News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Maryland

Started by Alps, May 22, 2011, 12:10:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunty2022

I got a picture of the "Sacramento Ca 3073"  sign at US 50's east end. I took an entire walk from my hotel to get it. It was nighttime, so it was a bit blurry. I'll be back there tomorrow (probably in the morning) to grab another photo of the sign, on daylight.

After a full day in Ocean City, I see why people love it a lot. It is quite a good place.
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

elsmere241

Quote from: Hunty2022 on August 10, 2023, 11:08:04 PM
After a full day in Ocean City, I see why people love it a lot. It is quite a good place.

When my stepmother saw it for the first time, she said it reminded her of Las Vegas.

Dough4872

Quote from: elsmere241 on August 11, 2023, 09:08:23 AM

When my stepmother saw it for the first time, she said it reminded her of Las Vegas.

I agree, OCMD is the best beach town in the Mid-Atlantic, nice beaches, nice boardwalk, and a lot to do. It's pretty much a cross between the Jersey Shore and Myrtle Beach.

Hunty2022

Quote from: Dough4872 on August 11, 2023, 09:11:34 AM

I agree, OCMD is the best beach town in the Mid-Atlantic, nice beaches, nice boardwalk, and a lot to do. It's pretty much a cross between the Jersey Shore and Myrtle Beach.

I'm not used to the stores actually being on the boardwalk, since I always went to Virginia Beach, where most of the stores are on Atlantic Avenue. I'm also not used to some of the stores having garage doors, the first time I saw them, it gave me some Los Angeles vibes (I have no idea if LA has the garage door stores).
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

Dough4872

Quote from: Hunty2022 on August 11, 2023, 12:30:51 PM
Quote from: Dough4872 on August 11, 2023, 09:11:34 AM

I'm not used to the stores actually being on the boardwalk, since I always went to Virginia Beach, where most of the stores are on Atlantic Avenue. I'm also not used to some of the stores having garage doors, the first time I saw them, it gave me some Los Angeles vibes (I have no idea if LA has the garage door stores).

Stores being on the boardwalk and garage doors are common at the Jersey Shore. Also the fact OCMD has a pier with amusement rides draws similarities to the Jersey Shore.

Rothman

My only issue with Ocean City is that it seems to be the only place DCers know where to vacation in the summertime, jamming up US 50 every weekend.  Otherwise, it's a fun place.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

froggie

Plenty of them clog up our roads up here...

Rothman

Quote from: froggie on August 12, 2023, 08:27:12 AM
Plenty of them clog up our roads up here...
Heh.  When I worked in DC, I couldn't believe the number of co-workers I had that would consider nowhere else for vacation than Ocean City, whether working at a law firm or at a university.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Dough4872

Quote from: Rothman on August 12, 2023, 07:24:07 AM
My only issue with Ocean City is that it seems to be the only place DCers know where to vacation in the summertime, jamming up US 50 every weekend.  Otherwise, it's a fun place.

Rehoboth Beach is also popular, see a lot of DC plates there, along with MD and VA. That's why it's called The Nation's Summer Capital. But yes still have to jam up US 50 to reach the Delaware Beaches as well.

epzik8

More from 152 and 95 today. New asphalt and sound barrier are coming along northbound on 95.

From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

MASTERNC

Definitely disappointed the forested median north of White Marsh is gone, but should have figured that would be the easiest way to build the ETLs for that stretch

TheOneKEA

I'm disappointed too and not at all convinced that it was the best course of action. It was certainly the easiest, since the earthworks needed to grade the outside of the northbound carriageway would have been far more extensive and expensive. The location of the sound wall on the northbound side below the Big Gunpowder River shows the extent of the ROW on that side, and I wish that the widening had occurred on that side instead.

I would be interested to know if it was argued that retaining the larger forest buffer outside the northbound carriageway was more ecologically sound than retaining the narrow median as-is.

davewiecking

https://bit.ly/MDOTSHA-US50-Kent-Island-TMS

On WB US-50 approaching the Bay Bridge, MDoT trying a ramp management plan similar to what's been in effect eastbound for a few months. Serious backtracking required for locals the next few weekends.

cockroachking

Quote from: davewiecking on September 18, 2023, 07:53:06 PM

On WB US-50 approaching the Bay Bridge, MDoT trying a ramp management plan similar to what's been in effect eastbound for a few months. Serious backtracking required for locals the next few weekends.
I understand why SHA is piloting this, but I would be having a fit if I lived anywhere along MD-8, for example. Not sure why they would want to screw over the locals like that.

jmacswimmer

Quote from: cockroachking on September 19, 2023, 01:25:56 AM
Quote from: davewiecking on September 18, 2023, 07:53:06 PM

I understand why SHA is piloting this, but I would be having a fit if I lived anywhere along MD-8, for example. Not sure why they would want to screw over the locals like that.

Unfortunately things have reached the point where locals on both sides of the bridge are screwed either way. The side roads off US 50 on either side of the bridge get just as congested as the mainline due to traffic attempting to sidestep congestion up to the final onramp before the bridge. This has been a known problem for years based off these unique "BAY BRIDGE BOUND" signs along US 50 & US 301, but I believe these recent pilots were the result of enough complaints from locals about bailout traffic clogging up the local streets combined with emergency response concerns on Kent Island in particular.

It certainly isn't an ideal solution, but it's about the only way to keep the local streets 100% clear of bailout traffic. It'll be interesting to see what SHA concludes from these pilots and if they decide to implement anything permanently for next summer. I attempted to peek at Google traffic along eastbound US 50 a couple times when exits 30 & 32 were closed, and it seemed like traffic would alternate between light red & orange along this stretch rather than the dark red it would likely have been otherwise. If anything, it seemed like the primary bottleneck was pushed back to the MD 2 interchange at exit 27.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

froggie

An associate of mine lives on Kent Island.  She's not a fan.  And apparently it's causing different congestion problems along MD 18.

Rothman

Quote from: froggie on September 19, 2023, 10:03:00 AM
An associate of mine lives on Kent Island.  She's not a fan.  And apparently it's causing different congestion problems along MD 18.
Oof.  I just saw the link.  I understand the issue, but the solution...doesn't look like one.

cockroachking

Quote from: Rothman on September 19, 2023, 12:00:09 PM
Quote from: froggie on September 19, 2023, 10:03:00 AM
Oof.  I just saw the link.  I understand the issue, but the solution...doesn't look like one.
Yeah, that's pretty much what I was thinking: Let's make MD-18 EB bad instead of MD-18 WB.

MASTERNC

FYI, if anyone wants to take a survey about proposed work zone changes as a result of the Lt. Governor's work group, here is the link.  Note the suggestions include unmanned speed cameras in more work zones, more speed cameras in long work zones, and higher fines.

https://zerodeathsmd.gov/wzsurvey/

FLAVORTOWN

Did Maryland ever consider a numbered county road system in the past? Just curious.

jmacswimmer

Quote from: MASTERNC on September 24, 2023, 03:51:54 PM
FYI, if anyone wants to take a survey about proposed work zone changes as a result of the Lt. Governor's work group, here is the link.  Note the suggestions include unmanned speed cameras in more work zones, more speed cameras in long work zones, and higher fines.

On a related note: A press release was issued last week regarding the next phase* of the I-695 TSMO project, and the release is very focused on work zone safety and traffic calming measures that are being implemented with this phase. The primary measures include automated speed enforcement, reducing the speed limit by 10 mph only during active work hours, and closing the left lane to provide an additional buffer on top of the concrete barrier against the left lane (which I note has been gradually placed over the past few weeks).

*From I-795 to I-83 - the initial phase is still ongoing from I-70 to I-795 and is where the work zone crash in March occurred

Full release here for anyone interested: https://www.roads.maryland.gov/mdotsha/pages/pressreleasedetails.aspx?newsId=4801&PageId=818

Meanwhile, changes in leadership at MDOT SHA & MDTA occurred very quietly back in August (I only realized myself a few weeks ago): The previous SHA administrator departed, the previous MDTA executive director became the new SHA administrator in a lateral move, and the previous MDTA COO was promoted to MDTA executive director.

https://www.mdot.maryland.gov/tso/pages/newsroomdetails.aspx?newsId=697&PageId=38
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

Mapmikey

Quote from: FLAVORTOWN on September 29, 2023, 11:03:07 PM
Did Maryland ever consider a numbered county road system in the past? Just curious.

Maryland does have numbered county roads.  They don't post them or seem to have them on county maps.  But they do show up on municipal maps and are shown in the route logs as points along state highways.

MASTERNC

Quote from: jmacswimmer on October 03, 2023, 11:44:58 AM
Quote from: MASTERNC on September 24, 2023, 03:51:54 PM

On a related note: A press release was issued last week regarding the next phase* of the I-695 TSMO project, and the release is very focused on work zone safety and traffic calming measures that are being implemented with this phase. The primary measures include automated speed enforcement, reducing the speed limit by 10 mph only during active work hours, and closing the left lane to provide an additional buffer on top of the concrete barrier against the left lane (which I note has been gradually placed over the past few weeks).

*From I-795 to I-83 - the initial phase is still ongoing from I-70 to I-795 and is where the work zone crash in March occurred

Full release here for anyone interested: https://www.roads.maryland.gov/mdotsha/pages/pressreleasedetails.aspx?newsId=4801&PageId=818

Meanwhile, changes in leadership at MDOT SHA & MDTA occurred very quietly back in August (I only realized myself a few weeks ago): The previous SHA administrator departed, the previous MDTA executive director became the new SHA administrator in a lateral move, and the previous MDTA COO was promoted to MDTA executive director.

https://www.mdot.maryland.gov/tso/pages/newsroomdetails.aspx?newsId=697&PageId=38

Wonder if this means they are using VSL signs or if they are just manually placing signs before and after every shift

ixnay

Quote from: Mapmikey on October 03, 2023, 12:43:02 PM
Quote from: FLAVORTOWN on September 29, 2023, 11:03:07 PM

Maryland does have numbered county roads.  They don't post them or seem to have them on county maps.  But they do show up on municipal maps and are shown in the route logs as points along state highways.

Interesting maps and lists.  Those roads could use those blue and gold pentagonal signs or something similar to Virginia's.

How do I access those maps from the homepage of https://www.roads.maryland.gov/pages/home.aspx ?  What do I mouse over?

EDIT:  Nevermind, the search engine on the home page is my best friend. [blush]

jmacswimmer

Quote from: MASTERNC on October 03, 2023, 08:22:48 PM
Quote from: jmacswimmer on October 03, 2023, 11:44:58 AM

Wonder if this means they are using VSL signs or if they are just manually placing signs before and after every shift

Confirmed earlier this morning while passing thru that it's VSL signs (which might be a first for Maryland, if I'm not mistaken):

"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.