News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

In 1967 Kansas asked AASHO to extend US 270

Started by usends, December 29, 2019, 06:56:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

usends

At the time US 270 went all the way up to Syracuse KS.  KDoT wanted it extended due north to I-70 at Goodland, but AASHO denied the request.  See article
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

sparker

Quote from: usends on December 29, 2019, 06:56:31 PM
At the time US 270 went all the way up to Syracuse KS.  KDoT wanted it extended due north to I-70 at Goodland, but AASHO denied the request.  See article

Back before the functional completion of the Interstate system -- when the US Highway network was still the principal road navigational tool around -- it made sense for a diagonal regional server such as US 270 to extend to a major E-W arterial such as US 50 to potentially provide traffic for the 3dus.   It looks like the '67 effort was to extend that concept to the nearest available E-W Interstate.  But the extension would have created a change in basic trajectory for US 270; that's probably the rationale utilized to deny the request (it's difficult to imagine any confusion regarding a conflict with I-270, since the KS 27 alignment was far enough from the I-270 iterations in Denver and St. Louis).  Once I-70 was completed across KS, the rationale for US 270 in the state was increasingly moot, so the truncation to Liberal isn't at all surprising; the path from Liberal to US 50 was convoluted/contrived at best. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.