News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

2014 Rand McNally Road Atlas

Started by SimMoonXP, March 20, 2012, 01:07:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimMoonXP

Looks like 2013 Rand McNally Road Atlas is coming up soon as about month away. Couple neat new features are: coupons and more cities maps. According to Barnes Nobles website, "Updated U.S. atlas contains maps of every U.S. state and Canadian province, an overview of Mexico, and detailed inset maps of over 350 cities and 20 U.S. national parks. City inset maps were added or expanded in the following state sections: MD, NC, ND, SC and VA. Use the book's scannable tags to point your smartphone to updated road trip content and tools that enhance your travel planning. To download the Microsoft Tag reader, use the web browser on your phone to navigate to randmcnally.com/TAG and click the link provided. Includes coupons for discounts at hotels, restaurants and family attractions so you can save money on your next road trip. Tags keep the offers fresh - scan them with your smartphone to check back for additional deals." http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/2013-gift-road-atlas-rand-mcnally/1108046266?ean=9780528006258&itm=2&usri=2013+rand+mcnally

brownpelican

My guess on the SC city inset expansions is that they added Anderson, Sumter and either Florence or Greenwood.

NE2

Another year, another shitty atlas.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

xonhulu

agentsteel53

Quote from: SimMoonXP on March 20, 2012, 01:07:24 AMMicrosoft Tag

good old Microsoft, ignoring a perfectly established standard (QR codes) and instead building something incompatible with it.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

bugo

Quote from: xonhulu on March 20, 2012, 03:55:36 AM
Cool cover photo, though.

Where was that picture taken?  It looks like it is the upper Great Plains.  It could be Nebraska or the Dakotas.

bugo

Quote from: NE2 on March 20, 2012, 01:25:32 AM

Another year, another atlas I will buy.  I buy a new RMN every year, and I have since 1988 I believe.  It's a yearly tradition for me.  I would eventually like to have a mint condition collection from 1926-present.  I also need to buy the other brand of atlas, the cartography that was used in the National Geographic atlases back in the day.

xonhulu

Quote from: bugo on March 20, 2012, 06:13:53 PM
Where was that picture taken?  It looks like it is the upper Great Plains.  It could be Nebraska or the Dakotas.

It reminded me of roads through the Palouse country in eastern Washington, but it could easily be from Nebraska or the Dakotas.

Alex

Quote from: bugo on March 20, 2012, 06:15:30 PM

Another year, another atlas I will buy.  I buy a new RMN every year, and I have since 1988 I believe.  It's a yearly tradition for me.  I would eventually like to have a mint condition collection from 1926-present.  I also need to buy the other brand of atlas, the cartography that was used in the National Geographic atlases back in the day.

Also had bought or received a RMcN every year from 1985 onward. When the 2009 came out in April, I decided not to buy it and that ended my buying streak of Rand's. I have a 2011 that I use for my lines (roads traveled), but have bought none others since they upped the release time.

The other cartography (such as was used on the 90s Nat. Geo's) was the Geonova base. It was bought out by another company and from what I heard in the map industry, will not be updated going forward.  :-/

agentsteel53

Quote from: xonhulu on March 20, 2012, 09:01:50 PM

It reminded me of roads through the Palouse country in eastern Washington, but it could easily be from Nebraska or the Dakotas.

the image looks mildly manipulated, in the sense that the front phone pole looks way too tall.  so for all we know that hill, barn, and road come from different locations.

really, that hill could be anywhere.  I just drove a road that looked a lot like it: old US-466 just west of Caliente, CA.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

wriddle082

Another year, another atlas I will buy.  I buy a new RMN every year, and I have since 1988 I believe.  It's a yearly tradition for me.  I would eventually like to have a mint condition collection from 1926-present.  I also need to buy the other brand of atlas, the cartography that was used in the National Geographic atlases back in the day.

I'll be buying this one as well.

I think back in '81 or '82, my grandfather on my mom's side gave me my first full-size RMcN.  Little did he know back then that he unleashed a roadgeek upon the world!  Right now, I think I have at least one copy of the '87 or '88 up until now.  These days I usually buy two, since the Wal-Mart version is usually half the price of the standard version.

Quote from: brownpelican on March 20, 2012, 01:23:41 AM
My guess on the SC city inset expansions is that they added Anderson, Sumter and either Florence or Greenwood.

If I were a betting man, I'd say Florence, Anderson, and Rock Hill.

rawmustard

Quote from: agentsteel53 on March 20, 2012, 09:47:34 AM
Quote from: SimMoonXP on March 20, 2012, 01:07:24 AMMicrosoft Tag

good old Microsoft, ignoring a perfectly established standard (QR codes) and instead building something incompatible with it.

Even Gannett wised up and switched to actual QR codes in USA Today.

tdindy88

I remember back in the day when we didn't have these QR or Microsoft box codes things in our atlases. I come for the maps.

Alex

Quote from: tdindy88 on March 21, 2012, 11:05:23 AM
I remember back in the day when we didn't have these QR or Microsoft box codes things in our atlases. I come for the maps.

Touché. And the atlases are no better with them than they were without them.

A scan from my 1991 RMcN for fun, two bases back (three if you count the GIS redo of everything in 2011 that brought back I-170 and added I-278E, I-95E/I-95W, etc.).

exit322

Quote from: Alex on March 21, 2012, 01:50:41 PM

I dunno, those yellow interstate shields in that RMcN version were pretty horrible.  I do enjoy seeing the old exit numbers, though.

hbelkins

Another year, another atlas I will buy.  I buy a new RMN every year, and I have since 1988 I believe.  It's a yearly tradition for me. 

Same here. I will probably buy two at Walmart the first time I see them. I'll put one in the vehicle and take one in the house. They're so inexpensive that it's a worthwhile investment. There's a 2003 RMN in my bathroom right now that is my reading material when I conquer the world and take a seat upon my throne.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alps

A scan from my 1991 RMcN for fun, two bases back (three if you count the GIS redo of everything in 2011 that brought back I-170 and added I-278E, I-95E/I-95W, etc.).

I'd love to hear about the etc. Let's see - I-278E would be the spur of the BQE to head east on GCP, and I-95E/W would have course be in NJ - although the official I-95 routing is NJ's SR 95W, so there's no 95E in the mix at all. (NJTA even acknowledges that the Eastern Spur is not I-95, which is impressive because the Turnpike likes to stand apart from the I-95 designation.)

kurumi

Quote from: hbelkins on March 22, 2012, 02:12:47 PM
There's a 2003 RMN in my bathroom right now that is my reading material when I conquer the world and take a seat upon my throne.

"You know you're a roadgeek when..."
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Alex

Quote from: Steve on March 23, 2012, 12:22:47 AM

I'd love to hear about the etc. Let's see - I-278E would be the spur of the BQE to head east on GCP, and I-95E/W would have course be in NJ - although the official I-95 routing is NJ's SR 95W, so there's no 95E in the mix at all. (NJTA even acknowledges that the Eastern Spur is not I-95, which is impressive because the Turnpike likes to stand apart from the I-95 designation.)

Quite a number of other etc's in the 2011 Rand Thread from the GIS redo:

QuoteIN: [ERROR] U.S. 27 has been once again extended north of Fort Wayne along I-69!!!

QuoteOn the Georgia page, Interstate 285 now travels to downtown Atlanta.
On the Florida page, Florida G1A has been resurrected over Florida 300 to St. Georges Island.

Looking back, it is the Taconic State Parkway shown as 987G (still this way in the 2012).

QuoteLordsburg, NM now has a freeway loop!

hobsini2

I will lay odds that the new inset for ND is Minot.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

elsmere241

I'd like to know why Kennewick-Richland-Pasco doesn't have an inset, while Yakima does.

exit322

Sorry for the bump, but has anyone found the '13 in stores yet?  I haven't bought one in a couple years, so I figure it'll be updated "enough" for me to get this one, and we're going on a trip in a couple weeks.

Chris

Rand McNally added the 2013 edition to their online store:

http://store.randmcnally.com/road-atlas.html

hbelkins

It's mid-April 2012. Isn't the 2013 Rand McNally overdue in Walmart now?  :-D

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

exit322

Quote from: hbelkins on April 12, 2012, 04:00:35 PM
It's mid-April 2012. Isn't the 2013 Rand McNally overdue in Walmart now?  :-D

That's why I rebumped the post.  I was wondering if it was going to be out before I left on vacation (two weeks from today).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.