Most shady exits on an interstate highway

Started by Flint1979, July 30, 2019, 11:03:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thspfc

Quote from: Bruce on July 31, 2019, 02:15:14 AM
being tailed by a pick-up on a deserted country road with no cell service.
You have just described half the exits on I-10, 40, 70, 80, or 90 across the great plains.

RobbieL2415

All I can think of are the flyover ramps in the Bronx for the Deegan/Cross Bronx Expressways and for the Cross Bronx/GWB/Henry Hudson Parkway. Those ramps are tall, narrow and bend very tightly.

kphoger

Quote from: Flint1979 on July 30, 2019, 11:03:02 AM
Obviously a lot are going to be in the inner cities like along the Dan Ryan in Chicago ...

Really, most of the rough neighborhoods I've been to in Chicago have been away from the Interstates.  I suppose, if I were to pick one, I'd go with I-290 @ California/Sacramento.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Quote from: webny99 on July 30, 2019, 12:09:53 PM
Rochester isn't a very big city, but I don't think there are any freeway exits where I would feel unsafe, at least not within the confines of the interchange and the areas immediately adjacent. Most of the areas where there is a higher-than-normal chance of encountering danger aren't that close to a freeway.

Quote from: kphoger on July 31, 2019, 06:46:00 PM
Really, most of the rough neighborhoods I've been to in Chicago have been away from the Interstates.

So maybe it isn't just a small city thing. I assumed it was, as bigger cities tend to have larger, more complicated and/or integrated freeway networks.

NE2

Everything in Baltimore is in the shade of one of these:
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Flint1979

Quote from: kphoger on July 31, 2019, 06:46:00 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on July 30, 2019, 11:03:02 AM
Obviously a lot are going to be in the inner cities like along the Dan Ryan in Chicago ...

Really, most of the rough neighborhoods I've been to in Chicago have been away from the Interstates.  I suppose, if I were to pick one, I'd go with I-290 @ California/Sacramento.
Well the Dan Ryan goes through Englewood and Fuller Park and other Southside ghettos. The Ike goes through some rough Westside neighborhoods.

Flint1979

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on July 31, 2019, 06:21:30 PM
All I can think of are the flyover ramps in the Bronx for the Deegan/Cross Bronx Expressways and for the Cross Bronx/GWB/Henry Hudson Parkway. Those ramps are tall, narrow and bend very tightly.
I know what you're talking about. I've been on the Cross Bronx to the Major Deegan southbound to go to Yankee Stadium several times.

Henry

I'd say I-110 in Los Angeles has lots of shady exits, seeing that it serves South Central, Watts, Inglewood and Compton. Same goes for I-105.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

hotdogPi

Quote from: Henry on August 02, 2019, 10:23:44 AM
I'd say I-110 in Los Angeles has lots of shady exits, seeing that it serves South Central, Watts, Inglewood and Compton. Same goes for I-105.

I interpreted the question the same way at first. It turns out that what was meant is "shadiest exits", not "greatest number of shady exits".
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

SSR_317

Quote from: Verlanka on July 31, 2019, 05:59:29 AM
Rural exits with very few people around are way, way shadier than anything in the "inner city". I've never felt more fearful while driving than while being tailed by a pick-up on a deserted country road with no cell service.
I agree with that statement.
As do I.

hbelkins

Quote from: SSR_317 on August 04, 2019, 01:47:23 PM
Quote from: Verlanka on July 31, 2019, 05:59:29 AM
Rural exits with very few people around are way, way shadier than anything in the "inner city". I've never felt more fearful while driving than while being tailed by a pick-up on a deserted country road with no cell service.
I agree with that statement.
As do I.

You all watched "Deliverance" too many times. I've never felt unsafe in a rural area; my dislike of lack of cell service is more related to not being able to call in case of a vehicle breakdown than any fear for my safety.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

SP Cook

I have known several people with what can only be described as a phobia (and I, unlike some current PC types, use the word phobia properly) of rural travel.  Fact is, Deliverance was a movie, and the idea that a person is going to run into any type of trouble, be it mad hillbillies, car trouble with service 100s of miles away, crooked shopkeepers with the only outlet for miles around, or whatever, is just not real.  Fact is, any person, black or white, male or female, can safely travel any part of North America, provided they use common sense and reason. 

roadman65

Chancellor and Lyons Avenues in Newark off of Exits 54-55 of I-78 (both for Hillside Irvington, but different ramps due to ramp locations) is pretty shady now from what it used to be.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

allniter89

When I drove a 18 wheeler I usually slept at the consignee overnight so I wouldn't have to deal with a.m. rush hours.
I was delivering in Shitcargo near 51st & Halstead. I heard numerous gunshots somewhere in the neighborhood as soon as I got parked. I got my ass up & drove back to the closest truckstop in Gary, In. Those truckstops at exit 6 I 80/94 weren't much better but at least I had witnesses. 
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

ftballfan

I-75 exit 122 (Pierson Rd, just outside of Flint). Crime is so high that many chains have pulled out of that area in the last 15-20 years:
A&W
Applebee's
Bob Evans
Burger King
KFC
Kmart
Long John Silver's
Meijer (indirectly replaced by the stores at I-69 exit 128 and I-75 exit 136)

Exit 117B (Miller Rd) on I-75 gets an honorable mention due to the pay by the hour motels at the exit, but there are more operating businesses at the exit (including locations of a few chains that left Pierson Rd)

Flint1979

Quote from: ftballfan on August 08, 2019, 09:19:54 PM
I-75 exit 122 (Pierson Rd, just outside of Flint). Crime is so high that many chains have pulled out of that area in the last 15-20 years:
A&W
Applebee's
Bob Evans
Burger King
KFC
Kmart
Long John Silver's

Exit 117B (Miller Rd) on I-75 gets an honorable mention due to the pay by the hour motels at the exit, but there are more operating businesses at the exit (including locations of a few chains that left Pierson Rd)
Oh yeah I'm familiar with both exits. I was going to mention them later on but had just thought of eone Saginaw exits first. Anyway at the Pierson exit a few years ago I was sitting in the McDonald's parking lot and after being there for a few minutes a car pulls up beside me and I have my window down. I heard him ask me what city he was in and I simply said Flint, Michigan. He told me he was on his way from Ann Arbor to Tawas City and was running low on gas and didn't have any money. I said well I'm sorry man I can't help you out and my suggestion for you is to get back on I-75 this is not a safe area.

The Miller exit isn't bad really. If you were to go up to Ballenger and make a left it gets kinda rough near Court Street. Around the exit is ok it's also an exit off I-69 so it's pretty busy. I know what you mean about the hotels at that exit. Not that i would really have all reason to stay at a hotel in Flint but I wouldn't to stay at one at this exit. Hill Road off US-23 is a better choice.

NWI_Irish96

Indiana:

I-64: Exit 123, Main St, New Albany
I-65: Exit 112, Lafayette Rd, Indianapolis
I-69: Exit 0, US 41, Evansville
I-70: Exit 85, Keystone/Rural, Indianapolis
I-74: Exit 96, Post Rd, Indianapolis
I-80/94: Exit 9, Grant St, Gary
I-90: Exit 14, Grant St, Gary
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

jaehak

I-5 - Grapevine to Sacramento line - literally any interchange. Ditto I-70 from Truman Sports Complex to I-44.

ftballfan

Quote from: Flint1979 on August 10, 2019, 04:45:33 PM
A&W
Applebee's
Bob Evans
Burger King
KFC
Kmart
Long John Silver's

Oh yeah I'm familiar with both exits. I was going to mention them later on but had just thought of eone Saginaw exits first. Anyway at the Pierson exit a few years ago I was sitting in the McDonald's parking lot and after being there for a few minutes a car pulls up beside me and I have my window down. I heard him ask me what city he was in and I simply said Flint, Michigan. He told me he was on his way from Ann Arbor to Tawas City and was running low on gas and didn't have any money. I said well I'm sorry man I can't help you out and my suggestion for you is to get back on I-75 this is not a safe area.

The Miller exit isn't bad really. If you were to go up to Ballenger and make a left it gets kinda rough near Court Street. Around the exit is ok it's also an exit off I-69 so it's pretty busy. I know what you mean about the hotels at that exit. Not that i would really have all reason to stay at a hotel in Flint but I wouldn't to stay at one at this exit. Hill Road off US-23 is a better choice.
My dad once stayed at the Red Roof Inn off Miller Road while taking a class in Flint and he noticed how busy it was at night. He only ended up there because it was very cheap online. However, the Hill Rd area is very hard to get to from northbound I-75 (either having to double back at Bristol Rd or take I-475 to Hill Rd).

Some other shady exits I can think of off the top of my head:
I-75 exit 11, LaPlaisance Rd, Monroe
I-96 exit 33, Plainfield Ave, Grand Rapids
I-96 exit 104, Cedar St, Lansing
US-131 exits 82 to 84A, Grand Rapids/Wyoming
Every exit on I-475 (Flint) besides Hill Rd and I-69
Most non-freeway/freeway or freeway/major arterial exits within the City of Detroit

Flint1979

In the Flint area for I-75.

131 is a good exit
126 is a strange exit. It has two older gas stations and an adult bookstore. Mt Morris is pretty ghetto in character too.
125 is I-475.
122 is a shithole exit.
118 is decent.
117 is decent depending on where your going on Miller and part of that exit is I-69 too.
116 is so-so. Lots of truck traffic with GM having a plant there and airport traffic as well.
115 is the US-23 split so nothing there.
111 is northbound I-475.
109 is the south end of Dort Hwy which at that point is good.
108 is good.

Out of all that I'm going with 122 as the worst one.

paulthemapguy

I remember not feeling particularly safe entering I-10 leaving Bourbon Street in New Orleans.  I think I was around the 235/236 mile markers.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

StogieGuy7

The Dan Ryan Expressway (90/94) through the south side of Chicago not only passes through some really rough areas (basically from Comiskey Park southward), but it has seen numerous freeway shootings.  Many are targeted, but some have been random and you hear about it happening more often that you'd think.  Runner up in the 'Chicago's most dangerous expressway' contest has to be the Stevenson Expressway, from roughly Pulaski east to it's junction with the Dan Ryan.  Again, quite a few shooting incidents on that stretch of road.  So, you don't even have to get off of the interstate to experience the nastyness of Chicago's shadiest areas. 

Sctvhound

In South Carolina:

20: A couple of those small-time exits between Aiken and Columbia are pretty bad. No lighting at night, and no services. Wire Rd is one.
26: 125 in Gaston is pretty empty at night. No services. None of the Charleston area exits (except maybe Spruill Ave when its open, has been closed for years) are shady.
77: Nothing really shady except for Fairfield County, maybe White Oak (46) and the last Winnsboro exit (41)
85: Nothing real shady.
95: Could list off 10 different exits. Nothing from Lake Marion, then 108 and 119 are the only really good exits in like a 50 mile stretch. Nothing at 62 or 68 in Colleton County either.

TEG24601

Quote from: ftballfan on August 12, 2019, 10:42:08 PM
A&W
Applebee's
Bob Evans
Burger King
KFC
Kmart
Long John Silver's

My dad once stayed at the Red Roof Inn off Miller Road while taking a class in Flint and he noticed how busy it was at night. He only ended up there because it was very cheap online. However, the Hill Rd area is very hard to get to from northbound I-75 (either having to double back at Bristol Rd or take I-475 to Hill Rd).

Most non-freeway/freeway or freeway/major arterial exits within the City of Detroit

Damn.  I used to love that Meijer.  It had a great barbershop inside.  And was the first place I ever discovered Michigan's inconvenient blue laws (no liquor purchases between 2am and 10am on Sunday, at least that is what they told us).   I always preferred the Miller Rd. exit over the Corunna Rd. exit, but then again that was 10 years ago, a lot has likely changed since then.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

Flint1979

Quote from: TEG24601 on August 15, 2019, 07:12:57 PM
Quote from: ftballfan on August 12, 2019, 10:42:08 PM
A&W
Applebee's
Bob Evans
Burger King
KFC
Kmart
Long John Silver's

Damn.  I used to love that Meijer.  It had a great barbershop inside.  And was the first place I ever discovered Michigan's inconvenient blue laws (no liquor purchases between 2am and 10am on Sunday, at least that is what they told us).   I always preferred the Miller Rd. exit over the Corunna Rd. exit, but then again that was 10 years ago, a lot has likely changed since then.
The Meijer closed around 2012ish and was replaced by the Swartz Creek one. There was already one in Birch Run too. It was a cool Meijer but I heard one reason they closed it was because it was too big, it was nearly 300,000 square feet. The other reason being the crime in the area. Kroger closed at Hallwood Plaza too but still has two stores on Corunna.

Actually the Miller exit always has had more at the exit than Corunna. Myself though I don't mind the Pierson exit but I know the area and can generally be ok around there. The exit I hate is Clio Road off 475.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.