News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Highways with bad reputations

Started by golden eagle, February 16, 2012, 08:02:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdb1234

Quote from: golden eagle on February 19, 2012, 10:29:54 PM
What about the sharp curve on I-20 in west Birmingham?

That is actually on the east side of town near the airport, it is known as Deadman's Curve.  I-20 in St Clair County was known as Death Valley because of all the crossover wrecks (most of it has been widened).  I-20/59 between I-459 and Tuscaloosa was also notorious for its crossover wrecks (most of it has also been widened).

Scott5114

Quote from: bugo on February 17, 2012, 02:44:01 AM
Old OK 33 (now "Scenic" (Alternate) US 412 from Chouteau to West Siloam Springs.

"Scenic" is just a polite way of DOTs saying "shitty".
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

formulanone

AAA won't suggest taking US 301 between Waldo and Lawtey in northern Florida, unless you have to drive to Starke, which is (in)-conveniently located between the two. From 65 mph to 35 mph, which the occassional "phantom" 15 mph school zone in between. Hampton (just south of Starke) also annexed a tiny strip of land that includes the traffic light at US 301 and CR 18.

Even the New York Times had an article on the Buford T. Justices down there.

Personally, if you're not paying attention to all the warning signs posted around there, you aren't an attentive driver.

sandiaman

US  666  was  known  as  the Devil's highway,  due  to Biblical  reference  of  the  number "666".  It  has  been renumbered  to US  491.  It  had  a  very  high  number  of  alcohol  related  accidents,  and  still does    despite  the  new    route  number.  McKinley  County  NM  has  the highest  DUI  rate, per  capita,  in the  US.  (where  the  Devil's  Highway  is  loacted)

agentsteel53

Quote from: sandiaman on February 20, 2012, 11:44:19 PM
US  666  was  known  as  the Devil's highway,  due  to Biblical  reference  of  the  number "666".  It  has  been renumbered  to US  491.  It  had  a  very  high  number  of  alcohol  related  accidents,  and  still does    despite  the  new    route  number.  McKinley  County  NM  has  the highest  DUI  rate, per  capita,  in the  US.  (where  the  Devil's  Highway  is  loacted)

idiot superstition.

shoot one in every 100 drunk drivers on the spot.  the problem will resolve itself quickly.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

jwolfer

Quote from: formulanone on February 20, 2012, 10:33:53 PM
AAA won't suggest taking US 301 between Waldo and Lawtey in northern Florida, unless you have to drive to Starke, which is (in)-conveniently located between the two. From 65 mph to 35 mph, which the occassional "phantom" 15 mph school zone in between. Hampton (just south of Starke) also annexed a tiny strip of land that includes the traffic light at US 301 and CR 18.

Even the New York Times had an article on the Buford T. Justices down there.

Personally, if you're not paying attention to all the warning signs posted around there, you aren't an attentive driver.

The Florida DOT did studies and the speed limit now only drops to 40 MPH in Lawtey.  The speed limit is 65 outside of town now.  Waldo like to get folks on SR 24 too going to/from Gainesville... its a short one-way pair that used to have a 25MPH speed limit... after Gator Games etc.  When you drive 301 you see all the local people slow to the speed limit and the PA/NJ/OH etc driver blowing past you at 65-70.  Back in the 1960s my dad and his buddy got pulled over in Lawtey and he almost went to jail for vagrancy... no money after spring break in Ft Lauderdale,,, but his partents wired him some money... ahh the days of the Jim Crow South.  In the next decade Lawtey will be a Jacksonville suburb and I think that will change things somewhat

texaskdog

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 20, 2012, 10:11:47 AM
Old OK 33 (now "Scenic" (Alternate) US 412 from Chouteau to West Siloam Springs.

What I hate is when you plan a trip to go a bit out of the way to go on the dotted route since it is supposed to be "scenic" and then its so boring you could watch paint dry.  Like old route 66 in far west Arizona.

NE2

Quote from: texaskdog on February 21, 2012, 01:13:00 PM

What I hate is when you plan a trip to go a bit out of the way to go on the dotted route since it is supposed to be "scenic" and then its so boring you could watch paint dry.  Like old route 66 in far west Arizona.

This is boring? http://www.flickr.com/photos/meteorry/4360859326/
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

PHLBOS

Quote from: PennDOTFan on February 18, 2012, 12:09:11 PM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on February 17, 2012, 05:31:59 PM
Quote from: PennDOTFan on February 17, 2012, 05:22:21 PM
the super-2 portion of the West Chester By-Pass on US 322 is where Jackass star Ryan Dunn had his fatal car crash.

he had a blood alcohol level of 0.196, and he was estimated to have been doing over 120mph.

can't blame the road for that one.

Yeah that's true. But that fairly congested super-2 between Pottstown Pike and US 322 is still pretty dangerous.
Is it still congested?  One would've thought that after the Exton Bypass (US 30) opened in the late 90s, a lot of the traffic to/from Downingtown would've used that instead.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

The Premier

I-71/75 in Northern Kentucky. Its was known as "Death Hill" because of the downgrades and the s-curve.

Quote from: thenetwork on February 18, 2012, 02:17:31 PM
The Central Interchange in Downtown Akron, OH.

That interchange is almost 60 years old and is still, for the most part, the same as it was in the 1950s.

-  There are two left exit ramps from  I-76 to I-77 South and SR-8 North that have shore deceleration lanes and what seems to be 89.999 degree turn-offs.  If it's not some overturned semi shutting down the ramps, its a car crash into the barrier walls.

-  On the north-south ramps to I-76, there is only one lane for each direction -- especially bad for the 2-3 lanes of I-77 north having to squeeze into the single transition lane to continue onto I-77 via the I-76 multiplex.

-  The interchange itself is crumbling and losing pieces on a regular basis, forcing ODOT to close ramps and lanes until the freshly-chewed bubble gum holding up the new loose concrete hardens.

It is also not uncommon to have a broken guardrail, especially when exiting to SR 8 NB from I-76 west.

The sad part is that this interchange will not be rebuilt anytime in the future. :thumbdown:
Alex P. Dent

agentsteel53

but hey, brand new shields with no state name.  because the state did something!

jake@aaroads.com

formulanone

Some maps have shown Alligator Alley to be scenic, but mostly, it's interesting only once. A visitor from overseas described it to me as "its like being in a Scooby Doo cartoon where you drive down the same stretch of 1/2 mile freeway over and over again passing the same 'road furniture' over and over again.".

bugo

The Cherokee Turnpike is more scenic than Scenic 412.  And it's a much easier drive, making it easier to enjoy the scenery.

brownpelican

Lee Road aka LA 437 just north of Covington, LA.

It's very curvy and many people - especially teens - have ran off the road at high speed and hit either power poles or trees.

NE2

Quote from: bugo on February 21, 2012, 08:07:04 PM
The Cherokee Turnpike is more scenic than Scenic 412.  And it's a much easier drive, making it easier to enjoy the scenery.
I seem to remember that AASHTO actually approved the scenic route on the turnpike, but Oklahoma fucked it up.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

bugo

Quote from: NE2 on February 22, 2012, 05:30:32 AM
Quote from: bugo on February 21, 2012, 08:07:04 PM
I seem to remember that AASHTO actually approved the scenic route on the turnpike, but Oklahoma fucked it up.

ODOT fucking something up?  No way dude.  They are perfect in every way.

Darkchylde

Quote from: brownpelican on February 22, 2012, 12:45:51 AM
Lee Road aka LA 437 just north of Covington, LA.

It's very curvy and many people - especially teens - have ran off the road at high speed and hit either power poles or trees.
Yeah, that's a bad stretch... The Bayou Liberty Road stretch of LA 433 in Slidell may be worse, IMO. Very narrow, overposted at 40(!) and the sightlines absolutely suck.

cpzilliacus

In Montgomery  County, Maryland, Md. 108 is a notoriously dangerous highway, especially between Damascus and Olney (most of it is undivided, 1 lane each way).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cooperrhall

US-23 between I-270 (north) in Columbus and Delaware, OH is is often known for being a pain to drive due to the amount of stop lights and traffic it gets, especially since it is the mainline from Columbus to Toledo and on up into Michigan. Coincidentally, I believe there was a problem with drug trafficking at one point in time along some part of 23 (I think south of Columbus) as well.
- Coop

agentsteel53

Quote from: cooperrhall on March 08, 2012, 01:58:35 PM
Coincidentally, I believe there was a problem with drug trafficking at one point in time along some part of 23 (I think south of Columbus) as well.

there was a problem?  implying they solved it?  correctly, once and for all?  sweet, where along the 23 corridor can I get my legal narcotics?

jake@aaroads.com

cooperrhall

Quote from: agentsteel53 on March 08, 2012, 03:14:17 PM
Coincidentally, I believe there was a problem with drug trafficking at one point in time along some part of 23 (I think south of Columbus) as well.

there was a problem?  implying they solved it?  correctly, once and for all?  sweet, where along the 23 corridor can I get my legal narcotics?

I should really pay attention to the way I phrase things more closely. Anyway, here's a few articles for anyone interested:

http://www2.nbc4i.com/news/2010/aug/08/4/four-oxycontin-busts-two-days-nets-seven-arrests-ar-184148/

and

http://www.waxxtv.com/?p=11389

Haven't looked into it much before now, but I'm sure it doesn't help the highway's reputation any.
- Coop

agentsteel53

Quote from: cooperrhall on March 08, 2012, 04:35:41 PM
Haven't looked into it much before now, but I'm sure it doesn't help the highway's reputation any.

no, it does not.  cops that have nothing better to do than to seize private property instead of investigating actual crime.

jake@aaroads.com

vtk

US-23 between I-270 (north) in Columbus and Delaware, OH is is often known for being a pain to drive due to the amount of stop lights and traffic it gets, especially since it is the mainline from Columbus to Toledo and on up into Michigan.

I drive for a living. I and most of my coworkers avoid that section of US 23, either by US 33&42, or I-71 & US 36, to Delaware (depending on which side of Columbus we're coming from).  The road is also a pain on the north side of Delaware, about up to the test pavement, and there's no way to bypass that section.  Then the test pavement section is annoying because it's essentially an expressway, yet the speed limit is only 55...

All of this is the motivation for my I-171 proposal in Fictional Highways.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: agentsteel53 on March 08, 2012, 03:14:17 PM

My house. I'll be waiting for you.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: vtk on March 08, 2012, 05:23:10 PM
US-23 between I-270 (north) in Columbus and Delaware, OH is is often known for being a pain to drive due to the amount of stop lights and traffic it gets, especially since it is the mainline from Columbus to Toledo and on up into Michigan.

I drive for a living. I and most of my coworkers avoid that section of US 23, either by US 33&42, or I-71 & US 36, to Delaware (depending on which side of Columbus we're coming from).  The road is also a pain on the north side of Delaware, about up to the test pavement, and there's no way to bypass that section.  Then the test pavement section is annoying because it's essentially an expressway, yet the speed limit is only 55…

Why not use Sawmill/Liberty or Flint/Old State Rd/US 36 instead?
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.