News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

You've heard of left lane camping, but what about CENTER lane camping?

Started by RobbieL2415, October 17, 2023, 02:41:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobbieL2415

Basically, I'm talking about highways with 3+ lanes where either cars or trucks stay in the center lane despite (1) traveling next to traffic in the right lane at the same speed, thereby causing a pocket of slow traffic to form, therefore causing (2) the left lane to clog with traffic attempting to pass traffic in both the center lane and right lane.

This seems to have gotten worse over the past couple years. Every day at least once I'll sit in the left lane behind a line of cars that are all passing that one truck that hogs the center lane going 60mph right next to someone (rightfully) going 60mph in the left lane.

Any thoughts?

TheHighwayMan3561

It's common enough here that I don't even notice or think about it when I see it.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

7/8

Ugh, centre lane camping is unfortunately the norm in Ontario. At busy times, it feels like half the vehicles on the highway are piled in the left lane because of slow people hanging in the centre lane(s), with the right lane being underutilized. Some people will pass in the right lane in frustration, but you can only get so far before needing to join back into the left lane lineup again. Ironically it causes left lane camping, because you don't want to leave the left lane and not be able to get back in the lineup again.

Thankfully my short commute to work involves zero highway driving!

wanderer2575

Depends on the situation.  On the Detroit-area urban freeways where exits/entrances are one or more every mile and traffic in the right lane often slows for decelerating/accelerating vehicles or exit ramp backups, yes, I "camp" in the center lane and do the speed limit or higher.  That truck in the right lane (I assume you meant to say right lane) may be doing 60, but won't be for long.  I hope to not incite another riot here by saying it but I'm not positioning myself where I will have to repeatedly slow down/speed up, or constantly switch lanes to pass slower drivers in the right lane, for the benefit of someone wanting to exceed the speed limit even more than I am.

On the other hand, with distantly-spaced ramps (think Ohio Turnpike with its ramps spaced 10+ miles apart), I'm in the right lane unless I'm passing.

webny99

Quote from: 7/8 on October 17, 2023, 03:12:00 PM
Ugh, centre lane camping is unfortunately the norm in Ontario. At busy times, it feels like half the vehicles on the highway are piled in the left lane because of slow people hanging in the centre lane(s), with the right lane being underutilized. Some people will pass in the right lane in frustration, but you can only get so far before needing to join back into the left lane lineup again. Ironically it causes left lane camping, because you don't want to leave the left lane and not be able to get back in the lineup again.

Yes! The QEW from Niagara Falls to Hamilton is highly frustrating in this respect. On one hand it almost seems to need 8 lanes at busy times. On the other hand, the right lane is empty half the time while the left lane starts to pile up even when its not that busy... but there's juuust enough trucks, entering traffic, and other slow traffic that you can't use the right lane reliably.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

vdeane

I've noticed that there tends to be a mentality of "if I do X over the limit, I can camp in the center lane".  I honestly wonder if it's part of the reason why speed limits are so low in the northeast - if speed limits were more realistic, the campers might start to feel like they actually need to keep right, and they don't want to do that, because most people dislike lane changes (I've actually had someone tell me that she would never wish for the speed limit on I-787 to increase above 55, because then she couldn't just sit in the middle lane doing 60).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

1995hoo

Quote from: vdeane on October 17, 2023, 09:01:34 PM
I've noticed that there tends to be a mentality of "if I do X over the limit, I can camp in the center lane".  I honestly wonder if it's part of the reason why speed limits are so low in the northeast - if speed limits were more realistic, the campers might start to feel like they actually need to keep right, and they don't want to do that, because most people dislike lane changes (I've actually had someone tell me that she would never wish for the speed limit on I-787 to increase above 55, because then she couldn't just sit in the middle lane doing 60).

I've sometimes wondered whether the point you make about disliking lane changes might factor into why some drivers avoid the right lane—they don't want to come into conflict with, and then either have to change lanes for or slow down for, drivers entering the highway. I might be giving those people too much credit, though, because I also tend to suspect the average driver doesn't think about anyone but himself and doesn't give a damn about anyone else's convenience but his own.

In principle, I tend to think that as long as there is at least one lane to the left available for someone to pass, it isn't a problem for someone to be going "not as fast" as someone else wants in a lane other than the right lane. For example, if I'm on the Beltway (four lanes on each side, 55-mph speed limit) going 65 mph in the third lane over from the right (i.e., two lanes to my right, one lane to my left), and there is consistent traffic to my right, the fact that the guy behind me wants to go 75 mph doesn't obligate me to move over to the right because he can pass me on the left—especially if moving over to the right would cause me to have to slow down to 60 mph or some such. With that said, however, if either there is no traffic to the right or someone is going significantly slower than the overall speed of traffic and can move further to the right without having to slow down to do it, then I feel like that person ought to move further to the right (to use my example, if I were going 65 mph and being consistently passed on both sides—"consistently" meaning by the bulk of traffic and not just by the occasional PG County nutjob who's whipping back and forth across all four lanes weaving in and out with no signal—then I'd say I should be at least one lane further to the right).

Then you have situations where the road's configuration leads to slower traffic being to the left and faster traffic being to the right. The Beltway's Inner Loop at the western side of the Springfield Interchange is a good example of that. The Beltway has four lanes coming from the east. The left two lanes become the HO/T lanes and the right two lanes become the left two general-purpose lanes. Meanwhile, four lanes coming from I-95 and I-395 join on the right; of those four, the two right lanes end and the two left lanes then become the two righthand general-purpose lanes. There is always a lot of lane-changing and jockeying for position going on, but that's one place where I can't necessarily blame someone who was in the right lane on the Beltway going 55 to 60 mph for suddenly winding up one lane to the right of the left lane and not immediately trying to get over to the right. I don't fear changing lanes, but I don't love doing it in that particular area just because there is so much jockeying for position. (Edited to add: Here's a Street View link. The Google car is already on the Beltway in the right lane, but the lane he's in will be the third lane from the right—the second general-purpose lane from the left—once he gets beyond the merge up ahead. The lane where the black minivan is will become an HO/T lane—it'll be the right lane of two HO/T lanes.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

wanderer2575

Quote from: vdeane on October 17, 2023, 09:01:34 PM

It's not so much that I dislike lane changes; it's that, to which you allude, they can be hard to do in heavy traffic without cutting off someone.

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 18, 2023, 10:17:06 AM
I've sometimes wondered whether the point you make about disliking lane changes might factor into why some drivers avoid the right lane—they don't want to come into conflict with, and then either have to change lanes for or slow down for, drivers entering the highway. I might be giving those people too much credit, though, because I also tend to suspect the average driver doesn't think about anyone but himself and doesn't give a damn about anyone else's convenience but his own.

A great comment, because it plays both ways.  The bitching about center lane camping comes from drivers don't think about anyone but themselves and don't give a damn about anyone else's convenience or comfort level but their own.

tmoore952

Quote from: wanderer2575 on October 18, 2023, 10:53:00 AM

A great comment, because it plays both ways.  The bitching about center lane camping comes from drivers don't think about anyone but themselves and don't give a damn about anyone else's convenience or comfort level but their own.

I also think this is a great comment because I have gotten to a point where I do care about other people's convenience, safety, comfort level etc. (think of things like not following too closely, or moving to center lane when a heavy merge from the right is approaching) and then I get to a "why bother" point because you sense that many people don't return the favor, and you don't know if they are being oblivious or being provocative. A lot of times I sense provocative.

webny99

Oh, I couldn't possibly disagree more. The disdain for center lane camping has nothing at all to do with one's own comfort and convenience level. You can't possibly believe that a driver that doesn't lane camp - in other words, makes regular lane changes depending on their speed and traffic conditions around them - does so because it's more comfortable and convenient for them. In fact it's all about making things better for everyone on the road and improving the overall efficiency of the roadway.

RobbieL2415

Quote from: webny99 on October 18, 2023, 11:13:39 AM

Oh, I couldn't possibly disagree more. The disdain for center lane camping has nothing at all to do with one's own comfort and convenience level. You can't possibly believe that a driver that doesn't lane camp - in other words, makes regular lane changes depending on their speed and traffic conditions around them - does so because it's more comfortable and convenient for them. In fact it's all about making things better for everyone on the road and improving the overall efficiency of the roadway.

I'll say this -- I think that most center lane camping happens because drivers go into a vegetative driving state and just lose all sense of awareness about their surroundings.

JCinSummerfield

In urban areas, the right lane becomes congested with entering/exiting vehicles driving slower than the speed limit.  In rural areas, I find the right lane to be the fastest.

hbelkins

I freely admit to being a center lane camper, especially on that stretch of I-64 between Winchester and Lexington. I feel safer in the center lane. If I am in the right or left lane and I want to move into the center lane, I have to check to be sure that there isn't another vehicle vying for the same piece of real estate that I want to occupy. I typically drive five to seven miles over the speed limit anyway, so it's not like I'm impeding anyone's progress. And there's generally enough slower traffic in the right lane that I'm constantly passing someone.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

roadman65

Welcome to I-4 in Central Florida. Center Lane campers always especially with semis.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

index

At least in North Carolina as of 2018, in drivers' ed they teach you that on a road with three lanes going the same direction, the center lane is for thru travel, the left lane is for passing, and the right lane is for merging, exiting, or entering traffic. On a road with frequently merging traffic, or if you're going faster than the right lane I don't see it to be unreasonable to camp in the center lane.

Even if not, I really don't care so long as you're not blocking the left lane or doing something in the center lane which would impede traffic wanting to pass you from getting in the left lane. I guess it's sort of a grey area.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

kphoger

Everybody does it, all the time, everywhere.  And I hate it.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

MikieTimT

Quote from: index on October 18, 2023, 01:47:25 PM
At least in North Carolina as of 2018, in drivers' ed they teach you that on a road with three lanes going the same direction, the center lane is for thru travel, the left lane is for passing, and the right lane is for merging, exiting, or entering traffic. On a road with frequently merging traffic, or if you're going faster than the right lane I don't see it to be unreasonable to camp in the center lane.

Even if not, I really don't care so long as you're not blocking the left lane or doing something in the center lane which would impede traffic wanting to pass you from getting in the left lane. I guess it's sort of a grey area.

And this is typically why I get to the middle lane soon after entering a 3x3 Interstate.  Most of them don't exist except in suburban or urban areas, and typically have an entrance/exit ramp pretty well every mile.  And since I'm considerate of those attempting to merge onto the Interstate by giving them the right lane to merge onto without coming to a full stop at the end of the entrance ramp, it would necessitate a near constant state of lane changes, which are actually more detrimental to traffic flow than keeping a lane and keeping up with traffic in it.  Right lanes in suburban/urban areas are pretty much for local traffic where you can actually find a 3x3 or greater with the leftmost lanes for thru traffic.

kphoger

With rare exceptions, if someone passes you in the right lane, then you shouldn't have been in the center lane.

a.  If traffic is so light that someone already in the right lane can just tootle on past you on that side, then traffic is light enough that there's no reason for you to not have been in the right lane to begin with.

b.  If traffic is so heavy that faster traffic is passing you on both sides, then you are impeding the flow of traffic by not being in the right lane to begin with.

c.  If entering/exiting traffic is so thick at your location that keeping to the center lane is actually necessary, then probably nobody is passing you on the right anyway, so my initial assertion does not apply.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Quote from: MikieTimT on October 18, 2023, 02:36:53 PM

And this is typically why I get to the middle lane soon after entering a 3x3 Interstate.  Most of them don't exist except in suburban or urban areas, and typically have an entrance/exit ramp pretty well every mile.  And since I'm considerate of those attempting to merge onto the Interstate by giving them the right lane to merge onto without coming to a full stop at the end of the entrance ramp, it would necessitate a near constant state of lane changes, which are actually more detrimental to traffic flow than keeping a lane and keeping up with traffic in it.  Right lanes in suburban/urban areas are pretty much for local traffic where you can actually find a 3x3 or greater with the leftmost lanes for thru traffic.

The problem is when this mindset is applied to rural six-lane freeways, which are increasing in number across the country. These freeways don't necessarily have frequent exits and are heavily used by long-distance traffic. They can be frustrating to drive when KRETP is not adhered to, because they're so busy that a single passing lane is not sufficient, so lineups form on the left while large sporadic gaps form on the right. This makes cruise-setting all but impossible.

Some examples include much of the Ohio Turnpike, I-71 between Cleveland and Columbus, I-75 south of Atlanta, I-84 between Hartford and the Mass Pike, I-95 between Baltimore and Wilmington, the aforementioned QEW between Hamilton and Niagara Falls, and ON 400 between Vaughan and Barrie.

RobbieL2415

But the issue is when people camp in the center lane and move at the the same speed as the right land and/or drive adjacent to a vehicle in the right lane. I don't feel as though I should have to shift two lanes to pass someone in the right lane AND the center lane.

triplemultiplex

Center lane campers on rural 3 lane freeways can get bent.  Keep right except to pass, fuckers! This means you!
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

tmoore952

Quote from: webny99 on October 18, 2023, 03:13:26 PM
The problem is when this mindset is applied to rural six-lane freeways, which are increasing in number across the country. These freeways don't necessarily have frequent exits and are heavily used by long-distance traffic. They can be frustrating to drive when KRETP is not adhered to, because they're so busy that a single passing lane is not sufficient, so lineups form on the left while large sporadic gaps form on the right. This makes cruise-setting all but impossible.

Some examples include much of the Ohio Turnpike, I-71 between Cleveland and Columbus, I-75 south of Atlanta, I-84 between Hartford and the Mass Pike, I-95 between Baltimore and Wilmington, the aforementioned QEW between Hamilton and Niagara Falls, and ON 400 between Vaughan and Barrie.

I'm not sure I would refer to I-95 between Baltimore and Wilmington as rural. That's the only interstate between those two cities (for 95% of that distance, between Baltimore and I-295 interchange), and it serves the entire I-95 corridor traffic. When you get to the Wilmington-Trenton axis, you have three and/or four limited access highways serving that corridor (I-95, I-495 in Delaware only, I-295 and the NJ Turnpike). But down there, it's the only one. I used to drive from DC to Wilmington often to visit family, and I would avoid I-95 most of the time because if something happened on it, there is no good alternative. My go-to alternative actually was US 1 north of Baltimore (and then cut south at Kennett Square), not US 40.

When I did venture to drive that stretch of I-95, I used to stay in the right lane all the time and I still got scared s***less more than I care to mention because of crazy passing and much-too-high speeds.

The word "rural" to me suggests something like central Illinois, although I know that's not what you meant.

fwydriver405

Out of the six New England states... only Maine (Title 29-A, Chapter 19, subchapter 1, §2052, section 6) and Massachusetts (MGL Chapter 89 Section 4B) have "keep all the way to the right, except to pass" laws, prohibiting left or centre lane hogging. In Maine, that law only applies if the roadway speed limit is 105 km/h (65 mph) or higher, whereas in Massachusetts it applies to any road type based on MGL.

In practice, both "keep ALL the way to the right" laws in MA/ME are really never enforced and are routinely violated. I don't know what's taught in driver's ed in Massachusetts about lane discipline, but at least in Maine, driver's ed tought us that the middle lane(s) is usually the smoothest if there are 3+ lanes are going in one directon, in contrast to what state law says as quoted below in the drivers manual:

Quote from: Maine Motorist Handbook, pages 6-8 and 6-9Use of Lanes

Lanes for Through Traffic: If there are three or more lanes going in one direction, the middle lane, or lanes, is usually the smoothest. The left lane is for drivers who want to pass or turn left. The right lane is used by drivers who go slower or who are entering or turning off the road.

Despite the laws in both MA and ME saying drivers should keep to the right, it doesn't say what a driver should do if other drivers fail to keep to the right; ergo, it doesn't outlaw passing on the right (undertaking). To my knowledge, all six of the New England states permit undertaking on most multi-lane highways.

In Massachusetts, I'm curious to how their "keep ALL the way to the right" law applies on sections of I-93 and Route 3 where breakdown lane travel is permitted during specified times of the day to increase capacity. Only ask as every time I drive on 93 in that section during PM rush hour... the lane discipline is unbalanced where the left/middle lane is slow and the right and breakdown lanes are actually moving faster. I wouldn't think it would apply there since that lane is "designated for purposes other than ordinary travel", and especially since trucks are prohibited from using that lane when active.

kphoger

Quote from: fwydriver405 on October 18, 2023, 05:00:54 PM
Despite the laws in both MA and ME saying drivers should keep to the right, it doesn't say what a driver should do if other drivers fail to keep to the right; ergo, it doesn't outlaw passing on the right (undertaking). To my knowledge, all six of the New England states permit undertaking on most multi-lane highways.

I'm not aware of any state that prohibits using the right lane to pass someone.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.