States or communities with the worst law enforcement officers

Started by roadman65, May 02, 2018, 12:33:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

You hear about them on the news, but what about the one's you hear about from word of mouth or from being pulled over personally.

I have to say Georgia has some bad attitude cops.  I once rented a car that had Dade County, FL plates and a Charlton County, GA Sheriff Deputy ( a border county too) pulled me over for supposed weaving which I was not  Needless to say I even passed the breath test as I had no alcohol even on me, but his concern was drug trafficking and being Miami was in Dade County at the time in 1999, he assumed I was a runner.  Then another instance was in Peach County off of I-75 when I was on the frontage road parked and the heavy accented Deputy who was in his late 50's being suspicious of a Florida tag car on his highway even stating he disliked out of state drivers decided to do a random license check on me.  When he found nothing to arrest me for, he seemed like he was extremely disappointed.  Then this past weekend I had a run in with a GA Patrol who cited me for using the camera for taking road pics in which I did not as when I saw him I put the camera down, but he still pulled me over and noticed that previous photos on the same camera had other area road pics so he tried to tell himself that they were taken all while he was behind me in that stage of trying to nail me.

I seem to always have luck in GA, and most people I chat with seem to have bad things to say about GA cops as well.

What states have you heard where the local or state fuzz always harrass people?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Flint1979

Ohio if you have a Michigan plate. I can't defend Michigan's officers at all though, you have some good and bad in every department. There are three departments in Saginaw County that I can say are among the worst. Honestly though the Michigan State Police don't seem to be too bad depending on what branch you get.

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

bandit957

I can't say every cop is bad, but I'm disappointed at the political pressure around here to keep real crimes from being prosecuted - just to protect people in high places around here.

I've been punished far worse just for complaining about these crimes.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

SP Cook

Do they use a radar gun?  If so, they are tied for dead last, and are as far from serious law enforcement as the guy who runs the astro-glider at the local amusement park is from an astronaut.

abefroman329

I lived in GA from ages 14 to 22, which means that I've spent the most time interacting with cops in GA.  IME, Georgia has the best and worst.  Kind to me when I was young and in minor traffic accidents and scared/upset, but complete dicks when they were on power trips (I remember one who got mad at me because he was trying to pull over a speeder and I happened to pull in front of the cop before he could, and the cop decided the speeder and I must be co-conspirators.  Hoo boy.  That night was the night I learned the value of using the left lane only for passing).

hotdogPi

Quote from: SP Cook on May 02, 2018, 09:15:47 AM
Do they use a radar gun?  If so, they are tied for dead last, and are as far from serious law enforcement as the guy who runs the astro-glider at the local amusement park is from an astronaut.

Tied for dead last? Even if they use a radar gun they are several variables:

• Whether the speed limit is what it should be or if it's too low
  • How many speed traps there are and how often they are active
  • Whether the radar guns are correctly calibrated or not
  • If locals are exempt from getting tickets
  • Arbitrary town lines that include areas that are only meant for writing tickets
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

abefroman329

Quote from: 1 on May 02, 2018, 09:38:44 AM

• Arbitrary town lines that include areas that are only meant for writing tickets

Whether the ticket was written a sufficient distance from a drop in the speed limit for you to actually slow to that speed, whether they're targeting out-of-town drivers because they think they'll pay the fine rather than coming back to contest it in court...

US71

Johnson, Arkansas police used to sit on the 71 Freeway (now I-49) , hide behind the rock outcroppings, and nail speeders. They made lots of money for local coffers until the state police told the city they had no jurisdiction beyond local streets.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hbelkins

Quote from: 1 on May 02, 2018, 09:38:44 AM

His point, with which I concur, is that law enforcement agencies spend more time pursuing activities that generate revenue than they do fighting real, harmful, damaging-to-society crimes. Instead of sitting out on a road somewhere writing tickets to people who are driving faster than some arbitrary speed limit, they should be doing saturation patrols of areas where shootings, assaults, robberies, drug dealing, etc., are occurring.

I don't think you can lump all LEOs within one jurisdiction as being good or bad, as they are individuals with their own personalities, attitudes, etc.

Now if you want to change the thread to "states or communities with the worst laws," we start with the People's Republic of Virginia, at least where traffic enforcement is concerned.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

abefroman329

Quote from: hbelkins on May 02, 2018, 11:21:58 AM
"states or communities with the worst laws"

That's an even faster path to a locked thread than "states or communities with the worst LEOs."

Takumi

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 02, 2018, 12:04:54 PM
"states or communities with the worst laws"

That's an even faster path to a locked thread than "states or communities with the worst LEOs."
He's just trying to find an excuse to say "People's Republic of Virginia"  since he was totally ignored the last time he said it.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

WillWeaverRVA

Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

abefroman329

Quote from: NE2 on May 02, 2018, 02:36:41 PM
Ferguson, MO.

There's probably one that's even worse, we just haven't heard about it yet.

Brandon

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 02, 2018, 02:48:50 PM
Ferguson, MO.

Chicago has a bad reputation (Burge, Van Dyke, Daley using them during the 1968 DNC, et.al.), but I've never come across a bad one myself there.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

abefroman329

Quote from: Brandon on May 02, 2018, 02:58:59 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on May 02, 2018, 02:48:50 PM
Ferguson, MO.

Chicago has a bad reputation (Burge, Van Dyke, Daley using them during the 1968 DNC, et.al.), but I've never come across a bad one myself there.

Lest I end up getting this thread locked myself, I'll just say that I've never come across a bad cop anywhere, but that my personal experiences aren't relevant to the big picture, and leave it at that.

bing101

Ferguson, MO.

Maricopa County, AZ had an issue with its Lead Sheriff due to questionable practices in its county detention centers.

Los Angeles County and Los Angeles City had issues about its law enforcement and that's national news though.

bugo

His point, with which I concur, is that law enforcement agencies spend more time pursuing activities that generate revenue than they do fighting real, harmful, damaging-to-society crimes.

You mean like cannabis smoking?

abefroman329

Quote from: bugo on June 21, 2018, 05:47:56 AM
His point, with which I concur, is that law enforcement agencies spend more time pursuing activities that generate revenue than they do fighting real, harmful, damaging-to-society crimes.

Your signature is missing your opinion on the Know-Nothings and the Bull Moose Party.

Road Hog

You don't get to be a certified DPS trooper in the state of Texas without passing Asshole 101.

abefroman329

Quote from: Road Hog on June 21, 2018, 11:02:58 AM
You don't get to be a certified DPS trooper in the state of Texas without passing Asshole 101.

I don't think you get to hold any paid position in Texas without passing Asshole 101.

hbelkins

Quote from: bugo on June 21, 2018, 05:47:56 AM

I think the argument could be made that weed possession is more of a revenue-generating activity than anything else, especially in states where it has been decriminalized. It's still an offense for which a fine must be paid.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.