News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Old state abbreviation usage

Started by roadman65, August 05, 2019, 12:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/48462562916/in/dateposted-public/

Any others that are old school abbreviations like Ark instead of AR, or Mass instead of MA?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

oscar

Ohio is sometimes abbreviated as "O.", though I don't have photos on hand.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Brandon

Quote from: oscar on August 05, 2019, 01:02:45 PM

Such as "Columbus O." as used to be found in Indianapolis on the bgss.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

hbelkins

Lots of "Penna" Turnpike signs still around.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

chays

This reminds me of one of my favorite comedy bits.  6+ minutes of comedy about state abbreviations.

1995hoo

Quote from: hbelkins on August 05, 2019, 01:16:25 PM

There used to be an overhead LGS pull-through sign on the former I-95 near Trenton that used "Penna" as the control "city." I have no idea whether the sign is still there, nor whether they would have simply stuck an I-295 shield over the I-95 shield or whether they would have replaced the whole sign.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Big John

Wisconsin boat registration uses WS as the state abbreviation.

GaryV

Quote from: Big John on August 05, 2019, 01:45:11 PM
Wisconsin boat registration uses WS as the state abbreviation.

And Michigan uses MC.

As long as were're not mailing the boats, what does it matter?

bulldog1979

Wikipedia has a useful list of U.S. state abbreviations that includes the Coast Guard's vessel number prefix abbreviations as well as the various traditional abbreviations.

Brandon

Illinois (IDOT and ISTHA) commonly uses the older "ILL" and "Ill" on signage for state routes.
Examples would be like: "ILL Route 53" and "Ill Route 53".
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

kphoger

I see KA for Kansas once in a blue moon.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

CNGL-Leudimin

So once in about 11.7 nanohertz according to Mr. Google?

I use "Cali" for California, which is not included in the Wikipedia list linked above.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

marleythedog

I know that the approaches to the Fort Steuben Bridge in Steubenville were signed "Weirton, W.Va.," but it's been demolished and I can't find any other examples.

Years ago, I seem to recall some Indiana I-70 signage having a control city of "Columbus, O.H.," which isn't old school so much as just incorrect.

US 89

I-84 near Twin Falls, Idaho. Taken in 2010; looks like this sign disappeared during an interchange reconstruction sometime between 2012 and 2015. The second control city is now Sun Valley.

jp the roadgeek

My mom still writes Conn instead of CT.

CTDOT uses Mass in a couple of cases. 

https://goo.gl/maps/EWPgBAryurH3hVwn7

https://goo.gl/maps/n1FM14Ys98ES1TNQ7

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

DandyDan

I would be curious to know what Iowa's would be. Did they even have one? Since I moved here, every piece of mail my mother has sent me says Mason City, Iowa.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

roadman65

Quote from: oscar on August 05, 2019, 01:02:45 PM
in 1989 WV used it on a sign in Huntington for the US 52 bridge across the Ohio River.  Do not know if it was on US 52 or even I-64, but Chesapeake, O was written out.

Yes Indy used to use Columbus, O to distinguish it from Columbus, IN which is south on I-65 from there.  Columbus, OH is east on I-70, though both OH and IN now use Dayton as a control city and newer signs reflect that.  A few were still around in 2008 when I was there last.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

tdindy88

A fairly new sign was installed when they rebuilt the South Split that keeps Columbus OH as the control city for I-70, but this is probably an outlier, still it is a new sign so Columbus will remain the control city at least somewhere.

https://goo.gl/maps/QDsxxAgkZUvSAZYM6

SP Cook

West Virginia has no rhyme or reason to Ohio.  I have seen "OH" "O" "Ohio" and "Oh".  The rest seem to be the standard two capital letters from the USPS, although the usage is inconsistent.  Sometimes Columbus is just Columbus, sometimes it gets an Ohio, but Washington, a small town in Pennsylvania, is fine by itself in Morgantown, even though the capital of the United States is on the opposite interstate.

Before I-77 and Corridor Q were built in Virginia, Virginia had mileage signs not to Princeton but to "W. VA. TURNPIKE" on the predecessor roads.  Some of these are still around.

briantroutman

Quote from: hbelkins on August 05, 2019, 01:16:25 PM

Those aren't merely stragglers. "PENNA"  is still standard for the Turnpike's sign-mounted keystone shields (like this recently installed sign at the I-95 interchange) as well as the insignias used on PTC vehicles, equipment, letterhead, etc.

The PTC does use "PA"  on its numbered non-Interstate markers, however–such as 43 and 66.

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 05, 2019, 01:38:45 PM
There used to be an overhead LGS pull-through sign on the former I-95 near Trenton that used "Penna" as the control "city."

There's also the "New York City - VIA PENNA"   signage at the I-80/I-76 "bump"  in Ohio.

hbelkins

Quote from: marleythedog on August 05, 2019, 07:38:50 PM
I know that the approaches to the Fort Steuben Bridge in Steubenville were signed "Weirton, W.Va.," but it's been demolished and I can't find any other examples.

Years ago, I seem to recall some Indiana I-70 signage having a control city of "Columbus, O.H.," which isn't old school so much as just incorrect.

"Huntington. W. Va." is in use on either US 52 or OH 7, or both, just north of the river.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

sparker

Back in the '50's and into the early '60's the term "Calif." (more often with than without the period) was used in newspapers and magazines in reference to, of course, California.  Obviously not utilized in the broadcast media, it disappeared about the time that the two-letter state references became S.O.P. for more than simply mail delivery.  I didn't hear the term "Cali" until the late '70's; and not commonly for at least another ten years after that. 

hotdogPi

I'm interested to know if anything exists (doesn't have to be road-related) using the original two-letter abbreviation for Nebraska. When they were created in 1963, Nebraska was NB; it was changed to NE in 1969 to avoid conflicts with New Brunswick.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

sandwalk

Brian556

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.