named after famous composers and writers: Beethoven, Mendelsohn (sic), Hayden (sic), Haendel (sic), Mozart, Schubert, Goethe, Schiller (in addition to the misspellings, many of these have non-traditional pronunciations, such as BEE-tho-ven)
  • In Endicott, many of the streets are named after Presidents: Fillmore, Harrison, Cleveland, Lincoln, Monroe, Jefferson, Madison, Washington, Garfield, Grant, McKinley, Roosevelt, Adams, Arthur, Jackson, Hayes, Taft, Taylor, Harding, Wilson, Pierce
  • Two areas of the town of Vestal have streets named after colleges: Oxford, Dickinson, Lehigh, Salem, Madison, Duke, Pratt, Amherst, Marshall, Radcliffe, Taylor, Baylor, Drexel, Marietta, Carnegie, Hamilton, Emerson, (the last four of which branch off of Campus Dr), Hartwick, Siena, Belmont, Cambridge, Cornell, Tulane, Princeton, Purdue, Clarkson, Fordham, Colgate, Briarcliff, Dartmouth, Cortland, Harvard
  • In the town of Union, streets named after other cities in upstate New York: Buffalo, Rochester, Auburn, Utica, Syracuse, Elmira

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.