News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Del. I-495 emergency closure

Started by Alps, June 02, 2014, 08:09:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHLBOS

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on February 18, 2015, 02:08:16 PM
I seem to recall that the route numbers were swapped and then reswapped some time in the past.
It was as part of an I-95 construction project during the late 70s; though for some reason I-895 was used for the I-95 section instead of I-495.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

Quote from: ekt8750 on February 18, 2015, 01:58:06 PM
True but 495 seems to be better equipped to handle through mainline traffic than 95 is. Hell anyone coming from the south to NY is encouraged to take the Del Mem Br ( :-D) and 295/NJTP up instead of staying on 95.

That's not the same thing.   You're referring to control cities, not highway numbering destinations.

cpzilliacus

DelawareOnline.com: I-495 bridge damage: Delaware tries to recover costs

QuoteThe Delaware Department of Transportation is moving ahead with an attempt to recover some of the nearly $43 million spent on I-495 emergency bridge repairs in Wilmington last year, drawing up a demand for insurance coverage details from those potentially responsible for damaging the span.

QuoteAlma Properties LLC, Port Contractors and owners of Keogh Contracting are targets in the coverage demand, said DelDOT spokesman Geoff Sundstrom.

QuoteOfficials with the companies could not be reached Wednesday.

QuoteState officials on June 2 ordered the I-495 bridge over the Christina River shut down in east Wilmington after lanes were found to be tilting along northbound and southbound approach spans immediately south of the waterway.

QuoteHuge backups developed in the first days of the detour as motorists were caught without good alternatives. Long snarls continued, especially during rush hours, throughout the summer.

QuoteAn investigation tied the shifting to an unauthorized soil stockpile dumped by Keogh alongside key bridge supports. The mass of material compressed soft soils around deep foundation piles, damaging them and the bases of some concrete supports, throwing the spans off balance.

QuoteKeogh is owned by James B. Thomas Jr., son of a founder of Port Contractors, the company that leased the DuPont Co.-owned land where Keogh dumped the soil. Port Contractors also has an interest in Alma, which owns land in the area and was reported to have dealt with Keogh for unrelated operations nearby.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.