News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Interstate 11 alignment, though Vegas and points north

Started by swbrotha100, October 16, 2012, 09:51:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sub-Urbanite

roadfro

Quote from: TimQuiQui on February 26, 2019, 05:24:15 PM
Looks like the DOT is getting around to signing I-11 at the I-215 interchange.

But only sort of...

Thanks for sharing this. I'm not in Vegas so I haven't been able to go hunting for evidence of the transition since NDOT updated their log this year. Good to see that the resigning is moving forward.

Quote from: Sub-Urbanite on February 26, 2019, 06:12:07 PM
Those are exceptionally small-looking shields.

Also unusual for NDOT, at least on freeway BGSs, is the lack of cardinal directions with the shields. I somewhat understand it here, due to the horizontal constraints. (NDOT doesn't do cardinal directions above shields, only to the right.)

Glad they replaced the whole sign there. For some reason, these signs didn't age well. They date to circa 2005-2006–even though they face west, other signs of similar vintage seem to be relatively ok.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

sparker

^^^^^^^^^^
Hardly kosher, but NDOT could slap an I-11 shield on the BGS where it's missing -- to the right of the US 95 & 93 shields.  It'd suffice until such time (as is likely) that I-515 will be replaced by I-11.  By that time, it looks like that well-worn BGS will require replacement anyway -- and the shield arrangement can be "normalized". 

djsekani

https://www.reviewjournal.com/traffic/75-new-freeway-signs-to-be-installed-between-henderson-boulder-city-1618473/

Dozens of freeway signs are set for upgrades in the valley.

Work to install 75 new overhead and shoulder freeway signs along stretches of Interstate 515 and the 215 Beltway is set to begin Sunday in Henderson and Boulder City, the Nevada Department of Transportation announced Thursday.

Work will take place Sunday from 9 p.m. until 5 a.m. from Sunday through April 26, NDOT said. On the 215 Beltway work will occur between Stephanie Street and Eastgate Road, while the work on I-515 will take place between Sunset Road and U.S. Highway 93 in Boulder City.

The $160,000 project calls for replacing existing signage along 22 miles of highway, because of aging or damage to signs or the neeed to add new language to reflect the Interstate 11 designation. The largest signs being replaced measure 28 feet wide by 10 feet tall and weigh over 1,000 pounds, NDOT said.

The signage will now read I-11, U.S. 93 and U.S. Highway 95 on a southbound portion of the freeway, between the Henderson spaghetti bowl and Boulder City.

The end of the article diverges into talk about concurrencies, and this little factoid was dropped:

"A route designation isn't necessarily tied to a roadway,"  said Tony Illia, NDOT spokesman. "As such, there can be several overlapping concurrent routes along a shared roadway."

The hierarchical order goes interstate highways, U.S. highways, state highways, and finally county roads. Road network concurrency is very common around the country, Illia said.

"There are examples of eight-way concurrences,"  he said. "For example, Indianapolis, Indiana's 53-mile Interstate 465, also known as the USS Indianapolis Memorial Highway, overlaps with portions of Interstate 74, U.S. Highway 31, U.S. Highway 36, U.S. Highway 40, U.S. Highway 52, U.S. Highway 421, State Road 37 and State Route 67 – a total of eight other routes."

FLRoads

Quote from: djsekani on March 16, 2019, 10:51:29 AM
https://www.reviewjournal.com/traffic/75-new-freeway-signs-to-be-installed-between-henderson-boulder-city-1618473/

Dozens of freeway signs are set for upgrades in the valley.

Work to install 75 new overhead and shoulder freeway signs along stretches of Interstate 515 and the 215 Beltway is set to begin Sunday in Henderson and Boulder City, the Nevada Department of Transportation announced Thursday.

Work will take place Sunday from 9 p.m. until 5 a.m. from Sunday through April 26, NDOT said. On the 215 Beltway work will occur between Stephanie Street and Eastgate Road, while the work on I-515 will take place between Sunset Road and U.S. Highway 93 in Boulder City.

The $160,000 project calls for replacing existing signage along 22 miles of highway, because of aging or damage to signs or the neeed to add new language to reflect the Interstate 11 designation. The largest signs being replaced measure 28 feet wide by 10 feet tall and weigh over 1,000 pounds, NDOT said.

The signage will now read I-11, U.S. 93 and U.S. Highway 95 on a southbound portion of the freeway, between the Henderson spaghetti bowl and Boulder City.
It figures. I just drove through and rephotographed all those signs! Oh well, just gives me a reason to return! lol

Did take my own photos of these on the few times I was through the Henderson Bowl exchange while out there. These are the initial ones I took on March 1st...

My photo of the one previously posted on Feb 26th...

Guide sign at the split for I-515 north and I-11 south...

These are the only two signs so far that have changed at the exchange, so the remaining ones will definitely be a part of this project beginning tonight. I'm surprised that the one at the split wasn't an APL though, given the middle lane departs for both north and southbound traffic...

MantyMadTown

I'm glad that I-11 is getting signed between I-215 and the Spaghetti Bowl.
Forget the I-41 haters

splashflash

Quote from: roadfro on December 18, 2018, 10:06:44 PM
Quote from: sparker on December 18, 2018, 12:51:34 PM
Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on December 18, 2018, 09:22:27 AM
Looking at the map, am I correct in assuming that I-11 could be signed from Corn Creek Road NE of Las Vegas all the way to the Arizona state line, and theoretically a couple of miles into Arizona?

Technically, NDOT's still doing a study regarding the alignment of I-11 through the center of LV Metro: stay on US 95, use the 215 bypass west of town, or construct a new alignment well to the east of development.  Practically, from most indications they've actually selected the direct/95 route; there are spaces on newer BGS's for I-11 shields; there's a contract for signage (although those have been delayed before) for I-11 north of the 215 interchange north of town -- and AFAIK there have been no formal proposals for a "cutoff" between the NW corner of the 215 bypass and US 95 near the NV 157 interchange -- which would render the western bypass a minimally feasible through Interstate corridor.  Odds are that the study is a formality and that I-11 signage will be placed along US 95 by 2020.  As far as any AZ signage is concerned, that may go in a different direction.  I-11 signage probably won't occur, at least on the stretch NW of Kingman, until (a) the Kingman bypass/connector is let and under construction, and (b) work commences on upgrading/converting US 93 to Interstate standards along that corridor segment.
Theoretically, assuming NDOT were to choose the US 95 alignment through Vegas, then you could see I-11 signed that far. Practically, I don't think NDOT would sign it any further north than the NW 215 interchange in the short term, and I don't know that it would be signed any further south than the Hoover Dam Bypass in Arizona until other improvements happen

Actually, that signage project was for I-515 south of the Henderson Spaghetti Bowl 215 interchange. It was in the STIP for 2017 or 2018, but I don't think NDOT ever put that out to bid...

Perhaps NDOT is looking to widen US93/I-515 North of the I-215 interchange, and once complete will then designate it I-11?  The local news...
https://news3lv.com/news/local/video-vault-a-major-highway-project-arrives-in-the-las-vegas-valley
With Project Neon finally winding down, where will the next massive project involving eminent domain on a large scale take place?

It might be on an alignment that will give long-timers a sense of déjà vu. That's if the Nevada Department of Transportation finally gets around to widening the east leg of US95, also known as I-515.

An aerial view of the 515 just south of Boulder Highway is very different today than 35 years ago, when a swath of land had been cleared and shaped, but not yet paved.

At the time, what was known as the "Oran K. Gragson Expressway" and ran only from Rainbow to Las Vegas Boulevard.

"The 20-year plan is that this pavement will be extended to take you quickly to Boulder City," reported News 3's Lynette Taylor on December 31, 1981. "In the more immediate future, the plan is to extend this road through to the eastern part of the valley. And work is already underway."

Then as now, the price of progress included collecting right-of-way. Not all homeowners wanted to sell.

"I'm standing in just about the westbound lane of it," said east valley homeowner Russ Driver in early 1982. "I found out after we did a lot of work to the property and so on much to our amazement."

The prospect of a new freeway also didn't sit well with some Boulder Highway business owners, who would suddenly see a lot less traffic.

"We don't know how we battle it," sighed a shopkeeper. "But for the meantime, we think it is going to hurt the business."

There's always a downside, but many drivers, as well as politicians, were pleased to see the new segments opening one by one.

"All right. One, two three," said Nevada Governor Richard Bryan on May 23, 1986, as he cut the ribbon on the new segment from Charleston to Flamingo. "Congratulations. Done. Forty-three million dollars' worth."

Some homeowners had been trying to stop the project in the courts, but the freeway progress continued.

"We really don't know what to do at this point," said Driver following a judge's ruling. "Because we haven't had the chance to really study what he said."

In fact, their efforts came to naught.

The final segment of I-515 from Lake Mead Drive [now Lake Mead Parkway] to Wagonwheel Drive opened in 1993.

Over a decade ago, a widening project was in the planning for I-515, including more lanes and partial interchanges. However, with the economic downturn in late 2008, those plans were set aside. No timeline has been announced for reviving them.

EDIT: Added quotes around copied material. –Roadfro

roadfro

MOD NOTE: Since my post on 3/18/19 about the I-11 control city has sparked a few pages of related and divergent replies, I've moved the resulting discussion to a dedicated thread: I-515/I-11 Control City discussion 
–Roadfro
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

splashflash

Nevada gets $9.8M in grants for Las Vegas bridge improvements

https://www.reviewjournal.com/news/politics-and-government/nevada/nevada-gets-9-8m-in-grants-for-las-vegas-bridge-improvements-1837217/

The money going to Nevada will be used to improve two U.S. 95 overpasses, at Desert Inn Road and at Eastern Avenue.

"The Desert Inn crossing has a poor condition bridge deck, while Eastern Avenue's superstructure remains in poor shape,"  Illia said. "However, both bridges are still repairable due to previous infrastructure investments. The department dedicated about $12 million toward bridge preservation during fiscal years 2017-18."

The Desert Inn bridge averages more than 150,000 vehicles per day, while the Eastern Avenue crossing sees more than 130,000 vehicles per day, according to the department.
The bridges are crucial because the highway is one of three candidates for the future Interstate 11 corridor through the Las Vegas Valley, Illia said.

kdk

I drove 95 from Reno to Las Vegas this past week and noticed that with the near completion of the widening/improvements of 95 up to urban freeway standards north and west of Durango now, the "future I-11" signs are now up on this portion of the freeway.  That's the only ones I have found outside of the US 93 corridors in Arizona.

sparker

Quote from: kdk on September 23, 2019, 07:05:07 PM
I drove 95 from Reno to Las Vegas this past week and noticed that with the near completion of the widening/improvements of 95 up to urban freeway standards north and west of Durango now, the "future I-11" signs are now up on this portion of the freeway.  That's the only ones I have found outside of the US 93 corridors in Arizona.

Since the US 95/North Durango interchange is north of the 215 loop, that signage indicates that the formal alignment decision regarding I-11 through Las Vegas itself has yet to be made -- but it does seem to preclude -- if the west 215 loop is indeed selected for the alignment -- that a northward "cutoff" from the loop's NW corner to US 95 has been eliminated as a routing option and that a "backward angle" connector/flyover within the cleared 95/215 interchange area would form the connection.   Nevertheless, I'd still place my money on an alignment directly up US 95 through the Spaghetti Bowl!     

roadfro

Quote from: sparker on September 23, 2019, 08:13:44 PM

Since the US 95/North Durango interchange is north of the 215 loop, that signage indicates that the formal alignment decision regarding I-11 through Las Vegas itself has yet to be made -- but it does seem to preclude -- if the west 215 loop is indeed selected for the alignment -- that a northward "cutoff" from the loop's NW corner to US 95 has been eliminated as a routing option and that a "backward angle" connector/flyover within the cleared 95/215 interchange area would form the connection.   Nevertheless, I'd still place my money on an alignment directly up US 95 through the Spaghetti Bowl!     

Deepen being on the location of the signs, it might not really be indicative of anything. My hunch is that these "future I-11" signs were installed as part of the SR 157/Kyle Canyon interchange project (ISTR plans for that project will also have some green-out over I-11 shields). If so, that interchange is around the spot where concept maps show the I-11 western option's connector would tie in to US 95.

Since I'm currently in Vegas for work, I might get a chance to go take a look here later this week...

ClassicHasClass

We'll be up there the weekend after next. Should be interesting to compare, since I haven't been that way in a couple years (I-11 was just barely a thing at the time).

kdk

Quote from: roadfro on September 23, 2019, 08:39:45 PM

Deepen being on the location of the signs, it might not really be indicative of anything. My hunch is that these "future I-11" signs were installed as part of the SR 157/Kyle Canyon interchange project (ISTR plans for that project will also have some green-out over I-11 shields). If so, that interchange is around the spot where concept maps show the I-11 western option's connector would tie in to US 95.

Since I'm currently in Vegas for work, I might get a chance to go take a look here later this week...

I was heading southbound into Las Vegas from Reno, so was near the Kyle Canyon interchange.  I didn't see any south of the construction area for the 215/95 Interchange though.

Bobby5280

There is relatively new imagery (5/2/2019) in Google Earth on the far NW side of Las Vegas, covering the Kyle Canyon Interchange with US-95. Pretty creative looking DDI.

roadfro

Quote from: kdk on September 24, 2019, 03:10:28 PM
Quote from: roadfro on September 23, 2019, 08:39:45 PM

I was heading southbound into Las Vegas from Reno, so was near the Kyle Canyon interchange.  I didn't see any south of the construction area for the 215/95 Interchange though.
I was able to go take a look. There is a "Future I-11 Corridor" sign on southbound US 95, adjacent to the Skye Canyon Park off ramp (attached via Tapatalk). There is another one northbound–can't recall if it was just past the Durango exit or just past Skye Canyon Park. I didn't see any others in the area (I drove all the way to Snow Mountain to check)

I'm very certain these were installed as part of the Kyle Canyon interchange project, as that project also included work on the mainline.

I don't think these signs give any indication of which Vegas alignment option NDOT is leaning toward for I-11.

sparker

^^^^^^^^^^
The only thing that the "future I-11" signage indicates is that NDOT is reasonably serious about extending that route northwest out of the LV metro region.  Wouldn't at all be surprised to see additional similar signage on US 95 at least out to the end of the divided highway at Mercury deployed in relatively short order. 

Sub-Urbanite

Let's all keep in mind that NDOT construction contracts for the Kyle Canyon and 215 interchanges both had I-11 shields on the BGSes, with a green cover-up over the shield.

The decision has been baked enough that they're including it in contracts.

splashflash

From the Las Vegas Sun:

https://m.lasvegassun.com/news/2019/oct/15/next-steps-toward-i-11-environmental-studies-defin/

The environmental assessment in Nevada, which is expected to take three years to develop and cost $4.75 million, is focused on the best route to connect U.S. 93 north of Nevada's border with Arizona to the Kyle Canyon interchange on U.S. 95 in northwest Clark County. The study will consider issues including safety, infrastructure condition, traffic congestion, freigh­­t movement, economic vitality and environmental sustainability, Illia said in an email.

The selected route will likely create economic opportunities, Illia said.

"Wherever infrastructure goes, development usually follows and investment follows,"  he said.

There are three preliminary routes for the interstate to continue throughout the Las Vegas Valley – attaching to the Las Vegas Beltway, continuing onto Interstate 515/U.S. 95 or building a new eastern connection to the existing I-11.

Great Lakes Roads

US 89

QuoteFirst New Interstate in 40 Years!

Have they not heard of I-99 or the new I-69s? Hell, even I-215 in the same state only dates back to the 90s.

MantyMadTown

Quote from: US 89 on December 04, 2019, 11:03:56 PM
QuoteFirst New Interstate in 40 Years!

Have they not heard of I-99 or the new I-69s? Hell, even I-215 in the same state only dates back to the 90s.

Road Guy Rob is specifically talking about the western part of the country. As for auxiliary interstates, I guess he didn't think those counted.
Forget the I-41 haters

Plutonic Panda

Would a 3DI count though? It wouldn't exist without a 2DI so it makes sense.

vdeane

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on December 05, 2019, 03:31:03 AM
Would a 3DI count though? It wouldn't exist without a 2DI so it makes sense.
It would still be a new interstate highway.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

roadwaywiz95

Our next installment in the new *weekly* live broadcast (over on 'roadwaywiz') featuring AARoads Forum members will be this comprehensive Webinar introduction to the freeways of Las Vegas & vicinity. The event will kick off at 6 PM ET and will feature remote contributions from members of this forum. We look forward to seeing you there!

Clinched Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/roadwaywiz.gif
Clinched Interstates & Other Highways: https://travelmapping.net/shields/clinched.php?units=miles&u=roadwaywiz

@roadwaywiz on YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Spreadshirt, and Discord

Also at http://www.gribblenation.org/

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.