News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

US-321 between Columbia and Hardeeville

Started by 1995hoo, October 21, 2013, 01:41:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

Subject line notes the road in question. Is it any good and is there any problematic construction? Street View shows it's mostly a two-lane road, which doesn't bother me much unless there are a lot of slowpokes coupled with a lack of passing zones. I'm considering going that way as an alternative to taking I-26 to I-95 next month and I'm wondering if I'd be setting myself up for a slow drive if I do go that way. Google Maps says it's a shorter distance but about half an hour longer than the Interstate (premised of course on going the speed limit), but Google can't tell you about whether a road has a preponderance of trucks or slow-moving tractors or whatever.

I also considered I-20 to Augusta and then going south there, but I think I've decided against that for this trip.

(Yes, this is another iteration of my annual "try to find a new way through some boringly familiar territory" routine.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Alex

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 21, 2013, 01:41:35 PM
Subject line notes the road in question. Is it any good and is there any problematic construction? Street View shows it's mostly a two-lane road, which doesn't bother me much unless there are a lot of slowpokes coupled with a lack of passing zones. I'm considering going that way as an alternative to taking I-26 to I-95 next month and I'm wondering if I'd be setting myself up for a slow drive if I do go that way. Google Maps says it's a shorter distance but about half an hour longer than the Interstate (premised of course on going the speed limit), but Google can't tell you about whether a road has a preponderance of trucks or slow-moving tractors or whatever.

I also considered I-20 to Augusta and then going south there, but I think I've decided against that for this trip.

(Yes, this is another iteration of my annual "try to find a new way through some boringly familiar territory" routine.)

It is a good route if you like railfanning, given the parallel line. Drove it once at night in 2005, it went fairly quickly then. May try it again on my next drive to Cola.

rickmastfan67

Watch out for a speed trap in Olar.

Also, watch out for sudden speed drops when going into other extremely small towns (55 > 25).

Otherwise, in the wide open areas, my dad when he was driving this route could get up to 75 (20 above the limit) with the lack of traffic in some areas because of them being so rural and the State Police not being anywhere near since they can make more money on the Interstates.

1995hoo

Thanks. The various small towns are one reason I asked. I'm often wary of taking rural roads in the South that might pass through small towns precisely because of the speedtrap issue.

rickmastfan67

Might want to play it safe in Norway as well.  Seems the Mayor there is also the head cop.....

PColumbus73

bugo

US 321 is a lonely road that goes through dying towns and poverty-striken rural areas.  It's an interesting drive.  When I hear Pearl Jam's version of "Crazy Mary" I can't help but think about that stretch of highway.

Fred Defender

I drove this route several times in the mid-1980's on my motorcycle on trips between Florida and Ohio. I remembered it as a more relaxing drive and it eliminates the I-95/I-26 dogleg.

I drove it again this past August for the first time in almost thirty years on a trip to Columbia. It's a good bit shorter than driving the interstate but it will probably take you longer. I would recommend NOT speeding along this stretch. Others have noted a few small towns that have a reputation for being speed traps. On my return trip from Columbia, a motorist in a Suburban passed me somewhere in the area of the Scandinavian towns at around dusk. I was doing about 60. A couple of miles down the road, I passed the Suburban as he was having a conversation with a state trooper.

As Alex noted, the route is good for railfanning although it does not seem to be a heavily-used rail line (I saw only one train on the drive south and none as I headed north).

Lots of neat old buildings including a 1950's vintage former Shell gas station (I forget what town). There's also the abandoned truck stop on the 301 section near Ulmer. Pretty cool.

Whether or not you opt for 321, you need to exit I-95 at Hardeeville and check out Gwen & Frannie's Fried Chicken. It's only a mile or so off the interstate and you'll never find better chicken anywhere.
AGAM

froggie

QuoteMight want to play it safe in Norway as well.  Seems the Mayor there is also the head cop.....

A year late, but it appears the "mayor/cop" passed away after he was suspended from office by the governor:

http://www.wistv.com/story/21572378/suspended-norway-mayor-jim-preacher-dies

Jerseyman4

Unless you're clinching US 321 in South Carolina or want to try a new road for the hell of it, I DO NOT recommend US 321 between Columbia and Hardeeville. Although it moves most of the way (southern half moreso than near Columbia), the sudden speed zone drops (55mph to 30mph) through several tiny incorporated towns of less than 100 people, can be very risky if law enforcement catches you blowing by those speed limits. A lot of slowpokes use that road and thankfully, there are numerous legal passing zones.

wriddle082

Quote from: Jerseyman4 on February 04, 2015, 04:53:46 PM
Unless you're clinching US 321 in South Carolina or want to try a new road for the hell of it, I DO NOT recommend US 321 between Columbia and Hardeeville. Although it moves most of the way (southern half moreso than near Columbia), the sudden speed zone drops (55mph to 30mph) through several tiny incorporated towns of less than 100 people, can be very risky if law enforcement catches you blowing by those speed limits. A lot of slowpokes use that road and thankfully, there are numerous legal passing zones.

I second that sentiment, being a resident of a town near US 321 just south of Columbia.  I only use that road if I have business in that general direction.

However, if you're dead set on going that way, SC 3 is a slightly-less-depressing though somewhat desolate good alternate route from Swansea to Estill.  Goes through fewer slow-you-down small towns, usually even less traffic than 321, and some fun curves between Barnwell and Estill.  If your travels take you from Columbia down to the US 301 corridor into Georgia, then SC 3 is definitely recommended over US 321.

bugo

I thought US 321 was a great drive. Most of the towns along the route are dying. and there is abandoned shit everywhere.

Alex

I have opted for US 321 to Cola from Savannah to avoid holiday traffic on I-95 in December. The small town slow downs do get old, but it still was a better alternative to crawling on eight mile exit less stretches on the freeway due to volume. With that stated, the pavement on the straight away north of Hardeeville was in pretty bad shape when I last took it, making it hard to do 62 without jolting the crap of your car.

Mapmikey

An alternative to the lower end of US 321 is to use SC/GA 119 to GA 21.  I did this last month and it wasn't bad...just two towns (Springfield and Rincon).  No idea how it compares time-wise, but on busy days northbound it might make sense to avoid the backup caused by the lane drop near the Savannah River Bridge on I-95.

Mapmikey

1995hoo

Since I'm the one who originally posted the thread back in October 2013, I appreciate the ongoing advice. We have not ultimately used this road (not yet, anyway). On our December 2013 trip south (destination: Viera) we dropped south from Greensboro via Asheboro and reconnected to I-95 near Florence. On our June 2014 trip (first destination: Venice) we used Mapmikey's suggestion of taking Georgia's Fall Line Expressway from near Augusta west towards Macon (connecting via two-lane roads where the expressway isn't done) and then heading south on I-75. This past Christmas (destination: Viera) we dropped southeast to Wilmington and took the coast road (I am glad I did this, but Ms1995hoo wound up being utterly sick of the traffic lights).

I might yet consider taking 321, but after this past December, I'm not so sure. It comes in the latter half of the day and I have a feeling I would receive a harangue from the passenger seat.

wriddle082

Quote from: Mapmikey on February 05, 2015, 09:31:03 AM
An alternative to the lower end of US 321 is to use SC/GA 119 to GA 21.  I did this last month and it wasn't bad...just two towns (Springfield and Rincon).  No idea how it compares time-wise, but on busy days northbound it might make sense to avoid the backup caused by the lane drop near the Savannah River Bridge on I-95.

During morning and afternoon rush hours, GA 21 gets pretty slow with commuters going between Springfield and Rincon to the Port of Savannah, as well as trucks between I-95 and the Port.  It really took me by surprise just how bad it got, but I would assume it's due to lower taxes/cost of living in Effingham County versus Chatham County.  During off hours, I would assume traffic isn't nearly as bad.

Fred Defender

Quote from: wriddle082 on February 04, 2015, 08:15:06 PM
Quote from: Jerseyman4 on February 04, 2015, 04:53:46 PM

I second that sentiment, being a resident of a town near US 321 just south of Columbia.  I only use that road if I have business in that general direction.

However, if you're dead set on going that way, SC 3 is a slightly-less-depressing though somewhat desolate good alternate route from Swansea to Estill.  Goes through fewer slow-you-down small towns, usually even less traffic than 321, and some fun curves between Barnwell and Estill.  If your travels take you from Columbia down to the US 301 corridor into Georgia, then SC 3 is definitely recommended over US 321.

I might have to try that next trip to Columbia. I've been jonesing for Gwen & Franny's Fried Chicken, too.
AGAM

VTGoose

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 05, 2015, 09:41:24 AM
Since I'm the one who originally posted the thread back in October 2013, I appreciate the ongoing advice. We have not ultimately used this road (not yet, anyway). On our December 2013 trip south (destination: Viera) we dropped south from Greensboro via Asheboro and reconnected to I-95 near Florence. On our June 2014 trip (first destination: Venice) we used Mapmikey's suggestion of taking Georgia's Fall Line Expressway from near Augusta west towards Macon (connecting via two-lane roads where the expressway isn't done) and then heading south on I-75. This past Christmas (destination: Viera) we dropped southeast to Wilmington and took the coast road (I am glad I did this, but Ms1995hoo wound up being utterly sick of the traffic lights).

I might yet consider taking 321, but after this past December, I'm not so sure. It comes in the latter half of the day and I have a feeling I would receive a harangue from the passenger seat.

Bumping this after pulling the trigger on taking this route. Did our "Mountains to the Gulf" trip for the holidays (Southwest Virginia to Apollo Beach). Going south on Christmas Eve day wasn't bad, I-95 in South Carolina wasn't half bad (a rarity). The trip home the day after New Year's Day was a pain in the backside. Between post-holiday traffic and 'Cocks heading home from the Outback Bowl, there was much traffic and multiple slowdowns on I-75, on US 301 (at Stark of course, although going through town on Walnut St. instead of the clogged main drag kept us moving), and on I-95. Per usual, the major clog started not too far north of exit 109 and continued into South Carolina. A quick look at Waze showed the clog continuing on north and I had no desire to creep along at 35 mph (with swings from 70 to standstill) for 80-some miles, so it was off the ramp at Hardeeville. Getting to U.S. 321 was quick and easy and it was straight, flat, and empty. I ran at 64 most of the way, slowing down for the various towns. Pavement in places was not great (it seemed like the subgrade was sinking in some stretches) but otherwise not a bad trip until Gaston, where a lower speed limit, traffic lights, and more traffic killed any advantage.

Given that it is mainly I-95 that needs to be avoided, alternatives might be to take 321 north to Tarboro, then pick up U.S. 601 up to Orangeburg to get on I-26 there, or jump off I-95 at Ridgeland and take U.S. 278 north to hit 601 at Hampton. I'm not sure if these are any better routes and hints/tips about these alternatives would be appreciated.

Bruce, back in frigid Blacksburg
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

1995hoo

Quote from: VTGoose on January 03, 2018, 11:00:59 AM

Given that it is mainly I-95 that needs to be avoided, alternatives might be to take 321 north to Tarboro, then pick up U.S. 601 up to Orangeburg to get on I-26 there, or jump off I-95 at Ridgeland and take U.S. 278 north to hit 601 at Hampton. I'm not sure if these are any better routes and hints/tips about these alternatives would be appreciated.

My main concern about exiting I-95 at Ridgeland would be that you go through Ridgeland. It's long been notorious as an I-95 speedtrap and I'd be reluctant to find out whether they're as bad off the Interstate as they are on it (I kind of doubt it, seeing as how the Interstate lets them prey on out-of-staters, but I'd rather let someone else find out!).

Mapmikey

Suggest using GA 21 to GA 119 to US 321, which avoids much of the logjam from the lane drop. 

If 321 to Gaston is OK, you could use SC 6 northwest from Swansea to I-20 or US 178/SC 172/SC 6 east from North to I-26.

278 and 601 are emptier than 321 but going through Orangeburg (no true bypass coming from Bamberg) will mitigate some of that benefit...

You can avoid Ridgeland by using SC 462 instead over to US 278

wriddle082

Quote from: Mapmikey on January 03, 2018, 11:20:39 AM
Suggest using GA 21 to GA 119 to US 321, which avoids much of the logjam from the lane drop. 

If 321 to Gaston is OK, you could use SC 6 northwest from Swansea to I-20 or US 178/SC 172/SC 6 east from North to I-26.

278 and 601 are emptier than 321 but going through Orangeburg (no true bypass coming from Bamberg) will mitigate some of that benefit...

You can avoid Ridgeland by using SC 462 instead over to US 278

GA 21 from Garden City up past 95 to Rincon and Springfield has its own issues.  Heavy traffic coming from the Port of Savannah heading for 95 and beyond, and heavy commuter traffic into and out of Effingham County.  It's so bad that it makes the state line lane drop seem not so bad.

And by the time you've reached Gaston, you only go through four or five more traffic lights in six or seven miles and you're at I-77 and I-26.  Trust me, I live near there, it's not so bad.  Might have caught it during rush hour.  And I hate SC 6 from SC 302 to I-20, even the four lane portion!  And the ongoing I-20 widening project around Lexington is a bit harrowing.

Either way, avoiding I-95 may be the initial intent on using 321, but avoiding I-26 is strongly suggested as well, since the snowbird migration route from eastern OH and western PA and NY utilizes I-77, I-26, and I-95.

VTGoose

Quote from: wriddle082 on January 03, 2018, 05:20:33 PM
And by the time you've reached Gaston, you only go through four or five more traffic lights in six or seven miles and you're at I-77 and I-26.  Trust me, I live near there, it's not so bad.  Might have caught it during rush hour.  And I hate SC 6 from SC 302 to I-20, even the four lane portion!  And the ongoing I-20 widening project around Lexington is a bit harrowing.

Either way, avoiding I-95 may be the initial intent on using 321, but avoiding I-26 is strongly suggested as well, since the snowbird migration route from eastern OH and western PA and NY utilizes I-77, I-26, and I-95.

The last stretch through Gaston wasn't overly bad, it just came in the dark after we were already about 8 hours into our trip. We did almost extend it a bit longer since the ramp to I-77 isn't really well marked.

The best-case scenario is for South Carolina to widen I-95 from the Georgia line at least to I-26 and widen I-26, or for Georgia to see the light an open the central part of the state by extending I-77 (in conjunction with SC) to Valdosta and I-75.

Bruce in Blacksburg
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

sparker

Quote from: VTGoose on January 03, 2018, 10:15:04 PM
Quote from: wriddle082 on January 03, 2018, 05:20:33 PM

The last stretch through Gaston wasn't overly bad, it just came in the dark after we were already about 8 hours into our trip. We did almost extend it a bit longer since the ramp to I-77 isn't really well marked.

The best-case scenario is for South Carolina to widen I-95 from the Georgia line at least to I-26 and widen I-26, or for Georgia to see the light an open the central part of the state by extending I-77 (in conjunction with SC) to Valdosta and I-75.

Bruce in Blacksburg

I would suggest widening both I-95 at least from the border to I-26 and I-26 between I-95 and I-77 out to 6 lanes, plus installation of flyovers from I-95 NB to I-26 WB -- as well as I-95 SB to I-26 EB -- and beef up the corresponding direct ramps to 2 lanes each.  That would obviate having to extend I-77 anywhere -- GA tends to procrastinate on any road development outside greater Atlanta; it's not likely that a Augusta-Valdosta Interstate corridor is on their radar.

roadman65

I distinctly remember that US 601 once shared pavement with US 321 to Hardeeville at one time. 

Anyway, one road geek, he is not a member here but had his own ends site about 20 years ago, he suggested once that US 321 should go to Hinesville, GA and terminate there.  After hearing the talk of the long narrow road to Hardeeville and AASHTO truncating US 601, makes me wonder why that site owner suggested his routing of going to Hinesville.  Plus, on a map it looks more direct too, so you could consider going that way either exit I-95 at South Newport and cutting over to avoid the dull drive in that part of Jasper County.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.