News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

I-73 in VA

Started by 74/171FAN, June 04, 2009, 07:50:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: 74/171FAN on July 11, 2024, 10:03:43 AMI moved the WillWeaverRVA's post here on I-73 being discussed by the CTB next week.  However, if anyone wants to discuss the other items in the general Virginia thread (such as the Powhite Parkway), please do so.

That's what I happens when I don't look hard enough for the existing topic.  :-D
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

The Ghostbuster

I have the feeling that constructing Interstate 73 within the state of Virginia was always a pipe dream, even though I think it should eventually be done. Since environmental studies were completed, no movements have been made towards the corridor (since it ranks at the bottom of viable projects, and still faces strong opposition as well), and I doubt the CTB meeting will change anything.

PColumbus73

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on July 11, 2024, 11:30:14 AMI have the feeling that constructing Interstate 73 within the state of Virginia was always a pipe dream, even though I think it should eventually be done. Since environmental studies were completed, no movements have been made towards the corridor (since it ranks at the bottom of viable projects, and still faces strong opposition as well), and I doubt the CTB meeting will change anything.

Taking the whole Michigan - South Carolina route into consideration, the Virginia section is rather pointless. Why take I-73 and make a hard right-angle turn in Roanoke when you could shave time and distance by using I-74 / 77?

Assuming I-73/74 north of West Virginia officially dies, I see the potential for I-73 to create a simplified connection between I-81 & 95, without the climb that I-77 does in Fancy Gap. If they changed the narrative of I-73 from 'connecting the Great Lakes to the Ocean' to 'Taking through traffic off of I-95 and out of Richmond and DC', maybe it would sell better?

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on July 11, 2024, 11:30:14 AMI have the feeling that constructing Interstate 73 within the state of Virginia was always a pipe dream, even though I think it should eventually be done. Since environmental studies were completed, no movements have been made towards the corridor (since it ranks at the bottom of viable projects, and still faces strong opposition as well), and I doubt the CTB meeting will change anything.

Indeed, the presentation about I-73 is now up and the recommendation is to rescind CTB's approval of the I-73 corridor pending a new EIS. This ain't happening.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

plain

I-73 in Virginia makes since only south of Roanoke, as it would connect that city (and I -81 of course) to the Triad. But building it would be very difficult, as been pointed out countless times already.

North (West :rolleyes:) of Roanoke is pointless, unless there's a desire to connect Roanoke to the WV Tpk directly. I don't see the need for that, not to mention it would be even more difficult to build such.
Newark born, Richmond bred

vdeane

Let's appreciate that the identified route for I-73 in VA doesn't include the Martinsville Southern Connector at all.  How wasteful.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Henry

Quote from: plain on July 12, 2024, 02:03:29 PMI-73 in Virginia makes since only south of Roanoke, as it would connect that city (and I -81 of course) to the Triad. But building it would be very difficult, as been pointed out countless times already.

North (West :rolleyes:) of Roanoke is pointless, unless there's a desire to connect Roanoke to the WV Tpk directly. I don't see the need for that, not to mention it would be even more difficult to build such.
Roanoke got the easiest part out of the way when they built I-581. Building I-73 between there and Martinsville will definitely be a challenge, which is another reason to believe that the project was a bust from the start. Outside NC, nothing has been constructed so far, nor will it be for a very long time.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

sprjus4

Quote from: vdeane on July 12, 2024, 09:45:52 PMLet's appreciate that the identified route for I-73 in VA doesn't include the Martinsville Southern Connector at all.  How wasteful.
I-73 was studied first. The MSC came several years later, and in my opinion makes more sense even for the whole I-73 corridor between NC and Roanoke because it would use a good portion of the existing Martinsville bypass as opposed to building a new, parallel one.

The existing bypass is mostly interstate grade, only lacking the shoulders and maybe some geometric improvements in spot areas, but would be significantly cheaper to upgrade than bypassing it. It already handles a 65 mph speed limit.

froggie

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on July 11, 2024, 08:54:36 AMLooks like the CTB is going to be discussing I-73 during their meeting next week.

Looking through the presentation, VDOT is recommending rescinding both the I-73 EIS and the HCA (Henry County Alternative alignment).  They'd have to redo the EIS at this point anyway since even the HCA was well over a decade ago.

Nevermind that, in the same CTB meeting, VDOT is recommending retention of the Martinsville Southern Connector project, which relocates US 220 mostly west of its existing alignment between the NC line and the Martinsville bypass.  If they're keeping the MSC, it's pointless to continue to recommend having I-73 go east of the city.

MBHockey13

Quote from: froggie on July 13, 2024, 06:39:04 AM
Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on July 11, 2024, 08:54:36 AMLooks like the CTB is going to be discussing I-73 during their meeting next week.

Looking through the presentation, VDOT is recommending rescinding both the I-73 EIS and the HCA (Henry County Alternative alignment).  They'd have to redo the EIS at this point anyway since even the HCA was well over a decade ago.

Nevermind that, in the same CTB meeting, VDOT is recommending retention of the Martinsville Southern Connector project, which relocates US 220 mostly west of its existing alignment between the NC line and the Martinsville bypass.  If they're keeping the MSC, it's pointless to continue to recommend having I-73 go east of the city.

https://www.wdbj7.com/2024/07/16/commonwealth-transportation-board-revisits-routing-decision-interstate-73/

QuoteThe board is now considering a recommendation to rescind the 2001 decision that established the corridor for I-73 in Virginia, and confirm the route for the Southern Connector, a new bypass around Martinsville.

Salem District Board Member Ray Smoot said he believes local officials and state lawmakers are on board with those recommendations.

"And that looking at ways that we can enhance transportation in ways that are perhaps fundable in the future and address much of the issues that are trying to be addressed is a good resolution," Smoot said.

Sen. Bill Stanley (R-Franklin Co.) serves on the multi-state I-73 commission. He supports the Southern Connector, and said it could become part of I-73 in the future.

"I think building the Southern Connector first means that we're committed to I-73 over the long haul, but in the short term what we need is that connection between 58 Bypass and I-73 in North Carolina, so I'm not giving up hope," Stanley told WDBJ7 in an interview.

The Southern Connector will require hundreds of millions of dollars, but that's much cheaper than the billions needed for I-73.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.