News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Part of overpass on I-95 in NE Philly collapses after tanker fire

Started by Mr. Matté, June 11, 2023, 08:48:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J N Winkler

AIUI, the glass pellets are classified as lightweight fill since they have only 15% of the density of regular soil.  It has been reported that about 30 state DOTs have specs allowing its use in embankments, though I don't know for a fact that this is explicitly as part of permanent construction.

I have myself been wondering how the fill will be dismantled when the time comes to rebuild the center portion of the bridge.  I speculate that they will bring in machinery along I-95 to rip up the wearing surface and excavate the top few feet of the fill.  At some point they should be able to transition to bringing dump trucks in via Cottman Avenue to haul off the fill so that they no longer need to use construction accesses off mainline I-95, which carry the risk of motorists tailgating construction vehicles and ending up where they shouldn't.

I would then expect the excavated fill to be stored and then re-sold for use on other projects.

Another aspect I've been curious about is the fate of the retaining walls at the abutments.  Can they be salvaged?  If not, how will they be rebuilt?
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

bwana39

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 24, 2023, 01:00:17 PM
Quote from: bwana39 on June 24, 2023, 12:17:29 PM
Yes, it is temporary.

My question would seemingly be if reopening the road / ramp passing under were not important, could it be left in place for the long term?  IE how resilient / durable is it? How does it feel to drive across. (I realize asphalt travel lanes are on top of it.)

I would assume it is more expensive than clay / rock  as a filler for a permanently filled elevated road structure.

While it is a material that is made partially from recycled material, is it truly environmentally friendly?

The last question is about demolition. How hard it it going to be to demo this stuff when the time comes?

This is more about the material than this placement per se. I doubt I am the only one who is curious.

At least for the demo part: Shouldn't be that hard, and it's not all that unusual of a project, even in a tight space. Mill off the asphalt. Dig out the fill. Depending where irs from, that fill can probably be recycled and used elsewhere.

I agree with your average fill material. Is it going to be like digging through concrete or like digging through charcoal? I feel really comfortable, it is not going to be like digging up clay / sand or even loose rocks.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

02 Park Ave

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on June 24, 2023, 07:27:15 AM
It's a temporary fix. However, given the immense challenges involved in reconstructing not just a highway, but part of what is arguably the most important highway in the eastern US, it is indeed remarkable that it got done so quickly.

While I-95 does run from Maine to Florida, this constitutes a rather insignificant portion of it.  It is really only of importance to Philadelphia. Though even the intercity busses running between Philadelphia and New York don't even use it. The vast majority of vehicles traveling southbound through the region stay on the New Jersey Turnpike at Exit 6 and go over the Delaware Memorial Bridge rejoining I-95 in Delaware.  The reverse would be true for northbound travelers.

I doubt if any vehicles exiting the Turnpike at Exit 6 actually stay on I-95 non stop all of the way into Delaware.
C-o-H

davewiecking

A few literal screenshots (me pointing my cellphone at the TV which was broadcasting the Today Show Friday morning) showing closeups of what I suppose is truly a gabion wall holding back the lightweight fill. I imagine if they wanted to they could cut some of the metal and the rest of the wall would then fall onto the roadway below so they could scoop it up, but there are probably more efficient ways to do that. Aero Aggregates (or PennDOT) does intend to reuse this elsewhere. For more specifics on the material, check out www.aeroaggna.com and https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/green/lightweight-recycled-glass-pellets-will-be-used-to-fill-in-i-95-collapse-site/3586207/

ilpt4u

MASTERNC

What will be interesting to see is what happens in the next phase once traffic is moved onto the outside bridges when built. Supposedly it will be only two lanes and not three. That will create some major backups, but at least they can reinstate the flow on the detour route to alleviate the traffic.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: MASTERNC on June 24, 2023, 10:08:42 PM
What will be interesting to see is what happens in the next phase once traffic is moved onto the outside bridges when built. Supposedly it will be only two lanes and not three. That will create some major backups, but at least they can reinstate the flow on the detour route to alleviate the traffic.

Why would there only be 2 lanes? The new bridge will consist of the eventual right center lane, right lane and right shoulder.

bwana39

It SHOULD be two lanes + the outside shoulder. SO the same 3-lanes in the temporary configuration.  The old bridges were about 64' between the jersey barriers. Then there was around 8' between them. So lets say 136' from outside to outside. The existing temp bridge is 72' more or less. If they made the new bridges 6' wider, it should be more than enough for 3x11' lanes + Even without widening the footprint, it would be close.

Did the state hwy department say it would be two traffic lanes or "rebuild the outside two lanes"?

jaip

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on June 24, 2023, 02:23:29 PM
Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on June 24, 2023, 07:27:15 AM
It's a temporary fix. However, given the immense challenges involved in reconstructing not just a highway, but part of what is arguably the most important highway in the eastern US, it is indeed remarkable that it got done so quickly.

While I-95 does run from Maine to Florida, this constitutes a rather insignificant portion of it.  It is really only of importance to Philadelphia. Though even the intercity busses running between Philadelphia and New York don't even use it. The vast majority of vehicles traveling southbound through the region stay on the New Jersey Turnpike at Exit 6 and go over the Delaware Memorial Bridge rejoining I-95 in Delaware.  The reverse would be true for northbound travelers.

I doubt if any vehicles exiting the Turnpike at Exit 6 actually stay on I-95 non stop all of the way into Delaware.

Plenty of vehicles do. I commute on I-95 in Philly. I regularly see license plates of vehicles from Maine to Virginia and less frequently Southern states license plates. Majority of the Semi trucks on 95 in Philadelphia constitute long distance interstate traffic. Of course, I have hardly seen any of this traffic in last couple of weeks, credit to multi agency coordination. I expect it to pick back up now that Highway is open.

vdeane

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 24, 2023, 10:42:17 PM

Why would there only be 2 lanes? The new bridge will consist of the eventual right center lane, right lane and right shoulder.
I have to admit, I was wondering how they would have space for three lanes on the outside portion and still have room to remove the pavement, the fill, and especially demolish that temporary retaining wall.  Perhaps only being 2 lanes is to give them that space.  Although that does make one wonder why the current temporary roadway is 3 lanes each way.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

odditude

Quote from: Alps on June 23, 2023, 09:05:43 PM
Quote from: odditude on June 23, 2023, 05:50:54 PM
Quote from: kernals12 on June 23, 2023, 04:01:46 PM
Quote from: kernals12 on June 11, 2023, 10:22:50 AM
They say the bridge will be closed for weeks. But can't they use accelerated bridge construction and replace it in a day or two?

Okay, maybe it wasn't a day or two, but less than two weeks is pretty impressive.

you do realize this is a temporary fix to enable the longer-term temporary fix to allow for the permanent replacement, right?
Less than two weeks is impressive.

not discounting how impressive it is at all; i just wasn't sure kernals12 understood that this is a phased repair, since his previous comments implied he thought the entire job could be completed in a handful of days.

bluecountry

Has the DEMB, 295 from 95 in Wilmington, and the NJTP to exit 6 been more busy due to the 95 damage?

bwana39

Quote from: vdeane on June 25, 2023, 04:34:38 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 24, 2023, 10:42:17 PM

I have to admit, I was wondering how they would have space for three lanes on the outside portion and still have room to remove the pavement, the fill, and especially demolish that temporary retaining wall.  Perhaps only being 2 lanes is to give them that space.  Although that does make one wonder why the current temporary roadway is 3 lanes each way.

It LOOKS like the "Temporary retaining wall" is just a couple of layers of wire mesh. It seems like the new structure would not require ANY offset.  I cannot imagine that the new permanent outside portions will not be wide enough for 3ea  11ft lanes with no shoulder.  (Which by the way is LESS than 2ea 12 foot lanes and a 10' shoulder. )

J N Winkler

Quote from: bwana39 on June 26, 2023, 02:43:56 PMIt LOOKS like the "Temporary retaining wall" is just a couple of layers of wire mesh. It seems like the new structure would not require ANY offset.  I cannot imagine that the new permanent outside portions will not be wide enough for 3ea  11ft lanes with no shoulder.  (Which by the way is LESS than 2ea 12 foot lanes and a 10' shoulder.)

I frankly do not believe the claim that the next phase will have just two traffic lanes in each direction.  I suspect the media organization that is putting that out is misunderstanding whatever PennDOT is telling them.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

jeffandnicole

Quote from: J N Winkler on June 26, 2023, 02:59:53 PM
Quote from: bwana39 on June 26, 2023, 02:43:56 PMIt LOOKS like the "Temporary retaining wall" is just a couple of layers of wire mesh. It seems like the new structure would not require ANY offset.  I cannot imagine that the new permanent outside portions will not be wide enough for 3ea  11ft lanes with no shoulder.  (Which by the way is LESS than 2ea 12 foot lanes and a 10' shoulder.)

I frankly do not believe the claim that the next phase will have just two traffic lanes in each direction.  I suspect the media organization that is putting that out is misunderstanding whatever PennDOT is telling them.

Where is this media claim anyway? I couldn't find it.

MASTERNC

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 26, 2023, 03:05:49 PM

https://www.inquirer.com/news/i95-philadelphia-schedule-construction-reopen-detours-lanes-20230621.html

jeffandnicole

Quote from: MASTERNC on June 27, 2023, 11:25:07 AM

https://www.inquirer.com/news/i95-philadelphia-schedule-construction-reopen-detours-lanes-20230621.html

Thanks.

Could be a misprint or misunderstanding. The graphic below that statement shows 3 lanes available while the temp lanes are deconstructed.

This morning 3 trucks were rolling down 295 in NJ, each with a prefab bridge segment: 2 steel bridge beams with a concrete surface on top. Could they be heading to 95 here? The live view camera is no longer available.  Several other projects in NJ going on also so early could've been for one of those.

J N Winkler

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 27, 2023, 12:12:09 PM
Quote from: MASTERNC on June 27, 2023, 11:25:07 AMhttps://www.inquirer.com/news/i95-philadelphia-schedule-construction-reopen-detours-lanes-20230621.html

Thanks.

Could be a misprint or misunderstanding. The graphic below that statement shows 3 lanes available while the temp lanes are deconstructed.

I agree with this interpretation of the graphic.  Where shoulders are shown, they are shaded, and none of the three lane widths in each direction have shading in the portion that shows the next phase.

This said, I don't know if the illustration actually came from PennDOT.  It has two bylines:  "Source:  PennDot" [sic!] and "Steve Madden/Staff Artist."

QuoteQ.  Do you want A or B?

A.  Yes.

LilianaUwU

I mean, two lanes in each direction would still be better than zero...
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

bwana39

Quote from: LilianaUwU on June 27, 2023, 01:14:49 PM

I think we can interpret "these two lanes" as the outside two lanes and the shoulder. It would be wide enough as I have said for three 11-foot lanes and no shoulder.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: LilianaUwU on June 27, 2023, 01:14:49 PM

It would be a very serious chokepoint though. In the years of construction on 95 in the Philly area, they've only reduced the available lanes to three. For the volume of traffic in the area, two lanes would be a major congestion issue. They would have been better off making the temporary roadway 2 lanes each way and giving themselves enough room for a wider bridge in the first phase.

roadman65

To the east side there is room to build a temporary freeway using the NB on and off ramps along with the grass area to the side. I'm surprised that wasn't considered.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

Quote from: roadman65 on June 27, 2023, 08:32:54 PM
To the east side there is room to build a temporary freeway using the NB on and off ramps along with the grass area to the side. I'm surprised that wasn't considered.

Looking at it, it appears workable.  They could have taken down the jersey barrier and make a temporary crossover in that area.  It would have forced the closure of the ramp from Princeton & Minor Streets though, and reduced access to the reconstruction site.  They probably had numerous ideas on the table and this one could have been an option, but ultimately they went with the fill method.

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.