News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-69 in MS

Started by Grzrd, June 08, 2011, 11:38:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on August 25, 2014, 08:56:05 PM
the Statewide Map (last modified on June 11, 2012)
Quote from: NE2 on October 11, 2014, 03:03:52 AM
Quote from: rte66man on August 29, 2014, 01:52:09 PM
After looking again at the map, why is 69 marked as the Great River Road?  That symbol s/b on US61 instead.
Sloppy cartography. Here's the 2000 map:

It really appears sloppy because the 2011 map has the Great River Road symbol in a location that cannot be confused with I-69:

It's a mystery as to why they would move it back to the 2000 location for the 2012 map.

NE2

Perhaps it was moved in postproduction in 2011, and the files they updated for 2012 had it in the old location.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on October 13, 2014, 12:10:45 PM
the 2011 map has the Great River Road symbol in a location that cannot be confused with I-69 ...
It's a mystery as to why they would move it back to the 2000 location for the 2012 map.
Quote from: NE2 on October 13, 2014, 12:58:41 PM
Perhaps it was moved in postproduction in 2011, and the files they updated for 2012 had it in the old location.

After the above discussion, I wondered why the MDOT website had neither a 2013 map nor a 2014 map.  I called them, and to make a long story short, a 2013-2014 map is currently available in hard copy, but they are having difficulty loading it onto the website (they tried to load it on August 20 and are currently projecting that it will be loaded in January, 2015).  They mailed me the 2013-2014 map, and it appears that the Great River Road symbol has been moved back to the 2011 location that cannot be confused with I-69 (forgive my black-and-white scanner):

Also of note is that the map does not show I-269 (I-69 SIU 9b) construction.

The MDOT representative asked me if I might be able to help with the upload (I do not have that ability).  If anyone wants to assist MDOT, give 'em a call.

Grzrd

Quote from: lordsutch on March 02, 2014, 05:57:00 PM
Quote from: NE2 on March 02, 2014, 03:27:37 PM
Mississippi disagrees wrt I-69 at I-55.
I-55 has C/D lanes and the interchange is much newer (with, I believe, less tight ramps); plus the likely directional split of traffic is different, you have a much later design year in play, and when FHWA signed off on the interchange, the loop routing for I-69 proper via SIU 9 was still a possibility.
But other than that, exactly the same. :)
(above quote from I-69 in KY thread)
Quote from: NE2 on October 01, 2014, 09:12:56 AM
Quote from: froggie on October 01, 2014, 08:55:32 AM
QuotePS: I-69 was built with a cloverleaf loop at I-55 in Mississippi. There's no reason the one in Kentucky can't stay.
PPS:  that was designed and construction began before I-69 was approved.
PPPS: so was the cloverleaf in Kentucky.
(above quote from I-69 Ohio River Bridge thread)
Quote from: Grzrd on February 28, 2013, 04:03:59 PM
The Alliance for I-69 Texas website reports that the TTC made the I-69 designation official today:
The Texas Transportation Commission has given final approval to designation of an additional 28.4 miles of US 59 as part of Interstate 69.
The existing section of US 59 from the south side of Rosenberg in Fort Bend County north to Loop 610 in southwest Houston is now part of the Interstate Highway System and will soon be signed as both I-69 and US 59 .... There were five design issues identified and exceptions were approved by FHWA.
(above quote from I-69 in TX thread)

After reading about the Texas design exceptions that were approved by FHWA in order for US 59 to be designated as I-69, I wondered if FHWA had granted MDOT a design exception in regard to the I-55 cloverleaf ramp.  I emailed FHWA, and the email was eventually forwarded to the FHWA Mississippi Division. I had both an initial question and a followup question.  To make a long story short, a design exception was unnecessary (presumably because of the traffic counts).  The two Q & As are as follows:

Q:  Driving northward on I-69 SIU 10 in Mississippi, one has to take a loop ramp to keep proceeding northward on I-69 SIU 9a (I-55/I-69).  Did FHWA allow this as a permanent design exception for I-69, or has MDOT made a commitment to upgrade the interchange at some point in the future?

A:  The email we received pertains to the design of the I-69 interchange with I-55.  Specifically, you asked about the loop ramp from I-69 to I-55 north.  The interchange was designed to accommodate the projected traffic and in accordance with the current design standards as published by the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO).  Therefore, no design exceptions were necessary for the subject loop ramp.

Q:  I do have a follow-up question. As I understand it, the interchange was designed before the I-69 routing was finalized, which I assume means that there was no need at that time for it to meet FHWA interstate standards and that is why AASHTO design standards were sufficient.  If that interchange were to be built today knowing that it was on the routing of I-69, then would FHWA interstate standards require a flyover ramp in order to keep I-69 from exiting onto itself?  If so, would a design exception based on projected traffic then be necessary today to keep traffic on the loop ramp?

A:  In reference to your follow-up question, the interchange was designed to accommodate the projected traffic and in accordance with AASHTO design standards.  Furthermore, based on current AASHTO guidance no design exceptions are necessary today for interchange type selection.

Since FHWA must certify that a route meets interstate standards before it can receive an interstate designation, I had always thought that FHWA had its own interstate guidelines.  The above responses imply that FHWA applies AASHTO guidelines.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on October 21, 2014, 11:00:15 AM
I wondered why the MDOT website had neither a 2013 map nor a 2014 map.  I called them, and to make a long story short, a 2013-2014 map is currently available in hard copy, but they are having difficulty loading it onto the website (they tried to load it on August 20 and are currently projecting that it will be loaded in January, 2015).  They mailed me the 2013-2014 map, and it appears that the Great River Road symbol has been moved back to the 2011 location that cannot be confused with I-69 (forgive my black-and-white scanner):

MDOT has posted the 2014-15 Statewide Map, (I don't think that they have posted an online archived version of the 2013-14 map) and it looks like the Great River Road symbol has remained in the 2011 location for two consecutive years:

andy3175

Quote from: Grzrd on January 03, 2015, 04:15:30 PM
MDOT has posted the 2014-15 Statewide Map, (I don't think that they have posted an online archived version of the 2013-14 map) and it looks like the Great River Road symbol has remained in the 2011 location for two consecutive years:

To keep this with the thread title, it doesn't seem like there's any changes between last year's and this year's I-69 route. Interestingly, they don't show the AASHTO-approved continuation of I-69 north into TN along I-55, I-240, and I-40, but TN has not yet signed that continuation, either.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

Grzrd

An April 22, 2015 state-by-state status updates presented to the I-69 Congressional Caucus PowerPoint (linked on this page) includes a slide that provides an update on "I-69 in Mississippi" (slide 29/54):

By showing that the I-69 part of SIU 9 and all of SIU 10 are completed (there appears to be a color mismatch for "Completed & Open to Traffic"), that all of the I-269 part of SIU 9 is under construction, and that SIU 12 is primarily in Arkansas, the Mississippi delegation may have been able to put together a relatively persuasive argument that Mississippi has made good progress on I-69 and that it is deserving of Congressional assistance for SIU 11.  More food for thought for the next long-term highway reauthorization.

lordsutch

Quote from: Grzrd on May 13, 2015, 12:32:15 PM
An April 22, 2015 state-by-state status updates presented to the I-69 Congressional Caucus PowerPoint (linked on this page) includes a slide that provides an update on "I-69 in Mississippi" (slide 29/54):

By showing that the I-69 part of SIU 9 and all of SIU 10 are completed (there appears to be a color mismatch for "Completed & Open to Traffic"), that all of the I-269 part of SIU 9 is under construction, and that SIU 12 is primarily in Arkansas, the Mississippi delegation may have been able to put together a relatively persuasive argument that Mississippi has made good progress on I-69 and that it is deserving of Congressional assistance for SIU 11.  More food for thought for the next long-term highway reauthorization.

Unless they've moved the SIU boundary, SIU 12 really starts at MS 1, since otherwise the bridge wouldn't actually connect to a highway on the Mississippi side of the river and thus lack independent utility.

And unless Congress gets back into the earmarking business and "appropriator" stops being a dirty word in DC, the best MDOT can really hope for is getting some design plans and ROW together and winning a federal "shovel ready" grant or two during the next recession, particularly given SIU 11 is almost entirely in a solidly Democratic congressional district that has no pull in Congress these days.

english si

SIU 11 seems to consist of several sections of independent utility, both online upgrades of US61 to bypasses.

Grzrd

This video/ article reports on a recent speech that Mississippi U. S. Senator Roger Wicker gave to the Delta Council in which he touted as an "accomplishment" the "longer term work that will eventually lead to the completion of Interstate 69 through the Mississippi Delta":

The renewed spirit of bipartisanship in the U.S. Senate has helped give new life to legislation such as the Iran nuclear agreement review bill, reform of the No Child Left Behind Act and trade promotion authority.
On a quieter note, bipartisanship has also been at work in the passage of such legislation as the Water Resources Reform and Development Act of 2014, which will help modernize the infrastructure of the country's ports and inland waterways.
"We also now have the same support for making critical upgrades to our roads and bridges,"  says Sen. Roger Wicker, R-Miss., who gave the keynote address at this year's Delta Council annual meeting. "I share the belief of many Delta Council members that infrastructure can drive positive change in our communities and create jobs."
The senator pointed to two accomplishments — the permanent Amtrak stop in Marks, Miss., and the longer term work that will eventually lead to the completion of Interstate 69 through the Mississippi Delta.
"Of course, these roads and rail lines are taking people just anywhere,"  said Wicker. "They are bringing them to one of the most culturally rich places in the world — the Mississippi Delta."  ....

Maybe, as the "accomplishment", the I-69 Congressional Caucus, for the next reauthorization, is working on a mechanism to somehow set aside funding to speed up progress on I-69 not only in Mississippi, but also in Tennessee, Arkansas, and Louisiana.  Such an effort is hinted at in the last bullet point of this slide from the Louisiana section of an an April 22, 2015 state-by-state status updates presented to the I-69 Congressional Caucus PowerPoint (linked on this page (slide 17/54)):

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on June 03, 2015, 12:33:06 PM
This video/ article reports on a recent speech that Mississippi U. S. Senator Roger Wicker gave to the Delta Council in which he touted as an "accomplishment" the "longer term work that will eventually lead to the completion of Interstate 69 through the Mississippi Delta"

In a June 29 op-ed, Senator Wicker suggests that the U.S. Senate EPW Committee's recently introduced DRIVE Act bill could provide funding for I-69 in Mississippi:

The recent introduction of a long-term highway bill is welcome news for communities across the country.
Enactment of a comprehensive, strategic transportation plan would give state and local leaders more certainty to invest in critical upgrades to aging roads and bridges. It also promises to pave the way for much-needed economic growth and job creation.
Titled the "Developing a Reliable and Innovative Vision for the Economy (DRIVE) Act," the bipartisan highway legislation could not come at a more opportune time. Unless Congress acts, federal highway funding is set to expire at the end of July. Since the last long-term transportation bill expired in 2009, Congress has passed dozens of temporary funding extensions. Rather than offering another quick fix, the DRIVE Act would authorize highway funds for the next six years.

Keeping Mississippi Competitive

Infrastructure investment is good for Mississippi. The quality of our roads and bridges is important to keeping Mississippians safe and commerce strong. More than $60 billion in goods move across our state each year. The DRIVE Act recognizes that an efficient transportation network helps us stay economically competitive and keeps costs down for consumers. New freight funding in the bill, for example, could advance projects like Mississippi's Interstate 69. ....
Both political parties recognize the importance of a high-quality transportation system and the role it plays in the well-being of our economy. The DRIVE Act earned approval from every member of the Senate EPW Committee. It now awaits consideration by the Commerce, Finance, and Banking committees before it can come to the Senate floor.
National policies should reflect current challenges, and surface transportation is no exception. Poor infrastructure and congestion affect Americans' everyday lives in profound ways, from the commute to work to the prices at the grocery store. It is past time for a transportation bill that truly invests in our country's long-term success.

thefro

I skimmed the text of the bill and there's $2 billion dollars set aside in 2016, going up to $2.5 billion in 2021 for projects to upgrade the National Freight Network.  The definition of what's eligible for funding seems pretty broad though.

There's also a pool of money for "assistance for major projects (that would cost over $350 million)" that starts at $300 million and ends at $450 million in 2021.  The min. federal grant is $50 million.

Of course, the problem is actually funding the program and other committees are the ones handling that.

The Ghostbuster

Will we ever see any more of Interstate 69 in Mississippi constructed within our lifetimes?

lordsutch

I think the Cleveland bypass has a good chance of being let in the next decade. It's one of the few good-sized towns in the state that doesn't have any sort of bypass already, and I don't think building it would be all that expensive (cheap land, not much topography to deal with, only a few interchanges and overpasses needed). The plans include a spur back to US 61 which I think MDOT plans to extend further southeast to US 82 at US 49W at some point.

If AHTD gets to work on the route east of Monticello it'd probably spur some action in Mississippi too; AHTD might be motivated by improving access to a big defense contractor in Camden which isn't far from the I-69 route.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: lordsutch on July 01, 2015, 01:47:27 AM
I think the Cleveland bypass has a good chance of being let in the next decade. It's one of the few good-sized towns in the state that doesn't have any sort of bypass already, and I don't think building it would be all that expensive (cheap land, not much topography to deal with, only a few interchanges and overpasses needed). The plans include a spur back to US 61 which I think MDOT plans to extend further southeast to US 82 at US 49W at some point.

A spur to extend it to US-82, it could be a revival of the "Grennville Spur" or "I-169" http://www.ajfroggie.com/roads/i169.htm

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on December 22, 2011, 02:10:42 PM
... planned sequential process for SIU 11 (http://sp.mdot.ms.gov/Environmental/District%201%20and%202/Archived%20Projects/Project%20Studies/I-69%20Section%2011%20-%20Robinsonville%20To%20Benoit/Executive%20Summary.pdf). [summary of progression is on page 9/18 of the pdf; page S-9 of the document]:
Subsequent to selection of the Preferred Alternative, the project was reviewed to consider the applicability of recent guidance on major projects receiving federal funding. Construction of the proposed I-69 SUI 11 is envisioned to be phased over the next 19 years. Therefore, the project was determined to consist of five distinct and operationally independent phases. The five phases (sections) are detailed in Appendix G and summarized as follows:
Section 1: 18.465 miles, SR 304 Interchange to South of SR 4 Interchange
Anticipated Letting Date: 2016
Section 2: 31.549 miles, South of SR 4 Interchange to North of SR 6 Interchange
Anticipated Letting Date: 2022
Section 3: 48.160 miles, North of SR 6 Interchange to South of SR 446 Interchange
Anticipated Letting Date: 2019
Section 4: 22.807 miles, South of SR 446 Interchange to Great River Bridge
Anticipated Letting Date: 2026
Section 5: 17.764 miles, SR 1 at Rosedale to Cleveland
Anticipated Letting Date: 2029
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on June 30, 2015, 07:44:45 PM
Will we ever see any more of Interstate 69 in Mississippi constructed within our lifetimes?

Several years ago, it looked like completing I-69 to Tunica was the highest prioritized section.  I do not know if that is still the case.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on July 04, 2013, 04:34:36 PM
... the transition from N/S SIU 9 to E/W SIU 10 makes references to I-69 in this June 16 article about the proposed east-west widening of Star Landing Road of about six miles from Tulane Road west of I-55/69 to Getwell Road east of I-55/69, and which includes a proposed new interchange for I-55/69, a situation in which the reader has to be aware of I-69's route, and overlap with I-55, through that area:
Some 100 Star Landing residents and landowners were specifically invited to a recent public session in Southaven on the Star Landing Corridor.
... the proposed east-west widening of about six miles from Tulane Road in the west to Getwell Road on the county's east ....
Public comments will be incorporated into an environmental assessment ....
The deadline for completion of the assessment is May 2014 ... any "dirt work"  may be four or five years away, provided funding is available ....
"A widened, safer Star Landing may be the primary road they'll use in the future between I-69 and Church Road."  ....
In 2011, the average daily traffic count for Star Landing Road was 3,200. The figure is forecast by MDOT to soar to 37,000 vehicles per day between U.S. 51 and Interstate 55, due to planned developments along U.S. 51 and Star Landing and the addition of the proposed I-69 interchange at Star Landing.
Meanwhile, traffic on Church and Goodman roads also is expected to soar ....
early studies for the Star Landing project envision ... a landscaped parkway of 22 miles, capped by a diamond-type interchange at I-55.
Quote from: lordsutch on September 05, 2015, 12:32:59 AM
Nail Rd and Star Landing Rd intersect I-55/69, not I-269.
(bottom quote from Interstate 269 thread)

This article, primarily about the proposed McIngvale Road interchange on I-269, also briefly mentions the proposed Star Landing interchange on I-55/69 and the possibility of an interchange for Nail Road on I-55/69:

A long-sought McIngvale interstate exit at Hernando may be just around the corner, said Mississippi Northern District Transportation Commissioner Mike Tagert.
"It's possible within the next year" that a state and federal go-ahead could arrive, said Tagert.
He was in DeSoto County on Thursday to lead local and federal officials on a tour of Interstate 69/269 construction ....
And the needs don't stop at McIngvale.
Horn Lake Mayor Allen Latimer said, "What I'd also like to see is an interchange on Nail Road and for Starlanding. With all the development going on, this will help Southaven as well as Horn Lake to relieve congestion."

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on September 05, 2015, 11:28:34 AM
Quote from: Grzrd on July 04, 2013, 04:34:36 PM
this June 16 article about the proposed east-west widening of Star Landing Road of about six miles from Tulane Road west of I-55/69 to Getwell Road east of I-55/69, and which includes a proposed new interchange for I-55/69 ... :
... the proposed east-west widening of about six miles from Tulane Road in the west to Getwell Road on the county's east ....
early studies for the Star Landing project envision ... a landscaped parkway of 22 miles, capped by a diamond-type interchange at I-55.
.... This article ... briefly mentions the proposed Star Landing interchange on I-55/69 and the possibility of an interchange for Nail Road on I-55/69:
Horn Lake Mayor Allen Latimer said, "What I'd also like to see is an interchange on Nail Road and for Starlanding. With all the development going on, this will help Southaven as well as Horn Lake to relieve congestion."

The Memphis Urban Area MPO 2014-17 Transportation Improvement Program ("TIP") contains preliminary engineering and ROW plans to widen six miles of Star Landing Road that cross I-55/69 (p. 48/150 of pdf: p. 37 of document):

Maybe construction of an interchange will be coordinated with the widening construction.

As probable as a Star Landing interchange seems to be, this April 8, 2014 TV video reports that the possible Nail Road interchange at I-55/69 is unlikely for two primary reasons: (1) lack of MDOT money, and (2) the location of the proposed interchange is too close to two currently existing interchanges:

... the idea of an interstate interchange at Nail Road and I-55 that would come in just to the South of Southaven Towne Center.
DeSoto County leaders have pushed the idea for years, but learned at a recent economic development meeting, it will probably never happen ....
Not only would it bring new traffic, and potentially more business to Horn Lake and Southaven, it would also connect Nail that's split by I-55.
So what's the problem?
Transportation officials say Nail Road sits too close to Goodman, about a half mile to the north, and Church, about a mile to the south, and the three interchanges would sit too close together.
Mississippi Transportation leaders say they don't have the money
, and there's no way the Federal Highway Administration will pay for it.
Horn Lake Mayor Allen Latimer says it's a critical project for his city.
" It is a major economic development issue with us."
While there's some hope an overpass will connect Nail, Latimer says that's not good enough, " I want an interchange." ....
DeSoto leaders say they don't intend to give up their pursuit of the project.

I think a Nail Road interchange would certainly be lower in priority than a Star Landing interchange.

lordsutch

The only way a full interchange at Nail Road is viable is with a C/D setup. Maybe something south-facing only would work, but I'd imagine most of the traffic that would want to get on/off at Nail (to access the shopping center east of I-55 without dealing with Goodman Road/SR 302 traffic) is from the north.

And that would be ridiculously expensive and too late to include in whatever widening is planned for Real Soon Now.

yakra

Texas style frontage roads, mumble mumble...
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: yakra on September 19, 2015, 02:39:29 AM

I won't be surprised to see that coming, MSDOT did a setup similar to Texas service roads on I-55 between Lake Castle Road and West Jackson Street at Madison, just north of Jackson. http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=32.44431,-90.13560&z=15&t=M

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on September 06, 2015, 01:59:47 PM
this April 8, 2014 TV video reports that the possible Nail Road interchange at I-55/69 is unlikely for two primary reasons: (1) lack of MDOT money, and (2) the location of the proposed interchange is too close to two currently existing interchanges:
Transportation officials say Nail Road sits too close to Goodman, about a half mile to the north, and Church, about a mile to the south, and the three interchanges would sit too close together.
Quote from: lordsutch on September 07, 2015, 11:35:28 PM
The only way a full interchange at Nail Road is viable is with a C/D setup. Maybe something south-facing only would work, but I'd imagine most of the traffic that would want to get on/off at Nail (to access the shopping center east of I-55 without dealing with Goodman Road/SR 302 traffic) is from the north.
And that would be ridiculously expensive and too late to include in whatever widening is planned for Real Soon Now.

This article reports that Real Soon Now is rapidly approaching with MDOT planning to widen I-55/69 to ten lanes from Church Road northward and to rework the Church Road interchange, but there are apparently no plans to provide direct access to Nail Road:

Mississippi plans to widen Interstate 55 in Southaven to 10 lanes and build a new interchange to serve the Tanger regional mall going up at Church Road.
The Memphis suburb's road work, which could begin in 2018 and conclude in four years
, would rank as one of the largest highway projects under way in Mississippi ....
Southaven Mayor Darren Musselwhite has said widening I-55 and building a new interchange could cost about $160 million, although highway engineers have not yet released a final estimate, said Jason Scott, spokesman for the Mississippi Department of Transportation.
"The large-scale project is widening I-55 from Church to just south of Goodman. As part of that project we are going to rework the interchange at I-55 and Church,"  Scott said. "One possible option is a cloverleaf with a loop inside the cloverleaf at the southeast quadrant of the interchange.''
Spurring the project is the traffic anticipated at the regional mall being built in Southaven just east of I-55 at Church Road. Tanger Factory Outlet Centers Inc. of Greensboro, North Carolina, said it expects to open the 1,000-employee mall on Nov. 20 ....
The freeway presently is six to eight lanes in Memphis between Interstate 240 and Southaven, and up to 10 lanes in Southaven up to Goodman Road, where it becomes four lanes. South of Church the freeway would remain four lanes.
I-269 intersects I-55 about five miles south of Church. I-269 is the outer loop being built 24 miles across the suburban Mississippi counties to connect with Tenn. 385 at Collierville. The Mississippi portion is scheduled for completion in 2018.

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on September 21, 2015, 01:04:15 PM
I won't be surprised to see that coming, MSDOT did a setup similar to Texas service roads on I-55 between Lake Castle Road and West Jackson Street at Madison, just north of Jackson. http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=32.44431,-90.13560&z=15&t=M

I wonder if MDOT even considered a possible frontage road option for this project several years ago?

cbalducc

I didn't think it was very long that the current I-55/Goodman Road interchange was built in Southaven.  There should have already been a project to widen I-55 from there to Hwy. 305/I-69 long ago.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on June 08, 2011, 11:38:59 PM
Clarksdale has recently installed "Future I-69 Corridor" signs along part of the SIU 11 corridor:
http://www.pressregister.com/articles/2011/04/06/news/doc4d9b12f614e3d422793615.txt
The unveiling of the "Future I-69"  signs on the U.S. Highway 61 Bypass signals that Clarksdale will become part of the interstate system stretching from Canada to Mexico, Northern Highway Commissioner Mike Tagert observed Friday.
"The sign is not a small thing,"  said Tagert. "It's a game changer for the Mississippi Delta that starts the momentum for the future."
Quote from: Grzrd on December 22, 2011, 02:10:42 PM
... planned sequential process for SIU 11 (http://sp.mdot.ms.gov/Environmental/District%201%20and%202/Archived%20Projects/Project%20Studies/I-69%20Section%2011%20-%20Robinsonville%20To%20Benoit/Executive%20Summary.pdf). [summary of progression is on page 9/18 of the pdf; page S-9 of the document]:
... Construction of the proposed I-69 SUI 11 is envisioned to be phased over the next 19 years ... The five phases (sections) are detailed in Appendix G and summarized as follows:
Section 3: 48.160 miles, North of SR 6 Interchange to South of SR 446 Interchange
Anticipated Letting Date: 2019
Quote from: Stephane Dumas on September 21, 2015, 01:04:15 PM

This November 3 article (behind paywall) reports on Clarksdale's attempt to annex land along U.S. 61/ Future I-69 and includes an assessment from one individual that frontage roads would be part of the conversion to I-69 (although not any time in the foreseeable future; that said, construction on the "North of SR 6 Interchange to South of SR 446 Interchange" phase of SIU 11 is currently scheduled to be the second construction phase of SIU 11, beginning in 2019*):

Attorneys for the county presented their case through Wednesday of last week, and the annexation trial is continued until Dec. 7, at which point counsel for the Town of Lyon and Coahoma County will call more witnesses and continue presenting its case in chief. Last week, the county called, as witnesses, Lyon mayor Woody Sawyer, Cliff Heaton, Bobo Kato, Lyon alderman Allen Foster, Jimmy Williams, the county fire chief, county administrator Daniel Vassel, Coahoma County Sheriff Deputy Fernando Bee, XXX Long, the director of public works for the Town of Lyon, and county supervisors Chris Overton and Dr. Roger Weiner. "They all did a good job,"  said attorney Jerry Mills ....
the area of Highway 61 Clarksdale wants to annex, which includes Shady Nook, is attractive to the city because of the potential development of Interstate 69. But Mills noted that development of I-69 isn't going to occur without any frontage roads. He added that Vassel testified he didn't think he'd see the development of that interstate this far south during his lifetime.
As the city attorney for Ridgeland and Byrum, Mills said that experience "gives me a good base for how cities should operate."  "Clarksdale has problems larger than any municipality I've worked for or against,"  Mills said. "One of the things we're going to be putting on is the rate of decline in Clarksdale is related to out-migration."  He said Clarksdale has a higher rate of births than deaths, and therefore, the decline in population is due to people leaving the city. In the years between census population counts, the US Census Bureau estimates population annually, and Mills said in 2014, they estimated Clarksdale''s population to be right at 17,011 people, which Mills said would reflect a 900-person decline in four years. "At that rate, Clarksdale is losing 4 ½ people a week,"  Mills said. As the city and county go back and forth, call witnesses, crunch numbers and provide boxes of exhibits and evidence to support their claims, Mills said that "Lyon is in the fight of its life"  during this trial. Mills also offered his opinion on the case as a whole. "My assessment of this case is that Clarkdale is attempting to annex its way to prosperity, and it can't be done,"  Mills said.

Clarksdale appears to be in a slow decline and is hoping that Future I-69 can at least slow the decline.

* This timetable is probably broken until Mississippi can find a way to increase its transportation funding.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on September 05, 2015, 11:28:34 AM
This article, primarily about the proposed McIngvale Road interchange on I-269, also briefly mentions the proposed Star Landing interchange on I-55/69 and the possibility of an interchange for Nail Road on I-55/69:
Horn Lake Mayor Allen Latimer said, "What I'd also like to see is an interchange on Nail Road and for Starlanding.
Quote from: Grzrd on September 06, 2015, 01:59:47 PM
this April 8, 2014 TV video reports that the possible Nail Road interchange at I-55/69 is unlikely for two primary reasons: (1) lack of MDOT money, and (2) the location of the proposed interchange is too close to two currently existing interchanges:
... the idea of an interstate interchange at Nail Road and I-55 that would come in just to the South of Southaven Towne Center.
DeSoto County leaders have pushed the idea for years, but learned at a recent economic development meeting, it will probably never happen ....
Horn Lake Mayor Allen Latimer says it's a critical project for his city.
" It is a major economic development issue with us."
While there's some hope an overpass will connect Nail, Latimer says that's not good enough, I want an interchange."
DeSoto leaders say they don't intend to give up their pursuit of the project.
Quote from: Grzrd on October 29, 2015, 08:46:02 AM
This article reports that ... MDOT planning to widen I-55/69 to ten lanes from Church Road northward and to rework the Church Road interchange, but there are apparently no plans to provide direct access to Nail Road:
Southaven Mayor Darren Musselwhite has said widening I-55 and building a new interchange could cost about $160 million, although highway engineers have not yet released a final estimate, said Jason Scott, spokesman for the Mississippi Department of Transportation.
"The large-scale project is widening I-55 from Church to just south of Goodman. As part of that project we are going to rework the interchange at I-55 and Church,"  Scott said. "One possible option is a cloverleaf with a loop inside the cloverleaf at the southeast quadrant of the interchange.

The above-linked articles and video gave me the impression that Horn Lake Mayor Allen Latimer was a lone voice in the wilderness pursuing a Nail Road interchange; however, this November 3 article reports that Desoto County officials had a two-day fund-seeking meeting last week with Mississippi Congressmen (as well as Corps of Engineers and federal Transportation staff), with the meeting including the possibility of a Nail Road interchange:

Supervisor Gardner said the two-day meeting last week in Washington was "very productive." He and Supervisor Lee Caldwell of Nesbit, and county consultants, including Tracy Huffman of the Waggoner engineering firm, met with U.S. Rep. Trent Kelly, U.S. Sens. Roger Wicker and Thad Cochran, all R-Miss., plus Corps of Engineers and federal Transportation staff, on road and stormwater/flooding issues.
"We talked specifically about Holly Springs Road and Nail Road and Church Road interchanges," said Gardner. Funding is being sought to elevate flood-prone Holly Springs Road, a major east-west artery, and to handle rising traffic along Interstate 55, as I-69/269 links are being completed.
The "whirlwind" visit was complicated by problems at the D.C. airport what required diversion to Philadelphia, "and we had to catch a train to Washington," said Gardner.

With the plans for the Church Road interchange having not been finalized, it appears that, although the Nail Road interchange may be on life support, Desoto County officials may still have time to keep it alive.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.