Do universities still let students live off campus?

Started by bandit957, January 30, 2023, 09:47:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

Is this still allowed? I'm sure small community colleges still allow it (since most don't have dorms), but what about big universities?

When I attended NKU in the 1990s, you were definitely allowed to live off campus, and it didn't matter what your living arrangements were. I think the only way it mattered was in regard to whether you'd pay in-state tuition. Being allowed to live off campus was useful because I already lived only about a mile from the university, so what would be the point in relocating? Since I already lived near the school, why would I want to move onto campus? The University of Cincinnati allowed you to live off campus too.

I don't know if these universities still allow it. Nowadays, it seems like even universities that are much smaller and not even very prestigious or well-known require students to live on campus, especially freshmen.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Bruce

Of course. There's not enough capacity at dorms to handle the influx of students.

Otherwise there wouldn't be so much student housing popping up off-campus in Seattle, for example.

Big John

Where I went to college, had to stay in dorms then dorms were optional.  They gave a long sheet on why and was all nonsense.

Scott5114

When I went to Missouri State, the rule was that freshmen were required to stay in the dorms, but sophomores and up were allowed to live off-campus. I think you were able to get a waiver if your parents lived close enough and you wanted to remain living with them, however. They did have a bunch of BS reasons for it, claiming that students did better academically living in the dorms than off-campus.

I ended up not getting enough credit hours my freshman year to not be still considered a freshman my second year, so I was going to have to stay in the dorms for a second year. That was part of my reason for choosing not to return to Missouri State after that first year. (And then I ended up just not going back to college at all, unfortunately.)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kalvado

Quote from: Big John on January 30, 2023, 09:55:50 PM
Where I went to college, had to stay in dorms then dorms were optional.  They gave a long sheet on why and was all nonsense.
Probably the biggest reason is to keep kids who lived with their parents entire life from getting way out of control. But saying "we don't trust you" to a 18 year old is the best way to start a revolt.
Once the feeling of getting out of parents place wears out and a harsh reality of test and exams is understood - welcome to the next step...

Rothman

The worst: BYU campuses requiring that students only live in "approved" housing, thus creating a small, very overpriced oligarchy.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Scott5114

Quote from: kalvado on January 30, 2023, 10:06:05 PM
Probably the biggest reason is to keep kids who lived with their parents entire life from getting way out of control. But saying "we don't trust you" to a 18 year old is the best way to start a revolt.
Once the feeling of getting out of parents place wears out and a harsh reality of test and exams is understood - welcome to the next step...

I mean, it's not like people can't be out of control in the dorms. Or make friends with someone else that lives off campus (like someone who doesn't go to school) and party with them. Or, once they turn 21, go to a bar and party there.

The only good argument I could see would be that incurring off-campus living expenses increases the likelihood that someone will have to take on a part-time job that interferes with studying.

kalvado

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 30, 2023, 10:12:27 PM
Quote from: kalvado on January 30, 2023, 10:06:05 PM

I mean, it's not like people can't be out of control in the dorms. Or make friends with someone else that lives off campus (like someone who doesn't go to school) and party with them. Or, once they turn 21, go to a bar and party there.

The only good argument I could see would be that incurring off-campus living expenses increases the likelihood that someone will have to take on a part-time job that interferes with studying.
At least local state university has dorms priced well above rentals. No parking passes for freshman limited job opportunities
And it is not about total control, after all most students are legally adults at 18+.

jgb191

I don't see why local students who live within a reasonable commuting distance would be required to live in a dorm, especially when students are always encouraged to save money.  Dorms are expensive to reside even per semester.  I was never required to live in a dorm, but then again my university never had one, and I lived 18 miles away from there.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

bandit957

Another thing universities do now is require students to buy a meal plan. I never had to do this. If I got hungry at school, I'd just go to the cafeteria when I needed it.

Universities have also begun forcing students to buy some sort of insurance. This wasn't required in my day.

Max Rockatansky

Michigan State only allowed my sister to live at home with my Mon or in a dorm she freshman year.  I was doing things the poor man's way in the Maricopa Community Colleges, no dorms there. 

jakeroot

Quote from: bandit957 on January 31, 2023, 12:13:38 AM
Another thing universities do now is require students to buy a meal plan. I never had to do this. If I got hungry at school, I'd just go to the cafeteria when I needed it.

Universities have also begun forcing students to buy some sort of insurance. This wasn't required in my day.

Where exactly are you getting this information? Neither the dorm requirement, meal plan, or insurance rings any bells at all. And I only graduated a year and a half ago.

bandit957

Quote from: jakeroot on January 31, 2023, 02:06:43 AMWhere exactly are you getting this information? Neither the dorm requirement, meal plan, or insurance rings any bells at all. And I only graduated a year and a half ago.

I have read it on regular news sites in recent years, or I know people who have kids starting college who have told me about it.

jakeroot

Quote from: bandit957 on January 31, 2023, 02:08:29 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on January 31, 2023, 02:06:43 AMWhere exactly are you getting this information? Neither the dorm requirement, meal plan, or insurance rings any bells at all. And I only graduated a year and a half ago.

I have read it on regular news sites in recent years, or I know people who have kids starting college who have told me about it.

It's possible some schools require it, but I don't think anything like required on-campus living, meal plans, or insurance is any way the norm.

By the way, what kind of insurance are you referring to?

bandit957

Quote from: jakeroot on January 31, 2023, 02:13:22 AM
Quote from: bandit957 on January 31, 2023, 02:08:29 AM

It's possible some schools require it, but I don't think anything like required on-campus living, meal plans, or insurance is any way the norm.

By the way, what kind of insurance are you referring to?

I think it was some sort of injury insurance.

Scott5114

Quote from: jakeroot on January 31, 2023, 02:06:43 AM

Where exactly are you getting this information? Neither the dorm requirement, meal plan, or insurance rings any bells at all. And I only graduated a year and a half ago.

I mentioned the dorm requirement I was subject to at Missouri State upthread. A meal plan was also mandatory.

I don't remember anything about insurance, but it was 2007, so insurance was a lot different back then.

Ted$8roadFan

In some cities, off-campus housing for students, especially undergrads, is controversial enough that universities are under pressure to build more dorms.

74/171FAN

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 30, 2023, 10:05:12 PM
When I went to Missouri State, the rule was that freshmen were required to stay in the dorms, but sophomores and up were allowed to live off-campus. I think you were able to get a waiver if your parents lived close enough and you wanted to remain living with them, however. They did have a bunch of BS reasons for it, claiming that students did better academically living in the dorms than off-campus.

Virginia Tech was basically the same way.  After freshman year, living on campus was all but impossible unless you got to be a RA.  I am not familiar with the Honors Colleges stuff to make a statement on that.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

1995hoo

Like everything else, these sorts of things all vary from school to school. UVA, for example, requires first-year undergrads (except anyone local to Charlottesville) to live on-Grounds and to buy a meal plan (because the first-year dorms lack kitchens), but after that year a majority of students live off-Grounds.

Duke requires students either to prove that they have medical insurance or else to buy it from the university. (That requirement didn't exist in my day.) I don't remember what their rules for housing are, but over 90 percent of undergrads live in university housing all four years.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Rothman

Quote from: jakeroot on January 31, 2023, 02:06:43 AM

Well, your singular experience must be representative. :D

My kids have moved from campus to campus over their undergraduate years.  At both colleges my daughter has been to so far, there was an on-campus requirement...or you'd be a fool not to (at her current college, on-campus room is included in tuition).  Meal plans were also required.

Not so for my son, who was able to live off-campus at his first college and not have a meal plan.

Neither were required to purchase college health insurance as long as they could prove they were on mine.

But, when I went to college 30 years ago, prior to Obamacare, kids got kicked off their parents' insurance early on (18, I think).  Fun times and one of the many ways Gen X got screwed.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hotdogPi

I went to UMass Lowell. There ws no on campus requirement, and in fact, the university encourages using the city buses so that those who live within 10 miles can commute there.

MIT requires being on campus for freshmen only. At UMass Lowell, I never was a freshman because of my AP credits, but I don't know how it would have worked at MIT if I had gotten in.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

74/171FAN

QuoteBut, when I went to college 30 years ago, prior to Obamacare, kids got kicked off their parents' insurance early on (18, I think).  Fun times and one of the many ways Gen X got screwed.

I think that was the one part of Obamacare that no one considered controversial.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

MATraveler128

At Salem State, where I currently go to school, there is no requirement for students to live on campus. In fact, some people who live in Lynn actually take the bus into Salem to get here.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

Rothman

Quote from: 1 on January 31, 2023, 07:20:41 AM
I went to UMass Lowell. There ws no on campus requirement, and in fact, the university encourages using the city buses so that those who live within 10 miles can commute there.

MIT requires being on campus for freshmen only. At UMass Lowell, I never was a freshman because of my AP credits, but I don't know how it would have worked at MIT if I had gotten in.
Huh.  Wonder if that's a "new" requirement.  When my brother went to MIT, freshmen could start right off in a "frat" (MIT frats aren't real frats :D).

elsmere241

Quote from: Rothman on January 30, 2023, 10:08:01 PM
The worst: BYU campuses requiring that students only live in "approved" housing, thus creating a small, very overpriced oligarchy.

Provo at least has loosened that.  After a full year in the dorms or approved housing, you can live anywhere now.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.