News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

101 express lanes project (SF Bay Area)

Started by FredAkbar, December 25, 2021, 01:24:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FredAkbar

Apparently the lanes are going to be opened earlier than expected, but without the express/tolling capability for the first few months, so it will be HOV3+ only from 5am-8pm according to this article. Also interesting claim that the sudden change in plans is due to ABC7's reporting (I do remember that last article where there's much consternation about the inefficient progress).

But now, citing reaction to the I-Team report, officials have announced they will begin incrementally opening the express lanes for carpools beginning in early November depending on weather conditions, and that they plan to fully open all north and southbound lanes by mid-November.

Between the hours of 5 a.m. and 8 p.m., the express lanes will be limited to HOV3+ vehicles. Outside of those hours, all drivers will be allowed to use the lanes.

I've never heard of such long hours for a carpool lane to be in effect (for the next few months until they switch to proper express lanes), but then again HOV lanes are 24/7 in other places such as SoCal, so I guess it's not unprecedented. But I wonder if there will be confusion since other carpool lanes in the bay area are shorter hours (5-9am and 3-7pm).

Techknow

Well it's about time! I recently moved to be much closer to where I currently work but I still find myself on US-101 every time I go to the office or drive more than a few miles.

I understand much more needs to be done than constructing the lane like getting the tolling infrastructure to actually work. It appears that's taking longer than expected, so glad to hear the lane will open first.

Techknow

Yep the lanes are open but the tolling infrastructure is not ready yet neither are the HOV signs but I expect the latter to be ready soon...

Here is the southbound lane at and past the CA 92 junction

FredAkbar

The lines are now fully open in both directions (as of last week, the northbound side was still being reopened). Tolling is not yet functional, as has been reported.

One thing that surprised me is going northbound on 101, when you get to Whipple Ave, the newly added express lane appears on the left as a new lane, such that the existing express lane you're already in stops being express and you'd have to get over one lane to stay in the express lane. I had assumed they were going to restripe it so that the leftmost lane stays as one contiguous express lane (this is how it is going southbound), and the new lane would appear on the right instead.

FredAkbar

I didn't see any articles about it, but I just drove down the peninsula for the first time in a few weeks and the express lane capability seems to be fully installed (or at least testing). The temporary "HOV 3+ only" signage has been removed. However, some of the signage between the new and old portions (in Redwood City) now doesn't make sense, e.g. "express restriction ends" when going northbound, when really it continues up the rest of the peninsula. But I assume that will be dealt with soon.

Also, they did the thing that I expected them to do in my last comment. The northbound lanes around Whipple Ave got restriped so that the left (express) lane stays constant, and presumably a new lane is added on the right.

Techknow

Quote from: FredAkbar on February 16, 2023, 03:44:31 AM
The northbound lanes around Whipple Ave got restriped so that the left (express) lane stays constant, and presumably a new lane is added on the right.
I didn't notice this but I did notice the re-striping. Until 2-3 weeks ago, the right most lane towards northbound Exit 409 (Whipple Ave) was the only lane you could exit the freeway. Now, both the right most and the 2nd to the most right lane may be used to take the exit. I can even see the previous lane striping, which is darker than the asphalt.

Techknow

Nice of Caltrans to let commuters know that tolling in the express lanes is starting soon! Also just noticed that the first destination doesn't mention CA 84, just the name of the route segment.

FredAkbar

Quote from: Techknow on February 16, 2023, 11:00:43 PM
Now, both the right most and the 2nd to the most right lane may be used to take the exit. I can even see the previous lane striping, which is darker than the asphalt.

Actually it's sort of the opposite now: the lane is signed (overhead) and striped as Exit Only, but the lane doesn't end at the exit. The exit forks off from the rightmost lane like a normal exit, and the lane continues, becoming the #5 general purpose lane. (An onramp just after that, from EB Whipple Ave I believe, appends on as a 6th lane.)

Techknow

Quote from: FredAkbar on February 23, 2023, 05:07:42 AM
Quote from: Techknow on February 16, 2023, 11:00:43 PM
Now, both the right most and the 2nd to the most right lane may be used to take the exit. I can even see the previous lane striping, which is darker than the asphalt.

Actually it's sort of the opposite now: the lane is signed (overhead) and striped as Exit Only, but the lane doesn't end at the exit. The exit forks off from the rightmost lane like a normal exit, and the lane continues, becoming the #5 general purpose lane. (An onramp just after that, from EB Whipple Ave I believe, appends on as a 6th lane.)
Yeah you're right, I took the lane yesterday and there's no auxiliary lane that I mentioned previously, the NB right most lane to Whipple Ave is not an aux lane. And yes that 6th lane does appear which serves as an aux lane to the Holly Street exit.

Anyway, the signs have updated this morning to indicate that tolling begins at March 3 !

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.