News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Most miles driven in a day

Started by berberry, February 24, 2011, 10:07:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

froggie

2 years ago, the day after my father passed.  About 1,162 miles from DC to Minneapolis.  Needless to say, I was operating on adrenaline most of the trip...

US71

For me, approx 580 miles from south of Lumberton, MS home to Fayetteville, AR.

Pretty much I-59 to Hattiesburg, US 49 to Jackson, I-20 to Tallulah, LA, US 65/I-530 to Little Rock -I-40 to Alma- I-540 to Fayetteville (plus a couple local streets).

I don't do that much anymore because it's very tiring.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Scott5114

The longest one-day session I've done is around 900 miles, when I went up to the Panhandle and back. Towards the end I was forgetting vast swaths of territory, being in El Reno at one point and western Oklahoma City another, with no recollection of Yukon in between the two...
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kurumi

785 miles, part of a move out west from Hartford area to Fort Wayne, Ind. Crossing from PA (I-80, 55 MPH limit back in the day) to OH (65 MPH) was cause for a fist pump.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

74/171FAN

For me at the moment it is just under 200 miles driving to Hampton Roads and back on a cold March Saturday morning, but that will sooner or later get way higher.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

CL

In terms of distance, I have three ties at 430 miles, give or take: Salt Lake to Las Vegas, Los Angeles to Oakland (via 1, 23 and 101), and Oakland to Winnemucca via Tracy on 580 and 205. Lackluster, I know, but any solid driving for more than seven hours is too much for me. You try driving I-80 between Reno and Salt Lake and you'll see that 85 mph for hours on end (through the desolation of northern Nevada) isn't as easy as it sounds.
Infrastructure. The city.

nexus73

24 hours is for pikers...LOL!  In 1988 I drove a 12 hour shift in the cab, waited 4 hours for these Korean fishermen to get themselves together after their boat which served a mother ship had broken down, then drove them to LA from Coos Bay, where I waited another 6 hours to collect the rest of the money from their company, then I drove as far as Modesto before taking a nice snooze in a parking lot.

Honorable mention goes to driving from SE Louisiana to LA with a 45 minute nap in West Texas in one fell swoop in 1999.

Nowadays I can't do that as I got too old to put out that kind of energy but when I used to rock, I sure would roll!  Going on the road was so much fun.  

Rick

US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

jdb1234

For me, probably a 400 mile Mobile-Birmingham-Huntsville-Birmingham trek I made 4 years ago (my dad drove the first 80 miles from Mobile, I then drove all the way home, with a stop in Greenville, dropped my dad off at home, and then drove all the way to Huntsville (actually Madison) then drove back to Birmingham where I arrived around midnight after leaving Mobile middle of the morning).

wriddle082

I think I went just over 1000 miles in a day going from Orlando to Nashville the long way.  Took FL TOLL 429, US 441, and FL 44 out of Orlando for some reason I still haven't determined and hit I-75 at Wildwood.  Then took I-10 west across to the exit that was the furthest east I had previously been to (FL 81), then turned north into Alabama where I took US 331 most of the way towards Montgomery but jumped over to I-65 north once I was close enough.

huskeroadgeek

I didn't drive all of it, but in college I went from Lincoln, NE to Montgomery, AL(1040 miles) in one 24-hour period. It was more of an adventure than just the long distance though. It an included getting a speeding ticket between Lincoln and Nebraska City on NE 2(my brother was driving at that time) and having to bail him out of the Otoe County Courthouse because of previous unpaid speeding tickets. Then we ran out of gas on I-29 N. of St. Joseph-I stayed with the car while my brother took the gas can and started to walk to get gas(fortunately a trucker saw him fairly quickly and picked him up and took him to the next exit). It was below zero windchill at the time too. Then we ran into freezing rain in St. Louis in the middle of the night and snow in Paducah, Ky. after sunrise finally arriving in Montgomery(where it was about 60 degrees) about 24 hours after leaving. The route taken was NE/IA 2, I-29, I-435, I-70, I-270, I-255, I-64, I-57, I-24, I-65, I-85.

Alps

My 1-day record is a little over 1K miles from Sault Ste Marie back here to NJ via northern Ontario, with some driving around Toronto for fun mixed in. Alternatively, I've driven for 21.5 hours with only one stop longer than 5 minutes (dinner); though I wasn't keeping track of mileage, I think it was just under 1K. (Roughly 40-45 mph average, mostly in Delaware)

Bickendan

Toronto-Bemidji, via the northern tip of the UP...
ON 401, QEW, 403, 401, 402, I-69, I-75, M-123, 28, US 41, M-28, US 2

Monroe, LA-Los Angeles, via Jackson and NOLA was a 36 hour haul, with stops (naturally in NOLA) to eat and catch some rest.
I-20, 55, 12, 10, CA 60. Got my 80% clinch of I-10 in the process, though.

corco

QuoteI didn't drive all of it, but in college I went from Lincoln, NE to Montgomery, AL(1040 miles) in one 24-hour period. It was more of an adventure than just the long distance though.

My record with other people (2 others) over one day is Hartland WI to Lincoln NH via South Bend IN, Flint MI, and Montreal. 1,175 miles. I drove from Hartland to South Bend and again from Toronto to Montreal.

On the same trip we also drove straight from Pickerington OH to Broomfield CO- 1,284 miles. I didn't carry my weight that day (I drove most of the day before from NH to Ohio) and only drove from Pickerington to Marshall IL (282).

When I was a pup and we moved west, we drove from Geneva IL to Rock Springs WY (1,177), but I was 8 and didn't drive any of it.

US71

Quote from: corco on March 05, 2011, 08:45:59 AM
QuoteI didn't drive all of it, but in college I went from Lincoln, NE to Montgomery, AL(1040 miles) in one 24-hour period. It was more of an adventure than just the long distance though.

My record with other people (2 others) over one day is Hartland WI to Lincoln NH via South Bend IN, Flint MI, and Montreal. 1,175 miles. I drove from Hartland to South Bend and again from Toronto to Montreal.

On the same trip we also drove straight from Pickerington OH to Broomfield CO- 1,284 miles. I didn't carry my weight that day (I drove most of the day before from NH to Ohio) and only drove from Pickerington to Marshall IL (282).

When I was a pup and we moved west, we drove from Geneva IL to Rock Springs WY (1,177), but I was 8 and didn't drive any of it.

I did that once: there was a vanload of 6 of us who drove non-stop from NW Arkansas to Slippery Rock,  PA for Pennsic War.  Approx 20 hours, counting food and gas stops. We rotated drivers about every 4 hours.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

cjk374

I was regularly driving from Simsboro, LA to Columbia, MO before my mom died....~550 miles.  Before I got married, I could make that drive in under 10 hours w/only 1 stop for food/gas at Batesville, AR. US 167-> Hardy, AR-> US 63-> Columbia.

In college, I made a railfan excursion to Mississippi--over 700 miles.

I also drove to Augusta, GA to visit my sister--about 660 miles in 14 hrs.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

RoadWarrior56

800 miles +- is probably my record for a single day's drive - Evansville IN to Clearwater FL and/or visa versa.

The longest single trip I ever took was Lawrenceville, GA (near Atlanta) to Anchorage, AK....................4,806 miles in 12.5 days.  The only stops more than a night were a half day at Mt. Rushmore and a half day in Edmonton, AB to walk through the West Edmonton Mall.  My daughter spelled my driving from time to time, but I did most of it myself.

Interstate Trav

I drove about 1,400 miles in 24 hours, myself.  I drove from Sothern California to Salt Lake City and back to pick up my sister.  Hardest drive I ever did.  I left at 3:00am Friday morning and got home at 3:00 am on Saturday morning.

Tarkus

I've never actually done over 300 miles that I recall . . . the most I did was exactly 290.0 miles on my Central Oregon roadtrip back in October.  I've actually done above-200 mile trips with quite some regularity, though.  I've done the western outskirts of Portland-to-Eugene and back in one day a bunch (which, depending on what routes you take, is somewhere in the 220-260 mile range), and when I was doing my Master's degree up at Central Washington, I did the Ellensburg-to-western outskirts of Portland drive quite a few times, which is also just a hair over 250. 

xonhulu

Quote from: Tarkus on March 05, 2011, 04:43:32 PM
I've never actually done over 300 miles that I recall . . . the most I did was exactly 290.0 miles on my Central Oregon roadtrip back in October.  I've actually done above-200 mile trips with quite some regularity, though.  I've done the western outskirts of Portland-to-Eugene and back in one day a bunch (which, depending on what routes you take, is somewhere in the 220-260 mile range), and when I was doing my Master's degree up at Central Washington, I did the Ellensburg-to-western outskirts of Portland drive quite a few times, which is also just a hair over 250. 

I soooooo agree with your avatar!

roadfro

The most I've done in one day is about 600 miles from Reno to Portland, with a stop along the way at Crater Lake NP.  Was driving a rented van without cruise control, as me and several other colleagues were on our way to a conference.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

berberry

Quote from: Interstate Trav on March 05, 2011, 02:49:25 PM
I drove about 1,400 miles in 24 hours, myself.  I drove from Sothern California to Salt Lake City and back to pick up my sister.  Hardest drive I ever did.  I left at 3:00am Friday morning and got home at 3:00 am on Saturday morning.

Wow, there've been very few instances of me having even flown that far in a day, let alone driven!  My hat is off, sir, but I damn sure don't envy you.

JREwing78

I had forgotten about a couple long drives my wife made in one day. One was from the eastern Cleveland suburbs to Fancy Gap, VA, and back in one day, a distance of about 870 miles (including the side trip to the Cleveland airport for a rental car).

Another of her drives was from Houghton, MI to Cleveland, a distance of 750 miles.

She is not a roadgeek, but she's done some respectably long-distance drives.

ShawnP

1100 or so from Maine to Jacksonville in 17 hours. I had to get back to get underway for a no notice deployment.

DeaconG

One thousand miles (plus or minus ten miles or so) from Cocoa (Port St. John) to Philadelphia to visit family.  Usually the trip takes anywhere between 12 1/2 to 14 1/2 hours, depending on traffic and weather.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

DTComposer

Last August I went to pick up my wife at Whitefish Mountain Resort (Montana) and drive back to Long Beach. Left at 10:30 AM...meant to drive until I got sleepy, but around 11:00 PM in St. George, figured it was easier (and cheaper) to push through and get home, which we did just after 5:00 AM. 18 hours, 30 minutes for 1355 miles. She slept most of the time, so I drove the whole way.

Also have driven Portland to Long Beach in one sitting (980 miles) a couple of times.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.