News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Arby's to buy Jimmy John's

Started by US71, September 25, 2019, 01:16:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

The one and only time I had a Jimmy John's sub, I learned they only use provolone cheese. Never went back.

The Subway bread is the only good thing about a Subway hoagie. If you order a Subway hoagie with absolutely nothing but the bread, honestly you're better off that way.

The ONLY Subway outlet I liked is actually in the Pilot truck stop at the base of the NJ Turnpike and I-295 in NJ on Rt. 140. They made their hoagies extra thick. Of course, that is also 15 years ago now so who knows how they make them today!

dlsterner

Quote from: allniter89 on September 25, 2019, 01:23:05 PM

JJ opened here months ago. There was alot of hype about how delicious JJs food was but I've never seen more than 2 cars there any time of day. I havent tried the food yet. JJ food opinions?

Jimmy John's:  Meh ...  It's edible and better than Subway IMO.  But there are plenty of other sub chains around here which are better than those two - Jersey Mike's, Potbelly, Firehouse.  (Again, just my opinion).  Currently I would probably put Jersey Mike's at the top, but that can change with the phase of the moon.

I also liked Quiznos quite a bit before the chain self-imploded in this area.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on September 25, 2019, 04:12:56 PM
As for Jimmy John's? I don't go there (any in CT?) and then the horror stories about their CEO and his senseless game hunting ways.

Nope, none in CT.  Nearest ones are in White Plains and in the Worcester area.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

webny99

Quote from: cl94 on September 25, 2019, 07:58:44 PM
DiBella's is consistently excellent. They've been cutting portions back as of late, but it's still a big, high-quality sandwich for a decent price. Definitely a better deal than Subway if you like your meat. Wegmans subs are the exact same as DiBella's.

Agreed with that. I'd bet Wegmans has a bigger variety of toppings, but other than that, they are almost identical.

Quote from: vdeane on September 25, 2019, 08:52:47 PM
Quote from: webny99 on September 25, 2019, 03:59:04 PM
I can't imagine why I would go to Jimmy John's - or worse, Subway - for a sub, when I have the three best sub shops on Earth (Amiels, Dibellas, and Wegmans) all within 10 minutes!
The Irondequoit Rubino's is really good too - it's become my the go-to place to get subs for my parents.

Right! I almost forgot about Rubino's. There's one in Webster, too, but I haven't been to either one in ages.

US71

Quote from: dlsterner on September 26, 2019, 12:08:08 AM
Quote from: allniter89 on September 25, 2019, 01:23:05 PM

JJ opened here months ago. There was alot of hype about how delicious JJs food was but I've never seen more than 2 cars there any time of day. I havent tried the food yet. JJ food opinions?

Jimmy John's:  Meh ...  It's edible and better than Subway IMO.  But there are plenty of other sub chains around here which are better than those two - Jersey Mike's, Potbelly, Firehouse.  (Again, just my opinion).  Currently I would probably put Jersey Mike's at the top, but that can change with the phase of the moon.

I also liked Quiznos quite a bit before the chain self-imploded in this area.

Quizno's self imploded almost everywhere, as did Blimpie
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: US71 on September 26, 2019, 09:58:22 AM
Quizno's self imploded almost everywhere, as did Blimpie

I didn't even know Quiznos still existed, until I read this thread and looked it up. Apparently they still have ~800 locations.

KEVIN_224

Blimpie's used to have a few places in CT. Their location on the Berlin Turnpike in Newington is now a local Checker's pizza place. Not very big at all. Had them deliver to my mother's place a couple of times. It was OK, but not great. Our local DiBella's was pretty much equidistant and was preferred by me and my brother.

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

hotdogPi

In this area, there are a whole bunch of non-chains.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

SectorZ

The company that owns Arby's also owns a company called "Rusty Taco".

Yeah, that sounds a tad gross.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on September 26, 2019, 01:03:23 PM
Blimpie's used to have a few places in CT. Their location on the Berlin Turnpike in Newington is now a local Checker's pizza place. Not very big at all. Had them deliver to my mother's place a couple of times. It was OK, but not great. Our local DiBella's was pretty much equidistant and was preferred by me and my brother.

There is still a Blimpie's on CT 322 near TA Truck Stop in Milldale just off of I-84.  Believe it or not, there is one lone Quizno's on US 1 in Orange.  Used to be quite a few, including one in Cromwell on CT 372 that is now a local place, and one in downtown Southington that is now a Thai place.  I believe another one in Bristol became one of the two failed Firehouse Subs.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

ErmineNotyours

The store that was Quizznos by my work sat empty for a while and then became a Jimmy John's.  They went from a place that always toasts their subs to a place that never toasts their subs.  And it took me two trips before I figured this out.  Work often orders from them for meetings.  At least they have enough of a sense of humor to post this sign, upside down, near the restrooms: 4U2P.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: hbelkins on September 26, 2019, 01:05:57 PM
As for gas stations, Wawa Sheetz is the gold standard.

FIFY.

Honestly, in most publications, Wawa is the winner.

kevinb1994

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 27, 2019, 12:40:36 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on September 26, 2019, 01:05:57 PM
As for gas stations, Wawa Sheetz is the gold standard.

FIFY.

Honestly, in most publications, Wawa is the winner.

I like that Wawa expanded to our area of Florida not long after we moved here a couple years ago. However, I still miss seeing a Quick Chek (North Jersey) or Stewart's every now and then...I've also seen Rutter's and Turkey Hill in Central PA.

ilpt4u

I do recall Jimmy Johns offering delivery years ago, well before most other non-pizza restaurants offered delivery.
JJ's was founded in Charleston, IL as a sandwich delivery service for college kids at Eastern Illinois University (in the 80s? Maybe early 90s?)...it was successful, they opened another in Urbana-Champaign for the larger University if Illinois, again success, and so on...Delivery was the basis of the business

KEVIN_224

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on September 26, 2019, 11:47:49 PM
Quote from: KEVIN_224 on September 26, 2019, 01:03:23 PM

There is still a Blimpie's on CT 322 near TA Truck Stop in Milldale just off of I-84.  Believe it or not, there is one lone Quizno's on US 1 in Orange.  Used to be quite a few, including one in Cromwell on CT 372 that is now a local place, and one in downtown Southington that is now a Thai place.  I believe another one in Bristol became one of the two failed Firehouse Subs.

There also used to be a Quizno's along CT Route 372 in Berlin (Farmington Avenue). I think it's some type of Himalayan restaurant in that spot now.

TheHighwayMan3561

To me JJ's is far better than Subway, but my favorites are Jersey Mike's and a MN/WI chain called Erbert and Gerbert's. Casey's General Store is the only gas station chain around here with that big of a food bar, but its focus has primarily been on pizza and not subs.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

DaBigE

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on September 27, 2019, 01:34:34 PM
To me JJ's is far better than Subway, but my favorites are Jersey Mike's and a MN/WI chain called Erbert and Gerbert's.
My town had an Erbert & Gerbert, but it closed before I even had a chance to try it. Did I miss anything?

QuoteCasey's General Store is the only gas station chain around here with that big of a food bar, but its focus has primarily been on pizza and not subs.

No Kwik Trip/Star near you? I almost can't imagine life without one of those nearby.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

jemacedo9

Quote from: webny99 on September 26, 2019, 09:53:43 AM
DiBella's is consistently excellent. They've been cutting portions back as of late, but it's still a big, high-quality sandwich for a decent price. Definitely a better deal than Subway if you like your meat. Wegmans subs are the exact same as DiBella's.

Agreed with that. I'd bet Wegmans has a bigger variety of toppings, but other than that, they are almost identical.

Quote from: vdeane on September 25, 2019, 08:52:47 PM
I can't imagine why I would go to Jimmy John's - or worse, Subway - for a sub, when I have the three best sub shops on Earth (Amiels, Dibellas, and Wegmans) all within 10 minutes!
The Irondequoit Rubino's is really good too - it's become my the go-to place to get subs for my parents.

Right! I almost forgot about Rubino's. There's one in Webster, too, but I haven't been to either one in ages.

Oooh...how I miss Rubinos...I'm gonna have to stop by on my next Roch trip...

Sctvhound

Jimmy John's only has a few locations in our area. Their bread isn't as fresh as even Subway and definitely not as fresh as Jersey Mike's. They stay in business though because they are the closest sub place to the College of Charleston campus. They are right below one of the dormitories on campus, and are open very late at night (I think until 3am every night of the week). Most of their business is delivery.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: DaBigE on September 27, 2019, 01:46:42 PM
No Kwik Trip/Star near you? I almost can't imagine life without one of those nearby.

Oh I love KT and they've stolen my business from Holiday, just was commenting pertaining to the sub sandwiches discussion.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

DandyDan

When I lived in Omaha, I would order at Jimmy John's once a week, right up to the point they added a Firehouse Sub and Jersey Mike's to the area. Of course, now that I live in Mason City, I'm stuck with Jimmy John's and Subway, unless I get up early enough to go to one of the local restaurants. Of course, this requires me to want to eat out at noon, which I don't like doing.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

US71

An hour north of me, there's Loafin' Joe's Subs, a small local chain. VERY good.  a couple dollars more than the chains, but worth it.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Jim

I only had JJ's a few times, was never impressed.  I'll go to Subway once in a while, as it's good enough and I know I won't spend too much.  I hated to see Latham's Firehouse Subs close, as I liked them.  Now I go pretty regularly to the Jersey Mike's at the Latham Circle.  I've had some of my best quick service chain sandwiches from that Jersey Mike's including a top quality #6 just a couple days ago, but have had a few disappointing ones from them as well.  The meat slicer can get to be a bottleneck, too, especially when they basically stop serving the in-person line to fill large online takeout orders.  I don't go if I am in a big rush, just in case.  I've also never seen a place have so much trouble running their register.  DiBella's is good too, but there's not one convenient to me.  The local chain Mr. Subb served me some disgustingly bad soup many years ago, so I haven't been back.

I basically have forgotten that Quiznos exists, with no locations I can think of nearby and not something I'd try to go to when traveling.  I've had some good subs from D'Angelo's when in their territory.  I used to go to Angelina's when I lived in the Berkshires.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

MNHighwayMan

Firehouse Subs is the only sub place I've gone to in recent years, and they're really good. I don't care for JJ's or Subway, and Jersey Mike's is a place I have yet to try, mostly because their two Des Moines metro locations are kinda far from me, and I'm not driving across town for a friggin' sandwich.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.