News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

MSA's with no four-lane connection to an interstate

Started by webny99, July 20, 2018, 01:48:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClevePVU

Lufkin/Nacogdoches, TX (I-69 coming soon)
Bryan/College Station, TX (I-14 maybe?)

Max Rockatansky

Surprisingly Monterey, CA doesn't have a 4-lane connection to the Interstate system.  CA 68, 1, and 156 all have two-lane segments that ultimately lead to major highways.  If I recall correctly the Monterey Peninsula has something like 55,000 permanent residents.

sparker

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 25, 2018, 12:05:45 AM
Surprisingly Monterey, CA doesn't have a 4-lane connection to the Interstate system.  CA 68, 1, and 156 all have two-lane segments that ultimately lead to major highways.  If I recall correctly the Monterey Peninsula has something like 55,000 permanent residents.

If the gas tax hike isn't rescinded (cross your fingers!), the 2-lane section of CA 156 between CA 1 and US 101 is slated to be upgraded to 2+2 (about damn time, IMO!), making the 156/101 composite route a 4-lane (min.) connection to San Jose and I-280/680.     

jakeroot

Quote from: SteveG1988 on July 24, 2018, 08:07:33 PM
Whidbey Island WA: Population 80,022 residents

Connection to the nearest interstate: Two lane deception pass bridge.
All other connections via ferry.

I would never have guessed Whidbey Island to be an MSA.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: sparker on July 25, 2018, 01:03:55 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 25, 2018, 12:05:45 AM

If the gas tax hike isn't rescinded (cross your fingers!), the 2-lane section of CA 156 between CA 1 and US 101 is slated to be upgraded to 2+2 (about damn time, IMO!), making the 156/101 composite route a 4-lane (min.) connection to San Jose and I-280/680.     

Personally I think all three routes are equally as bad with the two-lane segments.  Any idea if Hollister is part of the upgrades coming up?  I completely forgot 25 and 156 are two lanes out of there as well.

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: jakeroot on July 25, 2018, 01:48:16 AM

It's not, Oak Harbor is the Micropolitan center that is officially listed, population 22k. Still counts towards this thread.

LG-TP260

ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

jakeroot

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on July 25, 2018, 01:18:32 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on July 25, 2018, 01:48:16 AM

It's not, Oak Harbor is the Micropolitan center that is officially listed, population 22k. Still counts towards this thread.

The OP requested core cities of at least 10k people. So Oak Harbor would count, but not Whidbey as a whole.

iowahighways

Quote from: DandyDan on July 21, 2018, 07:18:00 PM
In Iowa, the 3 NW Iowa micropolitan areas of Storm Lake, Spencer and Spirit Lake don't have a 4 lane connection to an interstate. Clinton and Burlington do not have a direct connection to an interstate that's 4 lanes, some of which could be blamed on Illinois.

Carroll has around 10,000 people and is nowhere near a four-lane expressway -- just US 30 and US 71.

Clinton has a four-lane connection to I-80 via US 30 and US 61, while Burlington has one via US 34 and US 218.
The Iowa Highways Page: Now exclusively at www.iowahighways.org
The Iowa Highways Photo Gallery: www.flickr.com/photos/iowahighways/

ModernDayWarrior

Doesn't look like there are any such MSA's in Missouri.

As far as I can tell, the only city over 10K without a four-lane connection to an Interstate is Union (pop. 10,204 at the 2010 census) but it isn't an MSA. Even so it's only about five miles away from I-44, and that stretch of US-50 will probably be upgraded soon anyway.

roadfro

The Pahrump, NV Micropolitan Statistical Area has a population of 42,000+. The MSA area is a pretty vast area that actually includes all of Nye County (the largest county in the state and third largest county in the contiguous US). Virtually none of the county/MSA area has four-lane highways (beyond the main streets/highways through towns), and there are no Interstates.

If you look at the actual town of Pahrump, its population is 36,000+, and it has been a growing bedroom community of Las Vegas for some time. There is currently not a four-lane connection from Pahrump to the Interstate system. However, NDOT has been gradually widening SR 160 from it's junction with I-15 in Las Vegas west towards Pahrump over the last decade or so. The four lane section of SR 160 currently ends about 2 miles east of the towns outer limit, which is about 8 miles from the town center.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.