states which still issue small route shields

Started by agentsteel53, March 28, 2013, 02:17:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agentsteel53

"small" being less than 24" along at least one dimension.

as far as I know, California is the only one.  they intermittently issue 21x18 interstate shields, as it is still part of the state MUTCD (last revised 1963 to reflect federal 1961 standard).

Virginia no longer places 16" cutouts.

I believe Maine no longer has 24x16 state route markers.

Oregon - still issuing 18x18 shields at T-junctions?

anywhere else?  there's gotta be one I'm overlooking.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Ian

Maine actually still loves to use the small 18"x18" (24"x18" for 3-digit routes) whenever they put up shields in small towns and less traveled roads. Here's a newer US 1/I-295 assembly with mini-shields in Yarmouth.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

agentsteel53

not only is that 18x18, but that looks to be a '57 spec I-295 shield.  can you get us a close-up of it?

jake@aaroads.com

Ian

Quote from: agentsteel53 on March 28, 2013, 02:49:54 PM
not only is that 18x18, but that looks to be a '57 spec I-295 shield.  can you get us a close-up of it?

I can when I go up there again in July.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Mapmikey

Quote from: agentsteel53 on March 28, 2013, 02:17:08 PM
"small" being less than 24" along at least one dimension.

Virginia no longer places 16" cutouts.

Virginia uses shields that are only slightly bigger than the cutouts they replaced in many locations of District 7 (Culpeper district) and District 8 (much of Shenandoah Valley)

Mapmikey

corco

Aren't Nevada's typical rural state highway shields 18x18?

xonhulu

Quote from: agentsteel53 on March 28, 2013, 02:17:08 PM
Oregon - still issuing 18x18 shields at T-junctions?

That one's actually been gone for a couple years; unfortunately, I don't seem to have a pic of the replacement.  But there are still some 18x18's floating around here.  I doubt any of them are new.

J N Winkler

If you are after guide-sign markers as well, there are still a few states which use 18" shields fairly extensively--Nebraska uses them on junction diagrammatics, for example.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

agentsteel53

Quote from: xonhulu on March 28, 2013, 03:42:17 PM

That one's actually been gone for a couple years; unfortunately, I don't seem to have a pic of the replacement.  But there are still some 18x18's floating around here.  I doubt any of them are new.

I don't imagine any of them being new... but they were certainly placed, well into the 2000s I believe.  they date to 1974 at the earliest, IIRC, as that is when Oregon implemented the 1971 MUTCD.

jake@aaroads.com

agentsteel53

Quote from: J N Winkler on March 28, 2013, 04:00:47 PM
If you are after guide-sign markers as well, there are still a few states which use 18" shields fairly extensively--Nebraska uses them on junction diagrammatics, for example.

nope, just independent-mount.  guide sign shields get very, very small.  I know of a CA-67 shield on a sign in my neighborhood where the sign itself is about 36x36 and the shield can't be more than 12x12. 

jake@aaroads.com

agentsteel53

Quote from: corco on March 28, 2013, 03:23:39 PM
Aren't Nevada's typical rural state highway shields 18x18?
[163]
[319]

typical Nevada shields are 24x24. 

that 163 may be 18x18.  at least, if the post has holes 1" apart then that shield is significantly less than 24 holes tall.  the 319 is 24x24, using the same measurement technique.

I'd never seen an 18" shield in Nevada - I'll have to photograph that 163.  I do not believe it is a typical issue.  based on the size, and the fact that the state outline is different, I'd say it's a contractor sign.  in any case, it is a great find!

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

Quote from: agentsteel53 on March 28, 2013, 02:49:54 PM
Am I allowed to interject here?

So, yeah, Maine has a lot of those smaller signs. VA also posts small signs where secondary routes hit primary state or US routes. Definitely smaller than 24x24.

roadfro

Quote from: agentsteel53 on March 28, 2013, 04:15:50 PM
I'd never seen an 18" shield in Nevada - I'll have to photograph that 163.  I do not believe it is a typical issue.  based on the size, and the fact that the state outline is different, I'd say it's a contractor sign.  in any case, it is a great find!

Ditto this.

That 163 shield definitely is a bit of a monstrosity. The proportions look closer to what had been used on overhead guide signs for a short time (which had the proportions of the state outline distorted to fit larger numbers) with the Nevada box just tacked on.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Steve on March 28, 2013, 06:40:47 PM

[1 and 295]
So, yeah, Maine has a lot of those smaller signs. VA also posts small signs where secondary routes hit primary state or US routes. Definitely smaller than 24x24.

wow.  such a dead-perfect 1957-spec I-295 shield, and then the 1 looks like Baby's First Traffic Control Device.

jake@aaroads.com

nexus73

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 03, 2013, 12:20:39 PM
Quote from: Steve on March 28, 2013, 06:40:47 PM

[1 and 295]

wow.  such a dead-perfect 1957-spec I-295 shield, and then the 1 looks like Baby's First Traffic Control Device.

That '57-spec I-295 is gorgeous.  Somewhere along the way we lost our way...LOL!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

thenetwork

Ohio still seems to use them, but only when they denote DETOUR routes along other state or US highways.

ctsignguy

Quote from: thenetwork on April 03, 2013, 01:28:05 PM
Ohio still seems to use them, but only when they denote DETOUR routes along other state or US highways.

Usually those are smaller signs that the localities use for detours for special occasions...i got one of my 18x18 Ohio markers from a small city that had a small stash of them for detouring traffic around the local festival
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

sp_redelectric

Nearly every single Oregon 10 route shield in Beaverton is a small 18x18 panel.  On the signal poles at Hall and Watson, and several standalone shields.  There are some 24x24s at Murray, and at Scholls Ferry Road.

On Oregon 210 there are several small 18x18 panels.

I can't think of any surviving ones on 99W or 18, believe any that existed have been replaced.  I believe another common installation for them would be at bridges.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.