Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: jakeroot on September 03, 2020, 12:25:49 AM
Does anyone know why, at the entrance to the Harano Tunnels along the H3 Freeway on Oahu, the overhead gantry has two-way traffic warning signs facing away from the travel direction?

See here on maps: "TWO-WAY TRAFFIC"

There are approximately three billion signs prior to this point indicating "WRONG WAY" or "GO BACK" or "DO NO ENTER", so I'm confused why after all of that, they'd grant you the satisfaction of a two-way traffic warning sign.

I see a light-up lane use sign at the top of the structure.  Doesn't that indicate that head-to-head traffic is at least a possibility?  I assume it's for when one tunnel has to close.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

STLmapboy

Does anyone know why, at the entrance to the Harano Tunnels along the H3 Freeway on Oahu, the overhead gantry has two-way traffic warning signs facing away from the travel direction?

There are approximately three billion signs prior to this point indicating "WRONG WAY" or "GO BACK" or "DO NO ENTER", so I'm confused why after all of that, they'd grant you the satisfaction of a two-way traffic warning sign.

Kinda off-topic; I know it's a rainforest-like environment, but I find it funny how most signs on H3 are slightly covered in growth or greenery.
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

STLmapboy

Missouri>>>>>Illinois

thefraze_1020

Quote from: jakeroot on September 02, 2020, 09:16:50 PM
I have no idea what this sign on WA-16 was trying to read:

"MILE POST 7.28 AHEAD EQUALS 5.05 BACK"

An important note is that WA-16 is weird because of the mileage taking a leap on either side of the Tacoma Narrows Bridge. I suppose this sign is meant to indicate that the mile posts have suddenly decreased substantially after crossing from Gig Harbor into Tacoma. Exit 8, just on the other side of the bridge, is only about a 1.5 miles from Exit 4, the immediate exit on the Tacoma side, but these both align with mileposts along the highway. I think WA-16 ended up being shorter in Tacoma than expected, hence the missing mileage.

This is probably due to the fact that originally WA-16 used surface streets and went into downtown Tacoma, then turned south and ended where Pacific Ave crossed I-5.

Later, after 1973 when the Nalley Valley Viaduct was opened to traffic, WA-16 still used 6th Ave approaching the bridge.
Alright, this is how it's gonna be!

jakeroot

Quote from: kphoger on September 03, 2020, 09:37:31 AM

I see a light-up lane use sign at the top of the structure.  Doesn't that indicate that head-to-head traffic is at least a possibility?  I assume it's for when one tunnel has to close.

Yes, very good point. There are other lane use matrix displays along the freeway, such as here.

I guess I'm not used to seeing that warning sign used unless it's a constant thing. I think, if the H3 were built today, that sign would either be foldable or digital.

jakeroot

Quote from: STLmapboy on September 03, 2020, 09:56:45 AM

Kinda off-topic; I know it's a rainforest-like environment, but I find it funny how most signs on H3 are slightly covered in growth or greenery.

Indeed, they are all decidedly a bit disgusting :-D. It does add a lot of character, in my opinion.

When you combine all this with the tunnel portals themselves (very brutalist design), the whole H3 experience is very cinematic:

jakeroot

Quote from: thefraze_1020 on September 03, 2020, 12:34:46 PM

An important note is that WA-16 is weird because of the mileage taking a leap on either side of the Tacoma Narrows Bridge. I suppose this sign is meant to indicate that the mile posts have suddenly decreased substantially after crossing from Gig Harbor into Tacoma. Exit 8, just on the other side of the bridge, is only about a 1.5 miles from Exit 4, the immediate exit on the Tacoma side, but these both align with mileposts along the highway. I think WA-16 ended up being shorter in Tacoma than expected, hence the missing mileage.

This is probably due to the fact that originally WA-16 used surface streets and went into downtown Tacoma, then turned south and ended where Pacific Ave crossed I-5.

Later, after 1973 when the Nalley Valley Viaduct was opened to traffic, WA-16 still used 6th Ave approaching the bridge.

Ahh, yes. That was it. Thank you.

I guess what confuses me more, is why the mileposts were not adjusted when the freeway was built in the late 80s. As far as I know, exit numbers were not posted until the 2000s, so it wouldn't have required anything more than replacing the mileposts and some legal amendments. Itself a task, yes, but nothing compared to replacing dozens of big green signs with exit numbers already plastered over them.

ozarkman417

Just in case the other tunnel is closed? Both ends of the tunnel have two-way traffic signs facing the other direction.

jakeroot

Quote from: ozarkman417 on September 03, 2020, 02:46:05 PM
Just in case the other tunnel is closed? Both ends of the tunnel have two-way traffic signs facing the other direction.

This was already confirmed upthread by the existence of lane-use matrix displays adjacent to the sign.

Still, it's not common to use that sign in that situation, to the best of my knowledge. At least not one that is permanently displayed.

vdeane

Quote from: jakeroot on September 03, 2020, 02:45:01 PM

I guess what confuses me more, is why the mileposts were not adjusted when the freeway was built in the late 80s. As far as I know, exit numbers were not posted until the 2000s, so it wouldn't have required anything more than replacing the mileposts and some legal amendments. Itself a task, yes, but nothing compared to replacing dozens of big green signs with exit numbers already plastered over them.
Why would it require some legal amendments?  Surely Washington doesn't legislate milemarker locations.  And I thought California's legislated route numbers was bad!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jakeroot

Quote from: vdeane on September 03, 2020, 08:23:51 PM

Why would it require some legal amendments?  Surely Washington doesn't legislate milemarker locations.  And I thought California's legislated route numbers was bad!

Actually, it wouldn't. Our routes are legislated the same as California's (each state route is codified in the RCW -- all routes are legally state routes) but mileage locations are not codified. My bad.

STLmapboy

This has probably already been posted (after all, it's central Boston), but this sign is interesting for a number of reasons. Any other yellow curve signs with exit numbers?
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

roadfro

Probably has more to do with ease of record keeping than anything else. Not only would you need to replace the field mileposts, but now every DOT document ever created that refers to a specific milepost location along the replaced section is now incorrect--as-built plans, milepost index/route inventory, crash records, etc.

In California, most routes originally had postmiles measured circa 1964, and Caltrans denotes any subsequent realignments with "R" postmiles (or "S" postmiles at a second realignment). I'd hazard the guess that they do this also for record-keeping purposes.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: STLmapboy on September 04, 2020, 01:00:43 PM
This has probably already been posted (after all, it's central Boston), but this sign is interesting for a number of reasons. Any other yellow curve signs with exit numbers?

What's also interesting is that the arrows have different thicknesses.  Is there a significance to the choice of arrow thickness?
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 384/425. Only 41 route markers remain!

kphoger

Quote from: paulthemapguy on September 04, 2020, 02:05:12 PM

Quote from: STLmapboy on September 04, 2020, 01:00:43 PM

What's also interesting is that the arrows have different thicknesses.  Is there a significance to the choice of arrow thickness?

Thick arrows are for the Interstate, thin arrow is for Exit #24A (access to South Station).
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Katavia

They aren't curve warning signs and they don't have exit numbers, but these three ugly signs are all located along the same road - in fact I pass by the first two signs on the regular. I'm not sure if these things originated from NCDOT or if they are just a Kannapolis town-installed thing.

GSV: https://goo.gl/maps/zzwDU4r8kRiRh2Nu7
A unisign and a unusual font on the I-85 shield specifically.

GSV: https://goo.gl/maps/tvYGwATcEGHr28xH9
The same unusual font for the I-85 shield, but all three arrows are a bit off to boot, as if they were cropped to just show the arrow with as little whitespace as possible.

GSV: https://goo.gl/maps/gr3eeoK4PjBS8gHk7
Just after old (hidden?) US 29A/Main Street... Ew. Odd font on the I-85 shield (sound familiar?), derpy up arrow... oh, and "KANNAPOLIS PARKWAY" too.
(Former) pizza delivery driver with a penchant for highways.
On nearly every other online platform I go by Kurzov - Katavia is a holdover from the past.

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

plain

A rather weird sign in Suffolk, VA on US 13/58/460 at Wilroy Rd. Looks like it could've been better used as a logo for a company or something.

NOTE: There has been no secondary routes in Suffolk since 2006, making SR 642 erroneous

Images from GSV

moto g(7) optimo (XT1952DL)

Newark born, Richmond bred

JoePCool14

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

STLmapboy

Missouri>>>>>Illinois

roadfro

Quote from: JoePCool14 on September 04, 2020, 10:15:17 PM
Quote from: plain on September 04, 2020, 09:35:58 PM

moto g(7) optimo (XT1952DL)

All things considered, this could've turned out a lot worse.

Should've used a combination horizontal alignment/advisory exit sign and without the through arrow, such as this:
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

STLmapboy

Missouri>>>>>Illinois

JoePCool14

Quote from: STLmapboy on September 05, 2020, 12:40:45 PM
Blech! I have an irrational hate for these shields.

In all honesty those aren't that bad. The fonts are at least FHWA. They used the right shields. They're not bubble shields. Like with the other sign above, you can do so, so, so much worse.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

CoreySamson

Quote from: JoePCool14 on September 05, 2020, 04:30:52 PM
Quote from: STLmapboy on September 05, 2020, 12:40:45 PM
Blech! I have an irrational hate for these shields.

In all honesty those aren't that bad. The fonts are at least FHWA. They used the right shields. They're not bubble shields. Like with the other sign above, you can do so, so, so much worse.

Yeah. The big problem here is those strange arrows.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

ErmineNotyours

Quote from: jakeroot on September 03, 2020, 08:48:03 PM
Quote from: vdeane on September 03, 2020, 08:23:51 PM

Actually, it wouldn't. Our routes are legislated the same as California's (each state route is codified in the RCW -- all routes are legally state routes) but mileage locations are not codified. My bad.

Damn, I wish I hadn't taken a three day break from the board.

You'll notice equations a lot if you explore WSDOT SR Web.  They're fascinating for figuring out alignment histories of highways.  The intro pages to the State Highway Logs explain how they work.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.